I just ate here and it was really good: rep your local restaurants

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bungadiri, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A quick trip around the internet to look at menus and some pictures leads me to say, damn! That looks like some damn fine food. Hope the restauranteurs know what they're doing.

2. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eritrean cuisine features far too little goat. this is a fatal flaw. it must be dealt with.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've only had goat in Indian restaurants, never had it in my limited experience of African cuisine.

Now, yak...

[​IMG]

Lhasa Cafe, Northampton, MA. Ate there two years ago. Was a little concerned about the source of the yak meat, but the next day as I was walking to Amherst on my pilgimmage to Emily Dickinson's house, the trail passed a farm featuring free-range yak.

[​IMG]

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's one fine yak, mister.

goat is very N. African and of course Mexican cooking has birria, the delectable baby goat soup/stew.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    El Cazador #2, Governors Drive, Huntsville. I've been going here about once a month for a few years. Always been pleased. The image is from www.al.com from a while back. Not me.

[​IMG]

Also, when I lived in ATL there was this hole/wall place in SW called Home Box. Korean owned, Korean fare. Last time I went there was around 2002, and they still had pictures of Peabo Bryson and Lionel Richie on the walls.

6. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kerostena

[​IMG]
    that's the Kerostena salad, a good amount of feta and kalamata olives on a bed of mixed greens.

i had chicken shawarma, on a savory rice, with a bit of salad and a very large dollop of hummus.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Meat & veggie combo at Mamoun's (originally started in the Village) in New Brunswick:

[​IMG]

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I accidentally spent my wedding anniversary last year doing hookers and blow with my bros, I knew I had to to make it up to my lovely wife this year. So this year I took her to the new tapas place in Ann Arbor, called Aventura.
    http://aventuraannarbor.com/

Disclaimer: I was starving when we got there, so my shoes probably would have tasted great. That said, we had a great meal and a very nice time. The cochinillo (suckling pig) was as enjoyable as anything I've had in a while. I think its name might have been Wilbur.

The atmosphere was a little too cheek-by-jowl for my taste, but fortunately everybody around us was nice.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    freekickwiz repped this.
  13. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Eli's BBQ

This place is just down the road from my house, so I am a frequent visitor :)

Our city (aka Porkopolis) is hit/miss when it comes to BBQ. These guys are doing it right IMO-the row of smokers behind the restaurant are one sign that they are making the effort. It's a no frills place-all about the food. It's an easy to the stadiums, so if your in the 'Natti for a Reds or Bengals game, it's not a bad pick for a pre/post game meal.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  14. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Real Ray, what's Cincy's obsession with chili? :) Is skyline good?

15. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocharin Thai Bistro is a fairly new Thai restaurant in Seal Beach. I ordered Massumun curry which was superb. There are about 15 curry dishes on the menu, so I will be back several times.

[​IMG]
    600 W. PCH, Ste 108

16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BREW'd is a fairly new gastropub in the Kaimuki neighborhood of Honolulu. Unique, creative menu that includes things like a local spin on poutine using pork adobo, kimchee deviled eggs, and a great selection of sliders (unfortunately they got rid of the duck confit sliders). 16 craft beers on tap and over 100 bottles. The Oktoberfest special food menu included a deep fried, bacon wrapped bratwurst and kraut puppies (hush puppies stuffed with sour kraut, bratwurst, and white cheddar with a beer mustard dipping sauce).

http://brewdcraftpub.com/

[​IMG]

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With the possible exception of "selfie" the word "gastropub" is my least favorite new word of the past few years. But #1) sounds really good, though I'd have to work to get past the poutine part and 2) extremely good, since my all-time favorite omelet was a kimchee omelet over brown rice at a Korean-owned diner that was equal parts greasy spoon as well as macrobiotic.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bigalora
    http://bigalora.com/ann-arbor/

Great pizza, nice bar, fun brunch. The evolution of my taste for Brussels sprouts from childhood hatred to adult enjoyment was completed by one of their pizzas.

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have to give a shout out to Mum Mum (means "let's eat"), a new Thai place on the George Mason Manassas campus. A salad in which every ingredient is deep fried is brilliant!

bungadiri repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Update: never opened. Sign on the door promising "opening soon" for a year, and then gone.

21. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/binh-minh-restaurant-san-jose.

Goat nipples and testicles, blood pudding, and a leaf that the Vietnamese refer to as the "Fart Leaf". Mmmmm, sounds appetizing huh?

Seriously, this place is awesome for a non-trendy, non-pho, Vietnamese drinking food experience. San Jose has about a million good Vietnamese restaurants but very few serve the type of food you'll find here. My top 3 faves are the Grilled Goat Ribs, Cold Smoked Veal and Grilled Ground Goat on Lemongrass Sticks. You are given a huge pile of various leaves, a handful of hot thai peppers and some lemongrass to munch on with the meat dishes. Usually your mouth is on fire so you tend to guzzle whatever alcohol is handy--beer is typical but red wine goes quite well with it too.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like going to Piccolo.
    http://www.piccoloristorante.com/menus

Piccolo is across the street from the Bellmore train station. It is a 50 to 57 minute train ride from Penn Station in Manhattan.

23. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to the Beerfest in Detroit last weekend with a couple of other guys and afterwards our wives met us at Roast
    http://www.roastdetroit.com/

This place ain't cheap. For 6 adults who had some cocktails and 2 bottles of wine, the final bill was around $650. But good lord was it good (and fun) food to eat.

24. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    • Ray’s The Steaks in Arlington, VA. It's a great Birthday place and the beef is grass fed as opposed to grain fed. A bit pricey but worth it. [​IMG]
    • Twisted Vines Bottleshop & Bistro . It's more of a brunch place. We had crab cakes and the Gorgonzola Steak Salad. Top notch place.
    • Boulevard Woodgrill in downtown Clarendon. All American cuisine with a fusion of different regoins. Great place to eat.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A trio of new places here locally and I am loving it.

Tapped - a brewhouse for folks not in college here in the college town

Martin's Smokehouse, which is the first place I've gone to locally which matches what I eat elsewhere when I travel. Very happy about this one. Ate there twice this week.

Rants & Raves Brewery - haven't been there yet but hearing good things.

Dr. Wankler and raza_rebel repped this.