I just ate here and it was really good: rep your local restaurants

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by bungadiri, Jul 22, 2012.

1. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I found a place in Alexandria VA called Teaisms and a tapas restuarant called La Tasca. I don't know why but I have noticed a lot of tapas places in the DC area FWIW.

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alinea in Chicago is pretty good.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Delicias here in Memphis. That's right, a good Mexican in the bbq local. Meets anything we have ever had in Arizona. A plus - if you speak Spanish, the staff will love you. They remember us every time we come in, and address the wife in Spanish from the start.

Oh, and try the Alambre. It is so good a friend wanted to make it his kids middle name.

4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carnitas Snack Shack in San Diego

had the pork sandwich, which had pork loin schnitzel, pulled pork and bacon in it with pepperocini/pickle relish and aioli

other worldly

[​IMG]

Ismitje repped this.
  5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  6. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My director took several of us to Vinology (which he does around the turn of the year).
    http://vinologya2.com/
    I had the juniper roast pork and a steakhouse salad (the steak in the salad was cut as thin a prosciutto and laid over the top of the lettuce). This was the first time I'd ever eaten here and, once our bank account recovers from Christmas, I'm definitely taking my wife.

A few weeks ago my wife took me to Logan for my birthday, and although a 350 percent markup was pretty typical for the wine list, the food was fantastic.
    http://www.logan-restaurant.com/

Both of these places practice the eat local philosophy, to an extent, and in the dead of winter that means a lot of root vegetables, but I never felt like the food was straining to make do.

Tried some bacon ice cream at Vinology, which didn't thrill me.

7. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I'm a big fan of Teasim -- I used to live across the street from the one in Penn Quarter and would get takeout from there all the time. Relatively healthy and tasty.

I want to take a moment to rep a couple food trucks in my area. This is a big trend in DC, like many cities. But I work just outside of DC and we have less to choose from. Still, for anyone in Arlington, I can highly recommend the SeoulFood and Lemongrass trucks. The former, especially, should get its due for fighting a parking ticket levied against it by Arlington police for failing to move their truck (even though they were paying the meters). I realize there are arguments on both sides, but their actions probably made it easier for them and others in the County to continue to feed us.

freekickwiz repped this.
  8. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    My favorite food truck in Arlington is El Chilango, which parks in Courthouse. The tacos are insanely good and the owners of the truck couldn't be more friendly. I probably go once a week.

9. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Hmmmm. Our office is down in Rosslyn. If I head up to Courthouse for lunch, I'm probably heading to Earl's. Their sandwiches are great.

10. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, Earl's is good stuff.

11. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I just found out about Hard Time Cafe....sadly for the Longest time I thought it was Hard Rock Cafe and never bothered going in :thumbsdown:

http://www.hardtimes.com/

12. sportingswan

sportingswan Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My aunt and uncle live literally across the parking lot, but have never gone. They say its good stuff though. Speaking of Naperville, I went to Fiamme over Christmas, a very good gourmet pizza place. 3 different types of olive oil and it was so good. A more local pick is Charley's in Mankato, MN. Very classy family run joint that walks a tightrope of American and middle eastern (The owner is a Lebanese immigrant) very well. Always a good date night choice for the gf and I.

13. alexspepa

alexspepa Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Charlotte - the Vietnam Grill on South Blvd is fantastic - it is BYOB so bring your drink of choice!

also if you see the Papi Quesa truck -- grab a great gourmet grilled cheese sandwich.
    [​IMG]

14. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Want to know where your favorite food truck in DC is --> http://foodtruckfiesta.com/

Pretty nice. Not going to schlep to go get crabcakes however.

15. gildarkevin

gildarkevin Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Oh yeah, i get their list Emailed to me every day at 11 am.

raza_rebel repped this.
  16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

Savory Maza in Scranton, PA. Outstanding Lebonese food, good enough to make it in big cities

Their Menu

17. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been to Lebon. It's in Africa?

And why don't they pimp this place on The Office?

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lebanon is in Asia. Amazing food there.

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have wandered into a conversation between me and the Doctor. my riposte was tweaking his nose at the spelling error, Lebonese for Lebanese. we do this to each other all the time. he's smarter than i am and i canna let him get away with nowt.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ipad + crap eyesight + new bifocals = typagrophical airs.

Good question on The Office. I think I know the answer: One of the places they've mentioned is a pretty solid seafood place. It's pretty obvious why this one gets on TV, and why Savory Maza won't

[​IMG]

Another place The Office has been closed down this year. And there was much rejoicing. My wife and I ate their once. The place was empty but for three people and they put us in the booth next to theirs, so we got a free floor show, at least, featuring a 20 something woman introducing her drug-dealing boyfriend to her one-time teenaged mother. As they left, after the boyfriend went to get the car, mom asked, "do I want to know where he gets his money." Daughter says, "you already do so quit pretending."

[​IMG]

I got a mild case of food poisoning, incidently. The waitress got a 0% tip because she would keep texting after we got her attention and tried to wave her over.

Of course, The Real restaurant for The Office:

[​IMG]

freekickwiz repped this.
  21. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ok.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I just saw this. I don't know about smarter, but I can tell you, when it comes to humility, I'll kick your ass every time.

Ismitje and Funkfoot repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'd tell you my favorite North Jersey place, but then I'd have to kill ya. (But you can send me a note & I'll tell you)

24. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're a reeking doctor, by gum. i'm smelly cheese. do i have to spell everything out for you?

i'm so used to getting my tail waxed, anything you might do would be like a massage.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile