I meant what I said and I said what I meant. MLS will be a top league in the World by 2022 one-hund

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by triplet1, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the goal was to pay players as much as those teams do, you'd be right. But common sense tells us that that is not the case.

Look at those Ligue 1 rosters and you'll see that almost all of the players on the squads, especially near the foot of the table, are French, or from Francophone countries closely linked to France, like Senegal or the Ivory Coast. Only a handful of players on each team fall outside that definition.

It's possible that Ligue 1 is working in a completely open labor market, where players are free to play anywhere in the world, and French players are ending up in France as a total coincidence. But it doesn't seem likely.

So what is the obvious conclusion?

Most players on teams in most domestic leagues are domestic players.

Therefore, the total wage costs of a team in a domestic league has more to do with the domestic player market than it does with the international player market. In other words, MLS's relatively low wage costs do not necessarily reflect the level of play on the field; they represent a relatively high supply of, and relatively low demand for, American domestic players in American professional soccer

2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arguez sure made the league better eh (he was just cut after coming back to the league from overseas) ?

Big issue with what Cosmo_Kid (and many others that do this) brings up is that all they do is focus on the handful that make their case. They completely ignore the twice/thrice/four times as big of a list of players that DON'T make this league or equivalent/slightly better foreign league any better.

3. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Fernando Clavijo:

4. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Well, let's look at an MLS 20 man roster. For teams with 8 international players (which may be supplemented by one or two who have green cards) they certainly are free to shop elsewhere, and if MLS wants better players in that group than it currently has, you'd expect is has to pay something closer to market wage for what better players can make elsewhere.

For the rest, the 10 -12 domestic players, you're right many won't have any other realistic options, but if this pool of players really does improve in quality, you would expect some portion of this group of domestic players, say even three or four, will have some choices. MLS may not have to match what they can obtain elsewhere, but again, with the lure of Europe already strong, MLS is going to have to pay something closer to market to have a shot to retain these players IMO, and other leagues in Europe simply pay more.

So, in nine years time, if MLS really does improve in quality, I think perhaps 12 or 13 members of the 20 man MLS roster will have realistic choices to play in other leagues, and MLS wants to keep these higher quality players it is going to pay a lot more than the current structure allows.

5. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have to pay a market wage. They don't have to pay a French market wage. Remember, there are barriers to entry in Europe. That's why only about a quarter of MLS foreign players come from Europe; more than half come from counties in South or Central America or the Caribbean, countries where the domestic market is weaker and players don't have EU passports, and therefore don't have easy access to the richer EU labor market.

So we get good players from South America who aren't quite good enough to play in Europe. And the fact that we have so many foreign roster spots, relatively speaking, depresses the domestic player wages that much more.

I wouldn't expect that. Three or four players per team is about 50-75 players total. Right now Yanks Abroad is tracking just about 100 American players in foreign leagues, total--and probably half of those, or more, are either (1) MLS washouts who are choosing lower foreign leagues over the NASL, not MLS, or (2) technically US-eligible players who were born and raised in other countries or otherwise eligible for an EU or Mexican passport.

Again: if you don't have an EU passport, it is hard to get a job playing soccer in Europe. There are only about 150 non-Europeans playing in Serie A right now, one of whom is American. The numbers get tighter in the less elite leagues; there are just about fifty non-Euros in the Netherlands--again, with one American.

Unless you think MLS is going to start producing nothing but Michael Bradleys, I don't see that there's anything to worry about. If all American players improve, then the league improves, even if slightly more of them head off to greener (or in the case of Euros, rainbow-colored) pastures. There just aren't enough European jobs to take fifty Sasha Kljestans--and that means some of them will stay here and keep improving our league. And even if they did, MLS is the clear second choice for the Central American and African players whose jobs they'll be taking.

Honestly, the thing that would hurt MLS competitiveness in the global talent the most isn't wage stagnation or improving American talent. It would be either (1) the complete break-up of the European Union, or (2) a loosening of the tight AFC "3+1" restrictions on foreign players in domestic leagues. Neither seems likely at this point.

manoa, Jasonma and Inca Roads repped this.
  6. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Do you expect the upper echelon MLS domestic player in nine years time will be of higher quality than now? Because if he isn't, MLS' goal of being a top league with higher quality players is going to be stillborn. If he is, he'll have better choices.

And I'm betting the European clubs, who can pay these better MLS more and still realize a substantial savings over their own pool of domestic players, will encourage changes in the rules to make them easier to sign. But even with the limitations on foreign players in various leagues, there's simply too much movement of players now for MLS to develop all these high quality players with the expectation that they can pay them substantially less than other leagues IMO. If it isn't Europe, it will be the Middle East or Mexico or Asia. If MLS has all these great, comparatively cheap players running around one of the self described top leagues in the world, someone is going to notice.

We also haven't talked about the existing foreign players. Again, if MLS wants them to be substantially better than the current pool, it will have to pay more for them too.

If we take MLS at its word -- that it really plans to be a top league by 2022 with substantially higher quality players -- payrolls will have to increase substantially too, or MLS will have to become very adept at reloading and replacing players as the move on.

7. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally like your analysis, though I tend to be more optimistic than you are with regard to where this league can go. Considering everything, I don't consider the leap from $15.5 million to $25 million (the low end of what you consider the second tier) to be that big a leap whatsoever. Using the numbers already mentioned within the thread, $3.5 million of that gap is already accounted for with the new TV deals. Add in the fact that we will have at least one, and probably two more new TV cycles before 2022 rolls around, and I would have to think that TV alone will pay for the gap. In addition, local TV revenue is probably negative at this point, and that would be the next big frontier (unless you're the LA Galaxy).

One way of looking at it is breaking down what parts of revenue will grow geometrically versus those that will grow only incrementally. I tend to agree, for instance, that gameday revenue (tickets, concessions, merchandise) will probably not grow by leaps and bounds, but there are other ways that the league can get money. For instance, one of the biggest changes implemented by the league that brought in a great deal of revenue was the addition of jersey sponsors. I don't know what else they can do, but MLS has a good track record in this regard.

The other interesting part is that this will be a moving target. As saturated as Mexico is with soccer, Liga MX has done nothing but move forward over the last five years, probably spurred at least in part by finally having some actual competition. The question will be not what is the current target, but what is the 2022 targe.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Maybe your moving target is going the wrong way? Maybe Garber is banking on a European collapse.

9. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I think MLS could catch up to Liga MX in terms of quality by 2022. That would be a huge achievement too.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Truth. If MLS could be one of the top three or four leagues in the Americas, that would be massive. If unlikely.

11. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of those players will have better choices; some won't. Just like now. MLS won't capture all of the improvement, but it'll capture some of it, simply because total spots for foreign players are limited.

More than they've done to sign Brazilian or Argentine or Colombian players? If American players are competing on that level, we'll already have won the war.

It will not be the Middle East or Asia, unless the AFC significantly relaxes its current non-AFC player restrictions. The barriers there are even higher than Europe. That's why right now, with Lee Nguyen back in MLS, there is not a single American playing in an Asian league.

Not if they're facing increased competition from very good American players. Every spot an American takes on a French or German roster is an African or Caribbean or South American pushed back to MLS.

Payroll will have to increase, sure. But it won't have to increase to the level of a European league of equivalent quality. That's the point.

12. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Which is why I'm not even bothering to compare MLS to the top clubs in the top leagues that it says it will soon join. The numbers are hopeless there. That's also why I've suggested applying a "home town" discount to part of the domestic roster, because certianly a chunk of the roster will play for less, including part of the senior roster and likely most of players 21 - 30.

So we're not talking about the top 79 big revenue UEFA clubs. We're not even talking about the payrolls of the top 100 UEFA clubs, which includes most of the clubs in the big five leagues. We're talking about the 50 clubs below that, and we're looking at the lower end of the range, clubs 120 - 150, to discount it even further. Nor have I applied any escalator to what those leagues are likely to be paying in ten years time -- I've left it a fixed target (which isn't very likely, even with FFP).

And with all of that, you think the number is still too high?

Just how much do you want to water this down given the goal they've set?

If the budget for the senior roster, reportedly $2,810M last season, continues to adjust at a rate of 5% a year, it will be $4,577 million in ten years time.

If the players on MLS rosters are really going to be that much better in ten years time -- one of the top leagues in the world, remember -- $4.577M for the senior roster sure isn't going to get it done.

Or perhaps you think it will?

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it makes a big difference to your overall point, but there's one American in the A-League, which is an Asian league.

14. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch--forgot about him. Not that his is a story any promising young player wants to emulate.

15. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to water down the goal. I'm just looking at a different goal: quality of play on the field, rather than amount of money paid to players.

Why not? Liga MX is probably one of the top leagues in the world based on their performances on the field, and their payrolls likely aren't that much larger ($5m-$10m). And their domestic player market, despite the gentleman's agreement, is a lot more inflated than ours.

Again, spending money is not the point: quality on the field is the point.

Tell me why French teams field mostly French players, despite having no real restrictions on the number of German or English or Spanish players who can play for them. That's the same reason MLS can pay American players less than France pays French players to get the same performance.

16. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because only 1-3 of them can actually compete in the inflated Euro market.

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now there is one American, one Englishman, one Mexican, no Germans, no Dutchmen, and no Italians playing in Ligue 1. (According to Wikipedia, at least).

Are those countries not producing players that can "compete in the inflated Euro market" either?

There are also eleven Ivoirians and thirteen Malian players in Ligue 1. Are those countries outstripping the US (and Mexico and Germany and England and Holland and Italy) in player development?

I'm not disagreeing that U.S. players are not in demand on the world markets. I'm disagreeing with the idea that the world soccer market is a perfect market with no barriers to entry, which means that if the average American player suddenly improved to the level of the average French player, they would all get jobs in France and MLS would be left with the has-beens and also-rans.

18. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the TEAMS in Ligue 1 can't compete $$$$$ wise in the inflated Euro market so they've stuck with mostly domestic players because the French National Player fits in right where the league does: Just below the true elite, but better than the vast majority of everyone else.

19. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that makes just as little sense. The French teams and the French players are competing in the same market. If the French teams couldn't compete in that market, the French players wouldn't be playing for them. The best of them would replace mediocre Italians in Serie A or mediocre Germans in the Bundesliga, and those players would end up in Ligue 1 as a result. It would be an incredible coincidence if out of all of the best European players that every Ligue 1 team, top to bottom, can afford, the majority of them just happened to be French.

Consider instead the possibility that you've confused causation and correlation. The French league is about as good as the average French player not because of any magic coincidence, but because, like almost every other soccer league in the world, they depend on domestic players to make up the bulk of their rosters.

soccersubjectively and Inca Roads repped this.
  20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I believe the number of US players that have made the jump from a Scandinavian league to a Big 4 league in Europe currently stands at 0.

MLS has a much better track record of getting players into the top leagues in Europe.

Players are figuring that out. It takes time. MLS is still a relatively brand new league. When you think about it. We are only just now seeing prospects who "grew up" with MLS hitting their late teens.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  21. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    One of the world's top leagues by 2022 with all these top quality players, domestic and foreign, willing to play for a fraction of what they could earn in other leagues and all MLS needs to do is increase the salary budget 5% a year?

That's less than $5 million in salary budget for a top quality club in 2022?

If you really believe that there's not much more to say.

22. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I respect you a ton as a poster, but you're entire argument is based on the assumption that this is the plan.

Its an assumption, and it could possibly be grossly inaccurate.

23. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    To be clear, I'm not assuming MLS believes anything of the kind. I was responding to another poster who suggested MLS could achieve its 2022 goals even if the pay structure stays the same -- increasing the budget 5% a year. I don't think that's realistic, and I would bet MLS doesn't think that's realistic either. Certainly MLS hasn't said anything of the kind.

How much more will it cost for MLS to be the league it wants to be by 2022? That's certainly debatable, but my bias remains that it is going to be a lot more expensive than fans believe. Even since MLS began player salaries have exploded, and the idea that MLS can produce or buy a league full of top quality players in ten years time who are willing to play for a small fraction of what they might earn elsewhere seems highly unlikely IMO. And, again, I think MLS' plan will acknowledge that, so I'm surprised this is even controversial.

There's no free lunch here. If MLS really is to become a top quality league with top quality players, it will have to pay more in labor costs -- just as fans, broadcasters and sponsors will be expected to pay more too.

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sematics again I guess.

Heath Pearce (Promoted to B1)
    Charlie Davis (French 1).

Both did not stick around very long in top flight.

Also didn't Gatt go from Denmark to Bundesliga?

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    s7kru repped this.