How I met your mother

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Clipse, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to think that something major is going to happen for Ted toward the end of this season. Does this show have a set number of seasons it is going to run?

2. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Ted is so inter-twined in all the others lives that he can't move on til they do. He's got Marshall and Lilly back in town, they are happy now, Robin off to a first good career step, she's on the move, Barney apparently over his committment issues and hinting at marriage.

Ted will move forward, he was stuck in "college mode" living with some combination of Marshall, Lilly and Robin, heck he was even back in college dorms! He now has his own place, an established career and a house to rebuild. He supposedly meets his wife at Barney's wedding which I think comes at the season finale when they wrap back to the season premier.

3. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of their contracts end at the end of the next season and Segel has said he is done after that so they better get on wrapping this up.

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    And I remember Josh Radnor saying something to the extent of finishing after 8 or 9 years.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really? never saw that. do you have a link?

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Segal has quoted it in a bunch of interviews... just Google it.

Thomas & Bays said during the first couple of seasons that they were ideally hoping for a six year arc to tell the story. You can see that once it got really popular, they stretched it out... everything since the beginning of season 4 has been like pulling teeth as far as plot development goes.

By any qualitative standard the show has now been terrible for longer than it was good. I have stuck with it because I have an attachment to the characters and the story, but I know that in 10 years we will all be sitting around wondering how we ever watched this rubbish.

Very similar to Friends - both shows were decent in their first 3 seasons or so, but their real success was not the comedy but building a group of characters that people really invested in. In both cases it let the shows run far longer than they deserve on comedic merits.

Also, I want to stab Lily. Seriously. Ever since she ran off on Marshall at the end of season 1 she's got progressively bitchier and self-centred and childlike and all-round annoying.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When in doubt, check Alan Speinwall's archives. :D

January 2012 panel at TCA

Some tidbits

Lots of other good stuff in that story, but not a ton of definitive ending info since now a ninth season may be in play.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave up on this show a couple seasons back. But here's the thing...in Ted's voiceovers to the kids he's always calling her "Aunt Robin." So I don't see how she can be the Mother.

10. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it's been pretty definitively established that she isn't.

11. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Encouraging, in the sense that they're going to shake things up for Ted.

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and since a major story arc was Robin not being able to have kids which Ted told to ..... his kids.

13. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She isnt. That was established back in like the first season and then confirmed when he tries to date the mother's roommate.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    OMG! Ted + RObIn = <3

The kids are adopted. Ten more seasons of serial drama to find their real mother.

15. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah in episode one season one....

16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I remember when I got the screener for the pilot and was so pissed by the end. The only character I liked was Barney but for some reason I kept up with the show and it turned pretty decent. Now I'm just along for the ride until the end.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. I have weeks I enjoy it and weeks I want to find Bays and Thomas and nutpunch them. But I will put the first few seasons on for background noise via Netflix Streaming - it was some good stuff.

18. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually find Barney to be annoying. He is just too over-the-top at times.

I find Robin, Ted, and Marshall to be most likable although Ted can be boring at times. Robin is probably my favorite character with Marshall coming in second.

19. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same with Barney, although he isn't as bad when he is in a relationship.....

I am glad they got rid of Kevin, he was the Poochie of How I Met Your Mother :D

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Kevin was just a character for the sake of diversity. We all knew that wouldn't last.

[​IMG]

21. General Disarray

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, he was on the show longer than I thought he would be.

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Kal Penn was really a fall back when Michael Trucco got another show which scuttled their plans to have his character become more involved with Robin.

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    See, I think he was useful in wiping that Ted-Robin-Barney triangle clean, and being the voice of the audience so they could work a lot of the weirdness out.

And I think his race was a non-issue - it was more that a B-lister was never going to be a long-term cast member.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're probably right.

On the other hand...
    [​IMG]

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it that Bosom Buddies rip off? Didn't it get cancelled after, like, 2 episodes?