How will govt. (CFK) imposed restrictions hurt our futbol?

Discussion in 'Argentina: Clubs' started by RiverGaucho, May 26, 2012.

1. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So for those of you who don't live in Argentina, things are getting fairly bad here, with government restrictions getting completely out of hand.

Importing products is getting impossible. It is impossible to go to the store and find quality electronics at a reasonable price. I am not just talking about luxury goods, but essentials like coffee machines, microwaves,blenders. The ones made in Argentina are complete CRAP. Black and Decker and the like are gone. Off the market.

Then you start talking about luxury goods. If you are a futbol player, you are making a good living, but things start to add up. And lets be honest, footballers and their wives live extravegant lifestyles...want to buy you girl friend a pair of raybans? Try just under 2000 pesos... The same pair would cost about 120 USD. An Ipad? Nearly 4,000 Pesos, the same thing would cost about 500 USD.

My main point here is, a midlevel footballer may be even more inclined than before to leave argentina... and not just to go to europe. I predict we will see even more people leaving to go to places like brazil, chile or even colombia, where the people are free to buy and use foreign currency without making declarations and defending your need for dollars .Now to leave the country and be able to purchase dollars you must present you travel plans to the AFIP, tell them how long you will be gone for, where you are going, and they will tell YOU how much of said foreign currency (reales, dollars, lo que sea) you can buy.

This is not freedom.

Every week, hundreds make the treck across the rio de la plata to uruguayan pesos and then convert them to dollars over there in colonia or montevideo... the same thing i am sure happens with people in mendoza and san juan and chile.

The housing market here is done in DOLLARS. Yet you can't buy dollars... So what is the midlevel footballer at say... All Boys or San Martin de San Juan or Boca Unidos or Patronato supposed to do?

I am not talking about the players of Boca or River or the rich stars who return from Europe... But rather those who make a decent living, but with the state of the peso and lack of dollars in the country and the way the government is trying to hold the exchange to around 4.50 is eerily similar to the way they tried to hold the 1 to 1 ratio before 2001, things are not looking as bright in this country as they did even a year ago.

So what am I saying? If you leave Argentina, and go to play and chile or uruguay, you will be paid in dollars... I think we will see that football argentino still has much prestige, but we will see fewer foreigners coming to play here. Its a market where you need to dollars, to buy homes, to buy cars, yet there are no dollars to be found... As I said, I know the big clubs will find ways around this, but the smaller clubs will not. Olimpo de Bahia Blanca does not sell players for 10 million dollars to europe or brasil or mexico.

I have a bad feeling about this... I wasn't in Argentina in the time right before the crisis of 2001, but many agree that this feels fairly similar. People were just enjoying their lives, Argentina was on the rise, but now... Things are taking a strong downward turn and the dire financial situation of the clubs will only get worse.

Clubs will continue to raise ticket prices to balance having to pay players in pesos, but eventually the fans will say NO (they should have long ago). The government will continue to support them by paying the clubs by paying them TV money that could be used on more important things like better hospitals, better police, and say... safer TRAINS.

locoxriver repped this.
  2. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nestor vive, pero los 51 de once NO!!

BASTA DE LOS K! BASTA DE LA KORRUPCION!BASTA DE KRISTINA!!!!

VIVA ARGENTINA!!!!

3. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah this is something Ive been wondering about alot lately. Its nuts the lack of dollars currently, you can get over 600 pesos for 100 dollars by now. I dont quite know about it all as much as you seem to but its certainly something Ive been wondering/concerned about.

also I dont know if this has to do with importation but I can hardly find deodorant anymore, no Old Spice, no Rexona, nothing.

4. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol can't find deodorant?

Rexona is made in Argentina and Old Spice is made by Proctor Gamble who has a factory hear in argentina... i am not sure if they make old spice here or not, but gillete is made here and sometimes Moreno gives more leniency to companies that produce here... I just bought a stick of old spice today as a matter of fact, i just don't think you're looking in the right places TBH jaja (its very strange you can't find deodorant, where do you live?)

5. Steazy McCloud

Feb 13, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I live in la provincia. between Liniers and Mataderos. I go to my local Chinos, and Dia which is a chain and neither have it. Plus I go to Wal Mart down the road and bought their last Old Spice. Then I go to WalMart as San Justo Shopping and they dont have it either.

6. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Cristina is.fu....g.up lots of things but spare me the.hurting futbol bit.Facts are the government is.oaying triple what tyc sports were.And as for the dictatorship stuff?I havent seen one yet where the most of the media is anti government.The problem isnt Cristina its the inept pathetic opposition.Maybe you would prefer Moyano and Scioli?

LaFuriaNolan repped this.
  7. LaFuriaNolan

LaFuriaNolan Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Montréal
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree with this. The political situation is messed up but the problems with futbol are another issue.

8. smd9

smd9 Guest

la saeta rubia repped this.
  9. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I dont know if you guys were around before the Kirchners came to power but the last old spice in walmart wasnt peoples worry.Lets be honest under the 'K' Argentina has grown incredibly.Sure because of the models.hatred for the IMF we have no access to intl credit but

LaFuriaNolan repped this.
  10. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My point has nothing to do with old spice or Walmart la saeta rubia. I live in Argentina and all contracts are going to have to be restructured into dollars... This is a fact, and all clubs will now have to register contracts with the AFA in pesos, as reported on fox sports last night.

Right now the govt here rates the peso at 4.5 to the dollar... Even in Uruguay they view the argentine peso at 6 to 1 to the dollar. So this means if you are a foreigner hoping to play in Argentina, you know that the money you make here is worthless outside the country... You're going to take a massive hit if you are Uruguayan and you return to your country with hopes of depositing it in your bank account

If you go to Mexico or Brazil you will be paid in dollars...

So my point is, we will see fewer foreigners coming to play in Argentina for the simple reason that the peso is only going to continue to be devalued, no matter what the govt says. We will also see more Argentinos go to Mexico and Brasil than ever before, and even more other south Americans choosing those locations. Even after 2001, Argentina remained the best league for other south americans to go- Colombians, Uruguayans, Chileans, Paraguayos, etc....

Trust me, if your contract changes from dollars to pesos it is going to hurt you, I don't care if you're Riquelme, Giovanni Moreno or a some high ranking working at Visa, Starbucks, Samsung, etc- it will make a huge difference in your life... The "pesificacion" is not an over night process... The real estate market is still in dollars, so are cars, this will take time to change... And to futbol players, and their agents, this makes a difference

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If the barras continue stabbing fans and threatening players with guns, that's not going to help the league attract talent either. It's a shame.

12. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes the barras are more powerful than ever and the govt pays them... When river played central the central barra had a huge flag that said "Nestor vive" and Los borrachos del tablon had a flag that said Clarin Miente a few weeks ago... Thatd what makes the barra situation so absurd... The govt is complicit and involved in all of it

13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ironic how during the Futbol Para Todos television airings these animated figures appear on the corner of the screen saying "Hinchas SI, barra bravas NO. Menos para los violentos"

Umm.. can you remind who are the ones making agreements with them and giving them free trips and money in the first place? :rolleyes:

14. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yes yes everything you say is true as is the situation with the barras.However what is equally true is that the lives of ordinary Argentines is much much better under Cristina than before.Why did she win a landslide?The reality too is the clubs are in better shape than the.past. because of futbol para todos.
    This isnt a black and white issue which you love to portray

15. RiverGaucho

RiverGaucho Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mario Regueiro has stated he may have to leave Lanus because of the pesification process and as a Uruguayan, he needs to earn in dollars. I've stated before this would be an issue and its starting.

If he goes across the charco to his homeland, he will have to sell his pesos at 7 to 1 to the USD. Here in argentina in the parallel market, the rate is at 6 to 1, but of course this is illegal and risky

It is impossible to get dollars at the official rate (which is 4.54 to 1 if i'm not mistaken) unless you are traveling, in which case you can only get 100$ per day you will be out of the country. These restrictions are going to get more strict in the coming weeks and months

I work in an American company and all of the foreigners working with us (not long term ex-pats, but rather those working on 1 or 2 year contracts) are also getting very worried.

This situation is only going to get more complicated and we will not see many foreigners coming to play in argentina to earn in a soft currency

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Electronics were NEVER at a decent price to begin with not even with the 1-1, in fact in proportion it's probably you were paying a bigger difference back then.

Also clubes are not held to the same restrictions of individuals, if clubs talk about having to go to the parallel market it may mean one of two things, that somebody is doing something illegal by going to the parallel market, or that somebody is keeping the difference. And more importantly don't forget that clubs have some sources of revenues in dollars(like sponsors, some more than others).

What Boca began doing years ago now makes sense, the contract values are in dollars but they're paid the equivalent in pesos, that's the way to go.

You may question as a lack of freedom but in the other countries you mention there's no such a dangerous trend of accumulating dollars, even with currencies on the same level or even weaker, in Brazil such a thing doesn't happen because people doesn't do it.