I met the new Chivas USA President tonight.

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by EastLAChiva, Oct 25, 2012.

1. hovz1105

hovz1105 Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Westside
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    "Bandwagon Fans" is just a lazy insult. Every fanbase wants a winner. People love to taught Pittsburgh as this true blue city. Blah, blah, blah. But ill give you a few nuggets of info the next time you want to troll anyone pumping a Pittsburgh team.

The Steelers - They were the LA CLippers of Pro Football until the 70's when they started winning Super Bowls.
    The Pirates - They have the most beautiful ballpark in the Majors. Before this past season they had some of the lowest attendance numbers in baseball. They often made CUSA games look like Sounder homegames. This past season the attendance shot up. Why? They started the season hot and had their best year since Barry Bonds left the team in the 90s. Which happened to be a season in which they were in the NLCS. No last place teams there. Back then the playoffs was short, not this long one we have today.
    The Penguins - The Penguins drew horribly. Pens got Mario. Mario leads them to a couple Cups. Mario retires. Team goes in the shitter. Team is bankrupt. Team is under constant threat of relocating or sale. Mario buys team. Mario comes back. (I FORGET THE SEQUENCE) Attendance comes back.

It happens everywhere. Yes, even Seattle. (SEE THE MARINERS).

So "Bandwagon Fans" is a little lazy. When teams actually accomplish things like winning TITLES, they get more attention. Basic Math, bruvs. Everyone wants to ******** the hot chick with the huge tits, not the fat pregnant hoe.

I like Lamp.

CTS26 and sodi_gar repped this.
  2. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling by this afternoon Chivas USA will lose most of it's nonMexican fanbase

3. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The loyalty has no color sex or race ….
    If any of the “fans“ of Chivas USA decide to live then …they were not so loyal
    We are here for the long run …take it or leave it but before anything please understand what you are supporting it will make your decision much easier !

The few the proud the Core Chivas USA fans !
    awebo y lo que no pus al re-cycle

4. Chester

Chester Member

Dec 30, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rey, I get your point, but it did strike me a little bit funny given that your "Club" is listed as Guadalajara, not Chivas USA.:p

I for one was hoping for some details out of Vergara. It seems everything he said was more or less a rehash of things that had been generally speculated about already for weeks. "Mexicanization" or not, I don't really care, but nothing I've heard yet indicates he understands how MLS works any better than he did in 2005. If that is why Jose Domene still has a job, then OK, but in that case what has changed?

5. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    At least they could have added LA to the team name, which appears to be one of the things about this team that disturbs people.

6. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Los Angeles Chivas de Guadalajara de Mexico de los Estados Unidos de America del Planeta Tierra del...

pirozhok repped this.
  7. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Is that the new name!

8. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    it'll be abbreviated "ChivasNoM@m3s" for games and print ads.

9. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea Member

Aug 19, 2008
    A big opportunity is being lost here to appeal to a wider audience than just Chivas fans. The team should firstly align itself with LA and then adopt a name with a wider appeal - LA Latinos?

sodi_gar repped this.
  10. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a private meeting with supporters, that's basically what he said. The press conference was more of a manifesto.
    Vergara is basically looking for a second chance.

11. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Brother I love both goats from the bottom of my heart
    It is a great satisfaction to have Chivas USA here in LA I’m a Core Chivas fan
    And the best thing here is that I get to share the passion for the red and white with my Kids born in this country, that culture and rich history that Chivas has and that know Chivas USA carries,,, our Kidsl put the USA on Chivas USA like someone has mention all ready
    Aweboooo!

12. jathan

jathan Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Ontario, California
    Was the possibility of adding Los Angeles to the name ever discussed?

BTW here's an interview with Nación ESPN at that press conference. Its in spanish but it mostly covers what you've all already heard.

13. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    I asked him in the private suporters meeting if he planned to incorporate Los Angeles in the name, he said it's something they're looking to do.

I re-listened to the entire press conference. I only heard one hard question from a journalist, the rest were softball questions about Mexico Guadalajara + Chivas USA. LMAO, some guy asked if he planned on having Claudio Suarez play again with Chivas USA.

The question refereed to non-hispanic fans and non-hispanic players. He said we need to improve the non-hispanic fan base.

14. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    hearing darth vergara speaking for all that time about how he's trying to make the club even MORE mexican, then spitting out that nonsense? he must think CUSA's fan base is pretty ignorant about what's going on. like we're just gonna nod and say, "yes sir. brilliant, sir."

isnt it a B how the bosses talk nonst0p about guadalajara, mexico, image, brand and then eventually backup that vision with "yeah we'll also try and get some good players" or "sure, we'll try and be more inclusive with our non-mexican fan base"? i mean, its almost as if this whole "football" thing is last on the priority list. marketing his brand and fueling his mothership seems to be objective numero uno. whenever he talks about chivas guad its almost always related to whats going on on the field. whenever he talks about CUSA (and let's face it, he never does), its about his brand and image.

ladies and gentlemen, our owner. i hate to say it, but we're screwed.

District3Mom repped this.
  15. ekker3

ekker3 Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    potential name change to Chivas E.E.U.U ?

16. Choang

Choang New Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA

This is where I am. I'll be honest, he did try to make it positive in the press conference from what I have heard. He did try to make it seem like he is shifting towards including a non-Mexican fan base. However, actions speak louder than words. The only actions I have seen so far: hiring a president that has no idea how to run an MLS club and bringing in a scout who was surprised there wasn't a single Mexican player on the team.

I enjoy soccer, it doesn't even have to be good (case in point I've held season tickets for the past 2 seasons). I just want to enjoy soccer where I know I'm welcomed vs. not.

C-bus and Gameface repped this.
  17. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After many seasons in the trenches as a supporter for this club, I find myself in the same spot as you. The comments and ethnic pandering have been a let down for any supporter that doesn't quite fit into Vergara's narrow vision of who this club supposedly represents. I'm here for the football, not ethnic/nationalistic exclusivity.

C-bus and Going Mobile repped this.
  18. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I might sound F@kt up but this is what Chivas USA is, Vergara is saying clearly and simple, we as a club made a bad decision when we try to part ways from the roots of the big brother GDL
    the Cue brother – lost control over the clubs direction and purpose
    Having Vergara as a 100% owner is the best thing that could have happened to Chivas USA, this way there is no one else to blame for ( before between Vergara and the Cue brothers) the ball was just past around and no one would take full responsibility of the club
    To me it is not a big deal I don’t really care if Chivas USA plays with more Koreans , Armenians, Salvadorians, what I want is a competitive futbol club
    If we start wining …trust me the Last thing in our heads would be “did the guy that score was Japanese?” ooo f@ck I’m not going to celebrate

Fans this is Chivas USA you have a choice support or not support like I mention there are more MLS team more AMERICAN than Chivas USA
    My 2 pesos

19. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rey IF they go back to the original plan and go with a pure latino flavor with only spanish PAs, marketing, TV etc THEY WILL FAIL. and you're right it will blamed all on one guy now.
    I HATE the "if you dont like it leave" attitude. not a very inclusive policy for any business to have. Why alienate 2/3 of your potential fans ?

I am in a wait and see mode. Lots of talk, lots of sound bites right now. I want to see action before I decide the next step. I dont think we will see the plan until early next year. Soon the FO will shut down for the holidays and announcements and communication will be scarce

Gameface repped this.
  20. Chester

Chester Member

Dec 30, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got to consider, REY, that as a marketing strategy, tying yourself even more closely to a foreign club that 99% of LA doesn't give one $h1t about (OK, if you only consider soccer fans, maybe it is 95%), may not be the smart way to go.

Consider also from the soccer standpoint, if you develop or acquire a top Mexican or Mexican-American player, is that player ever going to play for "little brother" CUSA? over "big brother" GDL?? No way! So the relationship limits CUSA in more ways than it benefits them IMHO.

21. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    LAG STH. I come in peace.

Does Vergara not realise how divisive this all is? It's going to rub enough fans up the wrong way if he focusses primarily on one demographic. But by emphasising on the "Chivas" part, does he not realise how many Mexican fans will refuse to support them?

Sure, Chivas Guadalajara has a huge following, but so too does Club America. Not one of those people will get behind a wing of Chivas. Nor will fans of most other Mexican clubs.

If Roman Abramovich bought an expansion team, declared it Chelsea USA and targeted English ex-pats (like myself), good luck getting non-Chelsea fans to attend. In fact, good luck getting full support from Chelsea fans, as plenty will see it as a cheesey cash-in.

22. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're preaching to the choir and its time for a new sermon.
    He owns this team outright. He will live and die with this team based on how he runs it.
    He's a smart man and I know he wants a second chance to see this through.
    We'll all have to wait and see.

23. Truhero

Truhero Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Section 101
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I know at least 10 Club America fans that support Chivas USA as well as supporters from many other Mexican teams that can recognize the difference.

24. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    as I have stated before I don’t care what we do who we bring
    I want a well structured winning club that’s it, and for all the fans that are not Mexican that support this club heeeee Chivas UISA is what you want it to be !
    To me Chivas USA is family
    all leave it at that Chivabrother

25. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most distinctive thing about Chivas Guadalajara besides their Chivas nickname is that they play with an all-Mexican (including non-Mexican citizens with Mexican ancestry) roster in Mexico's league.
    How about Chivas USA play with an all-USA roster in USA's league?
    Completely opposite of this would be to make deals to acquire foreign player slots to be able to have a roster of all Mexicans plus non-Mexican citizens with Mexican ancestry.
    Which of these approaches is more feasible?
    Which of these approaches would gain the club more fans?