How would you like to see the Relationship between DCU and the Loudoun Co. NASL franchise develop?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by 4mybroRRT, Oct 30, 2012.

1. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta share something here. I'm a Quaker and I attend Sandy Spring Friends Meeting. During the Civil War, a small detachment of Mosby's Raiders rode into Maryland and robbed - I say robbed - the podunk Sandy Spring General Store. There's a store there today on the site of the original store.

As a kid, I have to admit that as a kid growing up during the Civil War centennial - and in the innocent times of the early 60's our parents let us play with toy guns - I thought that Lee, Mosby and Stuart were dashing guys. As an adult, I am appalled. History is a bitch - but, with the benefit of hindsight, you simply cannot defend the Confederacy. Worse than the Nazis - eh, maybe not. Slavery, yes - but, they didn't go after the Jews. Even so, no matter how you cut it, racism is - and was - and always was sheer evil. That's why you really can't let Lee, Jackson and Stuart off the hook.

Vigrinia Cavalry FC - what were they thinking?

2. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    As a former Brazilian Cavalry Reserve Officer, I simply love the name.

If I am not wrong, American History is not my thing, Cavalry and Virginia have a strong relation. Since we are talking of military, examples of war crimes should not be hard to find, but the heroic ones aren't either.

3. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The problem is not the name, though. The whole One Loudoun project is not going forward, and the Hounds/Cavs were part of it.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Someone else's stadium problems are a nice distraction.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  5. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    So close to home is scary, though.

6. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing "Cavalry" was as close to "Cavaliers" as the management thought they could go without annoying UVA. Trouble is, the Cavaliers lost to Cromwell's Roundheads in the English Civil War, and "Loudoun County Roundheads" is a non-starter.

Winoman and msilverstein47 repped this.
  7. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    So I guess Loudoun County New Model Army is right out. :)

tallguy and Hedbal repped this.
  8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    They were thinking it was better than the other 2 names they let "fans" choose from.

I would be OK with Blockheads.

9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't roll off the tongue.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Now I could get behind that nickname -- just because it would cause most folks to scratch their heads. We could have half-time races with various members of the Stuart clan -- Charles I, Charles II and James II. The loser of the race gets beheaded -- would be a big crowd favorite.

Winoman and tallguy repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    and that was my first problem with the name.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something like this would have been a big attraction at the Roman Coliseum. But wouldn't it be hard to find guys willing to take a risk as a Stuart? It could be a short gig.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cavalry just says guys on horses with guns to me, I don't care - the annoying thing for me and why I'm tempted not to support them - is the god-damned stupid ********ing FC in their name. There is no valid excuse for that nonsense.

I am personally happy to hear there are problems delaying the Loudoun One project. I am not looking forward to the massive traffic problems on my way home. On the stadium front I was not looking forward to having to care about what nights the stupid baseball team was playing so I could avoid Route 7 and pay the toll instead.
    Also that exit is one of my few bail-out points to take a back way home (not a short-cut, it adds about 7 miles, for emergency traffic situations only) and that goes away as more things move into that space.

14. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    No, they would be like the Nat's Presidents with big fake heads that spurted "blood" when it was cut off. Could be a big attraction at family night.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could also have the fans who have taken advantage of the open carry policy to blaze away at halftime. The Stuart with the most bullet holes loses. (In this case, of course, the Stuarts would be mannequins. "No lives were lost in this halftime show.")

16. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BEHOLD THE HEAD OF A TRAITOR!

17. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    We should be proud, in just a few random jottings, we have come up with a killer name for the team and surefire halftime "entertainment." More than the guys on the payroll have done in over a year.

tallguy repped this.
  18. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As I wrote somewhere else, I don't expect VA Cavalry to be successful nor to last a long time; too much competion in the area from DC Utd. Even if DC Utd will keep sucking (hopefully not). If they were a USL or a PDL team it would be easier for them since expectations would be lower, as a NASL team I see them struggling to keep pace in an MLS market.

19. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a Loudoun, in East Aryshire, Scotland. They could always change the name to the "Loudoun hairy-chested, kilt wearing, caber tossing, claymore swinging, goat f------" . . . .

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I think there's another item that isn't given enough thought. Not only do they plan to play in a baseball stadium, they plan to play in Loudoun. Loudoun.

21. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't know about that. There is a huge pool of youth soccer families out in the burbs. If the team wants to go to a game, the parents would probably much prefer this over going to a DCU match, especially if DCU is still playing in RFK. Little kids won't know the difference and, sadly, neither will many of the parents. If they market it right, they should be able to sell a lot of tickets.

bigredfutbol, Winoman and gremio1903 repped this.
  22. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    5-6 yr olds wouldn't know the difference, but 13-14 yr olds certainly would - don't knock youth teams coming to games - these are still tickets sold and seats filled - AND they spend lots more money at concessions and merchandize stands than empty seats

sitruc repped this.
  23. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Incidentally - with regard to Virginia Cavaliers and conjuringan unsavory past - The Ku Klux Klan in Fairfax was known as the Virginia Cavaliers. Their meeting place is now the City of Fairfax museum.

24. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
  25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I say the Virginia Squires. You can do worse than to copy a team that once had Dr. J on it.
    [​IMG]

Winoman, tallguy and JRHokie repped this.