How much money do college coaches make?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by UNCGSOCCER, Oct 22, 2009.

1. soccermoms2

soccermoms2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Do private D1 coaches tend to make more than state D1 coaches?

Example: Santa Clara v. San Diego State, USF v. UC Irvine

2. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    California coaches, private or public, tend to make more than the vast majority of coaches around the country.

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And the state is now virtually bankrupt as a result.

4. oldguyfc

oldguyfc New Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Yea, it's all those damn college coach's fault.

5. Mr_HoseHead

Mr_HoseHead Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Nope - as pointed out, those numbers are specifically (and carefully) just for men's soccer coaches and assistants (shockingly, women's soccer coaches are usually paid less...).

UNCGSOCCER - you probably should look into the numbers carefully, as the "real world" average is quite a bit less than $80K. The simple weighted average for all reported men's soccer coaches is under $43K. The numbers are relatively skewed by the small number of D1 coaches that make ~$100K+ in the FBS category. If you remove just the D1-FBS figures from the picture, the average for men's college soccer coaches is ~$37.5K. D2 & D3 are where the positions are - just not the same money. And I'd be willing to wager at least one chilled naturally-carbonated adult beverage that there are a whole lot more soccer coaches around than total positions available...

6. socfan60

socfan60 Member

May 6, 2001
    UNCG- As you say you are considering college coaching as a career- a few things to think about besides $

On the negative side-success in the hands of 16-24 year old men and women
    On the positive side- have a real impact on those same kids lives
    On the negative side- salaries relatively low
    On the positive- can be a great lifestyle-working in a fun environment, usually your "own boss" earlier than in other fields (AD doesn't care if you are in the office at 9:00am as long as you get the job done),getting paid to be involved in the game you presumably love
    neg- might need to move around to work your way up the ladder
    pos- live in great locations

etc, etc

I know you probably know all of this but just one old guys thoughts beyond $$$

7. UNCGSOCCER

UNCGSOCCER New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    All those are valid points, i appreciate your imput. As I look into coaching further I will take those into consideration.

8. flatback4

flatback4 New Member

Nov 5, 2006
    St Louis
    I read several years ago that the average Texas HS football coach makes about $110,000.00/yr and some of the top guys were knocking down $140,000.00 plus. I scratched my head and then realized Yup it's Texas football