How I met your mother

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Clipse, Mar 16, 2009.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    So glad they tore the Arcadian down. That storyline was a total drag.

Also, about the mother Ted hasn't met, I've read people guessing that it's [result]Barney's half sister who's at school in the city[/result]. I still think Robin and Barney end up together.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That CGI they used when they blew it up really pissed me off. I don't know why it touched a nerve and caused a reaction like it did, but it was so bad it actually made me angry and took away from the show for me. The commercial for Hawaii Five-0 or whatever that immediately followed it had some bad CGI as well.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm glad they finally tore it down too. Now we can move on to building his hideous building.

//I had other stuff I wanted to comment on, but thinking about that damn CGI made me forget it all.

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I felt the same way.

It seemed unnecessary. Sitcoms don't need action. They could have just held the shot looking at the cast and showered them with dust and pebbles, and I would have been happy.

The CGI jarred with the tone of the show and took me away from the realism of the situation. Suddenly you're being asked to substitute sitcom-suspension-of-disbelief for action-movie-suspension-of-disbelief and the two are so different that you get shaken out of the moment.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know. I thought it looked sitcomy, which was fine because, you know, it was on a sitcom. I wasn't excepting anything cutting edge.

6. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think Caesar's point was that they didn't have to show it. The GNB brass' reaction would've sufficed, and there was no point in showing the collapse if it wasn't going to be legen-wait for it-dary.

I think the writers try hard to keep up the show's New York-ness but then get undermined by the set (NYC's a hard city to fake). Really, the fewer exterior shots they show, the better.

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I continued to think about it since it bothered me a lot more than it should and I think you're right, Caesar. It was just out of place for the show and themes of the show. I think that's why the design of the new headquarters bothers me as much as it does too.

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pretty pissed with the fake out on the mother. Mainly because it just confirmed that the mother is a gag and not really the point of the show. Be honest. Don't be dicks about it.

I'll still watch. I still like the show, but it just seems to me that they realize Radnor is only a fraction of the actor that Segal, Hannigan and NPH are so they treat the alleged premise of the show as a joke so they can showcase the real talents in the cast.

9. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Have we ever actually seen her? Remember Ted meets the mother at Barney's wedding and I have to wonder how Ted wouldn't meet the woman you believe prior to the wedding.

10. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    We haven't seen her, but she was specifically mentioned, and I believe in the gun-in-the-first-act rule of storytelling.

[result]She's away at college, possibly where Ted teaches, and it's already established that Ted's future wife was in the classroom that he went in by mistake. I guess it would've been more natural for the best man to meet members of the groom's family at the rehearsal dinner, but that's probably overthinking it.[/result]

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, since most NYC movies these days seem to be filmed in Toronto or Vancouver for tax reasons, it would appear that it's a very easy city to fake.

12. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Not sure which movies you're referring to, but most of the movies set in New York that I've seen are filmed on location (and if you live and work in certain parts of the city, it's impossible not to run into a film production every couple of weeks). When films are shot elsewhere, it's noticeable ('Rumble in the Bronx' is probably the most egregious).

NYC's had a tax credit program for film productions for several years, which have kept shoots in the city.

I do notice though, that a subway scenes are often shot in Toronto.

13. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eg Parts of Spiderman III which were meant to be New York will filmed in Cleveland.

14. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Any city is "a hard city to fake" if you're one of that city's residents/natives.

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    five seconds of google found me this:
    http://www.toronto.ca/tfto/newy.htm

lots of productions were fleeing to canada for better tax breaks, etc. NY has stepped up lately, but lots of movies are shot in Toronto and Vancouver.

16. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    True, except that New York has appear in films and television so much (well, mostly Law & Order), and there are directors, and not just Woody Allen, who use
    the city as another character, they've set an expectation, conscious or otherwise, for how the city is supposed to look on screen.
    I saw that too. It's a little disingenuous, because it includes films that were mostly shot in New York except for some interior shots (I know above ground scenes of '16 Blocks' was shot in New York, for one). I've seen a similar list for Vancouver and it's more of the same - non-blockbuster films or films that use Vancouver locations a handful of scenes. But those are hardly representative of all the films set in NYC, and I'm not sure how you can conclude "most" New York films are shot elsewhere.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    To be honest I didn't realise this show was shot in LA until this discussion started, and I'm someone who loves Woody Allen, L&O, and have been to NYC several times.

Granted it may seem dodgy to people who are actually from the city, but I think it does a pretty good job of faking it.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're right, I should not have said 'most' ... many would've been a better word choice. :)

19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good point, and I get that you're NEVER going to get anything really authentic from a multi-camera sitcom like HIMYM.

20. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Every "outdoor" shot looks nothing like NYC.

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that pub that McClaren's is modeled after doesn't look a think like what's on the show.

23. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Anyone still watching this show?

I thought this season was interesting (still going), the wedding at the season opener teased questions, then the show seemed to stall, lately though it's been better!

Last night was a good one, we now know (well maybe) who Barney marries, don't know what's up with Ted not seeing Robin for a long time etc.

People are drifting towards long term stable lives. Now to meet the mother!

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I appreciate that everyone is finally beginning to have a real life, but I still wish we could be making some progress with Ted.

25. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm assuming that'll come in the episodes leading up to the season finale. The voiceover says Ted doesn't see Robin for months, which I find encouraging.