How Fast Have You Gone?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah in my 98 Chevy pickup I feel like something is going to fall off if I go over 75.

2. Diablo10

Diablo10 New Member

175 mph at Daytona!!!! Then again, it was the Richard Petty Experience. It was pretty cool being able to drive a stock car that fast! No ride a long, it was all me behind the wheel! :)

3. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fastest I've gone is as a driver at 137 mph in my 2000 Volkswagen Jetta on a freeway in California. (Car is speed limited at 135 but I was slightly downhill). Going fast is scary I've done so many times with my old man in his Porcshe, but never that fast and going fast in a car like a Jetta is insane.

4. frankwhite

frankwhite New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Germany
    I drove around 300kmh at the passenger seat of the porsche turbo of a friend of my uncle, i made 250 (according to the speedo) with my old 7 series BMW

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    in the 70's i went to a college with a few really rich persian gulf kids; one drove me to a party in hillsborough his countach and in a mildly downhill stretch of I-280 the speedo was over 200mph. it was about 3am so he was using all 3 or 4 lanes and at that speed bots dots make no noise.

6. SkyWalker4

SkyWalker4 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    NOVA
    LOL... well thank you for obeying the speed limit!

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus, at that speed a bots dot could flip a car if it hits it wrong.

8. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    about 120mph as a passenger in a ford something or other on the german autobahn about 15 years ago. As a driver i doubt ive ever broken 100, partly as I never buy cars for that purpose. I did get an old beetle I had in HS up to 92 once down a very long hill, no one believes me but it's true.

9. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe it,

;) :D

10. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    140+ again on I-80 going to/coming back from nebraska.

i say 140+ because my speedo only goes to 140, and i had the needle past that. judging from the RPMs i had left, id say my car could maybe reach 160 to 170. not sure when the aerodynamics would start to really sabotage that, though.

11. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    in fact you can never get those revs... acc to the coefficient, air resistance increases logarithmically with velocity and after a certain speed not even hundreds of horsepower more can keep you keep accelerating...

in any case, I-80 itself would probably keep you from going any faster... and it's not bots dots or even potholes that are the danger, it's irregularities in the road surfaces that are imperceptible in normal driving but at high speed set up waves in the car (like soldiers walking in step over a bridge)... if anyone remembers the sauber that did a saturn V at le mans, that's exactly what happened there.

12. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's just quadratic regarding velocity : Rx = 1/2*ρ*S*Cx*

ρ : mass/volume of air
    S : projected surface of the running object

The Cx is usually an experimental graph which varies with speed for a given shape and a given air condition. The Cx given in commercials is the lowest value of the coefficient...And yes, it means that the car with the lowest value is not necessarily the best at all speeds and conditions but you should have the whole graph to be able to judge...

And now, someone else can spank me cos my knowledge on the matter does not go way further. :p

Sure, but you can always improve the aero efficiency of the vehicle. You can also play with the gear box setting - when possible - if it's too short.

13. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now here's a piece of 'I'm one lucky mofo'

This happened in England on FA Cup final day so those of you that don't know the roads just look them up.

I got picked up and went to the pub to watch Man U v Chelsea, sunk a few pints, not overboard but a few, went home, had a snooze, made some food and got my shit together to go for a night out in Liverpool, by the time I was ready I was at least an hour late so I jumped in my car and gunned it.... got up to 150+mph on the M61 but at the junction with the M60 there were lots of people going elsewhere so I just laid off the gas and trundled along with everyone else, got to the M62 sliproad and proper floored it....vooosh, I'm off straight into the fast lane making time up but only doing the same speed as the others in there (90+mph), next thing I see in my rear mirror is a brand new Audi S3 gun right up my arse so I wait for the cars in front to clear, hit the sport button and thought 'come on then son, you reckon?' and floored it................................140mph for about 3 miles, left them for dead anyway,...... I see dibble ahead......100mph.......80mph.... middle lane normality is going on....... blue lights shine behind me, "Bollocks!" I think...... Get pulled, for doing 140mph, cos the S3 was a friggin unmarked car, get breathalysed, fail cos of the afternoon beers, car gets impounded and I get stuffed into cuffs and marched off to the nearest police station, fail the breathalyser test in the station but only just so....they say "you can take a urine or blood test but it's our choice so we choose urine" "Cool" I say, I'm chucked into a cell to take a piss....do it....they pour that one away, time ticks by, I do another piss....sample and job done. Cut a long story short finally got myself to Liverpool and had a good night out, picked my car up from the pound on Sunday afternoon at a cost of £100 and got my arse back home.

Now, all I got to wait for is the result of the urine test... about 4 weeks. I just get on with life, sometimes thinking I'm okay other times thinking I'm fecked and then the day of the result comes.....drive to the station for it absolutely cacking myself cos my life would be up shit creek without my car..... BINGO.... I'm clean....only just, 2mg under the legal limit... I thank my lucky stars....

The moral of the story is: -

Don't drive at 140mph with an unmarked car behind you cos you'll get pulled

But, if you are gonna drive at 140mph with an unmarked car behind you, make sure you're ever so slightly pissed cos by the time they take you to the station and give you the tests, you're fine and you'll walk away from the incident clean as a friggin whistle and if you weren't pissed they'd feck you over for doing 140....

I still don't get why I'm driving but this brothers happy.

Slow down :D

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does it not maybe occur to you that they will notice and clobber you at some point?

15. Juan Carlos II

Jan 14, 2004
    Lytham St Annes
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nope. I was arrested on suspicion of drink driving the speeding was dismissed at the roadside. But it's a lesson learned. Main reason being is that I thought about the consequences of being banned for 12months and I didn't relish it.