How should NWSL handle the World Cup in 2015

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Blaze20, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    #1 Blaze20, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    https://soundcloud.com/gabby-rosas/frisco-bar-chat-1

So am listening to two fans discussing this topic in this audio clip and it got me thinking, how best should can NWSL handle 2015 when most players will be away and fan interest will rightly be focused on the world cup.

As we have seen in the past, the world cup year is the most critical and the two past leagues have not survived past it. Obviously the world cup is not the cause of those league failing but still, it would be amazing to see how NWSL can survive past it.

There is always the logical option of taking a break but for how long? I personally will like the NWSL to try something radical as we all know women soccer in this country have been trail blazers before (see the allstar draft approach).

My suggestion therefore would be throughout 2015 to hold mini-tournaments throughout the country, similar to what is done in tennis. Every month, pick a city and host X amount of games between the teams with each team accumulating points. At the end of the season the teams with the most points will advance to the championship.

There are several advantages:
    1. By moving the tournaments between cities, you can start as early in 2015 as possible and just pick a warmer location.
    2. There is an option to take a longer break during the world cup with out it extending the length of the season because it was started earlier.
    3. This will be a good publicity and exposure for the league because fans in cities that do not have a NWSL team will get to see their favorite players in action.
    4. By July when the national team players finally return you get to also capitalize on some of the interest they have generated.
    5. Cities that already have a NWSL team will obviously be part of the tournament rotation but east coast cities will have their games scheduled during the summer while west coast cities will be earlier during the year.
    6. Proceeds from each tournament will be split between the teams.

What are you suggestions on handling the schedule during 2015?

2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like the idea of starting the season earlier with a tournament format in warmer climates. There are also some smaller indoor venhether may not be so great. Like Tacoma dome where the sounders are already looking to place a USL Pro affiliate in Tacoma.
    I am not sure how you would count those games on the schedule but moving the main portion of the season to start in July and end in October. The attendance or interst may not be as high in seaptember and october but the league will continue on and it only happens once every 4 years

Also the Pan Am games follow up the Cup in canada in July. Now where the US women willlikley send a group not in the NWSL and allow those players to return to their club team
    But what will Canada do. Canada will do well in the World cup coming off Olypic bronze but not likley to win.
    The Pan AM games that they are hosting the fans may want to see thier best since it is in Canada and collect a Gold Medal. Or am I way of with how Canada will treat the Pan AM

3. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #3 holden, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    I would just schedule the season mostly as normal, except make a point to not schedule games on the days they play in the quarterfinals onwards. So no games 26-27 June, 30 June, 1 July, 4-5 July. And since we already know these dates more than 2 years in advance, there should be no problem scheduling around them. And only one of those days falls on a weekend, anyway. They could maybe give a by weekend for the Round of 16 20-23 June if they wanted. Or if they can wait, once we know what group the US is in, make sure to not schedule any games at the same time.

What could be cool to do, would be for teams to do a promotion where they play their game before the US game (so it ends before the US one starts) and then show the US game on the big screen (in the stadiums that have them) so there could be a big group viewing. Keep the beer and food flowing and make more money.

CoachJon repped this.
  4. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That would promotion idea

Still somehow play as least games as possible while the US and Canadian allocated players are away.
    Not sure if teams would have more bye weekss, not sure shutting down for a month would be the best idea..
    But a thiner schedule while the top players area away and extend the season into september to make it up

5. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Extending the season past mid-August creates a huge logistical problem for the Breakers once Harvard football starts up. So unless the Breakers have a viable alternative field option this wouldn't work. Unless the Breakers agree to play their last 8 games and playoff games on the road. Unlikely.

Starting the season 2 weeks earlier seems the best option with each team sacrificing one home game to play on a neutral field down south while waiting for their field to become available and the weather to warm up in the north. Also each team covers the expense of playing on the road. You play in or near Miami, Dallas, Cary, Phoenix, LA, San Diego, San Antonio, New Orleans and Atlanta. If LA does come into the league then play in Tampa and add in Nashville or Memphis. I definitely agree the league should take a break during the WC from the quarters to the final but still play during the prelims so the non-WC players don't get too rusty. I think this is most economical way to do this.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I like your idea which seems to he a hybrid of mine. They should definitely start early in a nuetral warmer location.

7. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Extending the season a bit might not be the answer but ths of a similar stualuatin is already been Dealt with in MLS houston sharing with NCAA DI football so it would be possible. Nothing about the 2015 season will be idealistic so they will have to pick the best way not to have the top allocating US players missing the least amount of time as possible.
    Coming into July if the US should win Gold that could reallybe a tremendous boost in attendance psot WC.

One thing for sure with USSF in charge of the league assisted greatly by Canadian allocated players the league could once be the better for it after the WC and not the worst and fold

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The 2015 WWC is from June 6 - July 5, which is a span of 30 individual days.

The 24 teams that will Qualify for the WWC will be:
    (Canada, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway, England, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, Nigeria, Ghana, S-Africa, Japan, Australia, S-Korea, China, Thailand, New Zealand)

NWSL should start the season earlier in 2015 (final weekend of March in 2015, which is March 28/29).
    That's two weeks earlier than usual.

Then, NWSL should take 5 weekends off in June through early July (with no midweek games in between).
    Therefore, the last weekend of games played before the extended break would be May 30/31.
    And then they would resume league play again on July 8, 2015 (which is the Wednesday after the WWC Final).
    The 5 weekends of the break would consume: June 6/7, June 13/14, June 20/21, June 27/28, July 4/5.
    Therefore, the extended break would see no action in NWSL from June 1, 2015 - July 7, 2015.
    This is a 37 day break, or 5+ weeks overall. The playoffs wouldn't start until late Aug, and run thru early-Sept.

If there are 12 teams (including expansion) in the 2015 season, then they should go back to a 22 game schedule.
    Each team would play the opposing 11 teams twice (11 * 2 = 22 games) in 2015. It's a shame we would only see Portland vs. Seattle twice in 2015, but those star players for both teams should focus more on the WWC that year.

A typical 22 game schedule, could look like this in 2015 (for the Portland Thorns as example):

Portland Thorns (2015 Schedule)
    3/28: L.A. BLUES (Saturday night match on National TV)
    4/5: at FC Kansas City
    4/11: CHICAGO RED STARS
    4/15: at Sky Blue FC (mid-week game)
    4/19: at Boston Breakers
    4/25: SEATTLE REIGN (National TV, 20,000 fans in attendance)
    5/3: at WNY Flash
    5/10: at Toronto (National TV)
    5/17: PHILADELPHIA (Regional TV)
    5/21: HOUSTON DASH (mid-week game, Morgan's last game before she heads off with USWNT to WWC)
    5/30: at Washington Spirit
    ------------------------------ (EXTENDED BREAK)
    7/8: WASHINGTON SPIRIT (mid-week game. first game after the break, Morgan doesn't play yet)
    7/12: WNY FLASH (Morgan and Wambach each play. They are both recognized for winning the 2015 WWC)
    7/18: at L.A Blues
    7/22: at Chicago Red Stars (mid-week game)
    7/25: at Philadelphia (National TV)
    7/30: FC KANSAS CITY (mid-week game, National TV)
    8/2: TORONTO (Regional TV)
    8/5: SKY BLUE FC (mid-week game)
    8/9: at Houston Dash (National TV)
    8/13: at Seattle Reign (mid-week game, Regional TV)
    8/16: BOSTON BREAKERS (Regional TV)
    -----------------------------
    8/22 - 9/5 (Playoffs) (Final is on Saturday night, Sept. 5, 2015)

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That looks like how it will prbably play out with a tweak here or there.
    The NHL will be taking a 17 day olympic break so the NWSL may take a shorter break but who knows. They will need to take some sort of break.

I found it interesting that someone suggested that the first couple of weeks be played at neutral warmer locations.
    I thought of the Disney complex could host the first two weekends of games.
    Orlando City has already adapted one of the pitches to provide extra seating and othe amenities.
    With Games going on throughout each weekend there may be some who will travel for such an event.
    It may also be something that ESPN may be interested in televising a game or two each weekend on ESPN2 and the rest on ESPN3.
    It could be something that could bring in a sponsor.
    Sharing revenue between all of the clubs evenly and still get a 10 game home schedule

10. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    That is a fantastic idea.

11. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I would have started by moving this season up to a mid March start, giving the league a free year to assess impact and spread out the games a little. From then on Id build a flexible summer gap into the schedule. In 2015 that gap would have the teams off for WC. and the season is Mar-Aug. In 2016 theyd play Mar- July ending the season early so they r off for August and the Olympics. Id use the gap in the two off years for friendlies. Another off year possibility is a friendly tournament in early June when the Euro leagues r just winding down hosted in different league cities. They could do home and home matches with other club teams from around the world, given them a chance for extra revenue. Scheduling with a March start every year might require early games being host by more weather friendly teams.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Just a quick note, the groundhog saw its shadow today, which means 6 more weeks of winter. The early preseason games for NWSL teams this year could be in winter like weather, instead of early spring weather. Therefore, hopefully in 2015 and in 2016, the groundhog won't see its shadow, and games in March will be a little warmer.

http://www.weather.com/news/groundh...hadow-signifying-6-more-weeks-winter-20140202

13. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I mean ESPN shows things like HS Cheerleading competitions From that comlex.
    Also mentioned the 2016 Olympics will be in August/Sept so for sure the NWSL will have to start earlier.
    Sometimes borrowing things from other sports and organizations can fit your yours.
    NCAA mens Basketball many teams start their seasons in one of the high profile tournaments.
    Why not the NWSL doing it as a league
    By going to those tournaments NCAA Basketball teams lose out on some home dates but the tournament brings plenty of attention and popular TV contenet

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm not sure when you are going to get the message that ESPN is not going to be showing NWSL matches any time soon. This has nothing to do with them not valuing women's soccer but rather the league for all intents and purposes have a contract with Fox Soccer. There's not much ESPN can do.

15. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    u

I really could care less in this special event being hosted on a ESPN grounds they may want to tv it.
    Also as far as I know Fox does not have exclusive rights to NWSL games. So for all intensive purposes any network has a right to have the right to make a deal with the league

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yeah the kinda do

17. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    And what are the non-NT players supposed to do during all that time off? They're gonna lose a lot of fitness if they don't play any games during that time.

Do you have some insider knowledge of the new TV contract? Or did I miss the announcement?

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Nope no insiders knowledge on my part but that's how these thinks work. IF a network is paying NWSL or vice versa, I doubt they will allow ESPN to show part of the season while they are broadcasting the other. And while it is not clear who the national broadcaster will be this year, does anyone doubt it will be FOX? Even if not them, the next logical option is NBC which has rights to MLS and the NTs

19. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Well I certainly hope that will be the case. ;)

If NWSL is paying Fox, I doubt that would be an exclusive contract. If another network comes in and offers to pay for some games, why would NWSL turn them down? Or at least, they could use it to renegotiate with Fox to get Fox to pay them.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mini-tournaments? In towns other then the team's home cities? Absolutely not!!

I as a season ticket holder want to see my team play in my home town and I'm not flying to all these cities for a whole month to see my hometown team play. I don't mind a game being played away for a promotion but a whole month? No Way!
    For those of you without an NWSL team in your city it may seem like a swell idea, but to a season ticket holder in an NWSL city who pays hundreds, it is NOT a good idea. Ask the 8,000 season ticket holders in Portland if that is a good idea. Season tickets are a team's bread and butter.

I say you keep playing. Maybe with a thinned out schedule for a month, but to stop playing is like telling the rest of the players who are not on a National Team they are not good enough or not interesting enough to draw crowds. last season I went to the Red Stars vs. Portland game the weekend US played Canada and Portland still drew 13,000 with just the "regular" players. Maybe those of us here will but not everyone will be glued to the WWC watching every game.

Thin out the schedule for the month, but play the games.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  21. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    So you're saying all games during the WWC should be held in Portland... ;) (I kid, I kid. If you see my first post in this thread, you see we agree on what to do)

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    It is not about slighting the non NT players. The fact is soccer in the US is cursed that way such that it coincide with the world cup in the summer. Given that this is the biggest competition in the sport and if NWSL wants to be seen as a top league, I don't see how they continuing playing during that time. Also, most teams will be rather thin when players are away. I remember a horrible scene in 2011 when I attended a Philly vs magicJack game when the NT players were away. MJ literally had 1 person on the bench and I wasn't even sure if it was a player.

P.S About the season ticket stuff, we are talking about 2015. Unless Chicago have started selling tickets that I don't know about, you should not be losing any money. If it is the game you are worry about, how is thining out the schedule solve this problem. Either way you will be missing out games but at least if they were playing in a nuetral location you still have the option of watching it on TV.

23. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    MLS is only taking a 2 week break for the 2014 MWC. Much different than WPS_M's proposed 5+ week break. 2 weeks seems reasonable. I don't see why they can't continue playing. It's not like the Mexican, Canadian and US players will all be out during the entire world cup (at most, 2 of them can make it to the final), so you can get your players back when they are out of the competition. And with proper roster management, they should still be able to have a full bench (they may have to call up a couple of amateur players, but they did last year too when NTers were called away) for every game. MJ was just a joke.

24. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Sounds reasonable. I really don't think they should take a whole month off either because either way you look at it, players will be coming in and out throughout 2015.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First of all, MJ wasn't even run as a professional team in some people's opinions. It was one person's expensive play-toy. MJ was loaded with USWNT players, and from everything we read written back then, it was all about the National Team players, the others were pretty much fluff. That's not a good example.

Whether it's the Red Stars or not, you have to sell the season to the team's season ticket holders.

Look, I am an not against scheduling some games in non-NWSL cities to grow the game. Kind of like the NFL does in London. In fact, IMO it would not be a bad idea for the Red Stars to schedule a game in Milwaukee, St. Louis or Indianapolis. Both cities within 3 hour drives of Chicago. They should be scheduled with teams that have players from those towns. Lauren Holiday is from Indianapolis, so a FCKC vs. CRS game in Indy may be a good idea. Or a FCKC game vs. CRS in St. Louis where Chalupny is from. Milwaukee is close enough to Chicago that a game in Milwaukee would maybe draw in some fans from Wisconsin to the Red Stars.

As Portland season ticket holders, I'd like to know how cpthomas and Cliveworshipper feel about the Thorns playing a month worth of their "home" games outside of Portland.