How I met your mother

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Clipse, Mar 16, 2009.

1. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Both girls are/were pregnant, I think Allyson Hannigan actually had her baby, that's why she's been "missing".

Robin is also preggers, so you won't see much of her with an unhidden body.

Guess the wife isn't stella!

2. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Entertainment Weekly had a funny feature with the different ways they were hiding the pregnancies. My wife and I crack up at the huge purses and how Robin just happens to be standing behind lamps a lot.

From what I read, they jiggered the filming schedule so Allyson Hannigan would be available for the season finale. That's why they manufactured the joke to have her get time off to deliver.

3. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For the past 4 episodes Cobie Smulders has looked more and more pregnant in every scene.

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Right. I wasn't really arguing with you on that, at least as far as this season was concerned (my point was that *Jim* was the one with the umbrella, so Stella can't be the one for that, and a myriad of other reasons).

The umbrella will play a role when he does actually meet the mother, though.

5. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah, I was thinking the ginormous purse had the opposite effect of emphasizing the baby bump.

6. Clipse

Clipse New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    Toronto
    I told that peanut butter joke to about 5 of my friends when we were in a group, 3 girls 2 guys. 2/3 of the girls cracked up, and the rest didn't understand it, and when they did they didn't laugh. Guess guy jokes don't work with my friends.

7. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Decent season finale and I have to say I was surprised with Ted taking the professorship. That will definitely open up plenty of storylines next season.

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Hopefully it doesn't go all Friendsy.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBH, I get a little annoyed with how often the show does the "this is a hugely important moment" misdirection stuff. It was a critical moment in Ted's path to meeting the mother of his children to bump into his ex and remember that, yeah, he really was over the girl that dumped him at the altar? C'mon.

Don't get me wrong - I love the show. It's very funny, NPH is legendary, and I've got a huge crush on ex-Canadian-pop-star Robin Sparkles. But the constant misdirection is a little annoying.

11. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Foos, you misinterpreted the moment. The moment wasn't significant because Ted realized that he was over Stella, but because of the encounter, Stella's husband got him the job at the university because the husband felt guilty stealing Stella back from Ted. And that is relevant to how he met his wife apparently because his wife is in the class.

And is it wrong that I too like my laundry room to have ceramic tile, hooks, and to be soundproof?

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember Ted implying that the significance was what I said it was, but since I haven't yet watched this week's episode, I'll shut my pie hole. For now. :)

While I have noticed an attention to detail (the slap countdown clock), I haven't paid close enough attention to notice the Lost-esque writing you guys are supposedly seeing. For me, it's just an enjoyable sitcom. I'd probably buy into the show's premise as being more important (rather than just an excuse) if they had already announced a show end date (indicating that the writers had a set time period to tell the overarching story, instead of just presumably winging it). Which, to be honest, is something I'd love to see networks start doing; defining a hard lifetime for a show, and then giving them a little rope to work with before bailing. And then cutting the show at that deadline, regardless. It'll allow for better writing and better storytelling. If the show was popular, tell a different long-arc story in the same universe, or spinning off of a few characters, or whatever. Long-term story arcs with end points defined well in advance tend to be very good for the health of a show (see: Lost, BSG).

13. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Climb aboard the murder train.

I just blitzed 4 seasons in something like 3 weeks.

14. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  16. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other montages don't seem to be available. But you're right, they were excellent.

17. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The Sexless Innkeeper was hilarious.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Quite enjoying this season now that they've broken up Barney and Robin.

19. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually got to party with the creator's sister the other day, if I may name drop :)

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Looks like [result]Ted meets the mother at Barney and Robin's wedding.[/result]

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Damn umbrella again?

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    [result]They showed a flash forward to a wedding where Ted was the best man and mentioned that's where he meets the mother. I can't imagine it being anyone except Barney's, and who would Barney marry besides Robin?

Reinforced by the fact that Barney showed revived interest in Robin during the episode now she's broken up with Don.[/result]

23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oh, I got that. I was just commenting about how there's always an umbrella reference when there's some pivotal event leading to Ted meeting his wife, which was starting to feel a little forced and transparently misdirectional. Though they didn't actually show a yellow umbrella this time.

[result]Also, yeah, it makes sense that it would be Barney and Robin's wedding. Narrative-wise, Barney would get married before Ted, and his reaction to Robin's dress (white, no less) signals it.[/result]

24. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    So, it is Barney's wedding, though doubt its Robin.

Still no sign of Ted's future wife though.

25. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just started watching this show this year and thanks to the magic of syndication, I think i've pretty much seen them all at this point. Season-finale was kind of a letdown.
    I was bummed that Barney was getting married .... his character is great because he's unredeemable.