How far will England go at Euro 2012?

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 16, 2012.

?

How far will England go at Euro 2012?

Poll closed May 30, 2012.
  1. Out in the group stage

46.3%
  2. Quarter-final

41.5%
  3. Semi-final

7.3%
  4. Losing finalist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Winners

4.9%
  1. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    You've gone wrong because you have not expressed any views except bashing England players and complaining about your club players not being picked. Leave club rivalries at the door and support England. Or leave.

2. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Stop with the hostility.

Do you see ANYTHING REGARDING CLUB RIVALRIES IN THIS PARTICULAR THREAD?

No.

A poster didn't like that I considered France to have a more technical squad than England. That was the issue at hand. (Although I saw nothing wrong with that, and another poster even agreed).

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    No, but I have seen them in another thread in the England Forum. You asked a question about where you went wrong. I let you know. Just trying to give you pointers. If you don't understand then you will keep making the same mistakes.

If you prove other than a troll, I will apologise.

4. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ukraine is one of the top 10 leagues in the world(according to the UEFA coefficient). I've watched them play and I strongly believe that they will go through at home so, the England France match will decide the other team that goes through.

Sweden will be the "easy" match but, they have good players and can beat both France and England.

5. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, this is the sticky one for me. Ukraine worries me because I think they will put up a serious fight as this tournament is in their backyard.

When City played Dynamo Kiev last year (which has many players from the Ukraine NT), they really were resolute defensively. Maybe not individually, but as a unit, and that compensates.

Shevchenko was absolutely lively in that match as well and I think he could be a threat.

I think England's class will prevail, but you never know because we can be certain that the Ukraine will be an inspired side.

Ukraine drew 3-3 with Germany in November but, they've been well beaten by other teams like France (1-4), Italy (0-2).

Watching them a couple times, Ukraine have shown they can play football, however.

This group will be absolutely exciting and I can't wait.

6. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    England play Belgium on June 2nd, and I think this will be a good gauge of where the team is before the tournament.

I hope Hodgson doesn't play Rooney in that match so we can see how the squad operates without him against solid opposition, as we will miss him for the first few matches.

7. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    If France play to the full capabilities they could go all the way! But then again their old wounds could open up and poor characters like Evra , Malouda ,Benzema ,etc could wreck their camp like in 2010.

Sweden have done us a favour by not picking Guidetti ,who banged in 20+ goals in Holland. Instead they have gone with players with no form at all like Rosenberg.

The Ukraine are at home and will likely get afew decisions go their way ,as hosts always do. With their attack they might struggle for goals though .

8. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Guidetti has a nerve injury. That's why he wasn't picked.

9. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Very true. France are as dangerous to their opponents as they are to themselves. No questioning their talent though.

10. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The team also had problems in Euro 2008 when Gallas and Makelele accused Benzema of being a troublemaker in the camp along with nasri. In that camp there is a load of talent on paper ,but the camp could explode again.

11. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wasn't it they that they claimed the younger players didn't give the older players due respect....rather than them being trouble makers?

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One might consider a bunch of older players who go around demanding "ressspek" from younger members of the squad people who are making trouble.

13. madrid alty

madrid alty New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    I am 100% sure that a rested team like russia will go further

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is the group they are in formidable, or would you consider it a easier task than ours? Just curious, I already know the answer..

15. madrid alty

madrid alty New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Im afraid we cannot move the ball around as fast as four maybe five teams due to the age and pace of our centre midfield in particular, france will have us covered in this department i fear, and yes russia have an easy group they can be prominent in

16. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From an outside point of view, isn't this the perfect tournament for England to have a deep run? It doesn't seem like very many people are expecting too much from them which might lower the pressure that's being put on the players and allow them to play to the level that they display weekly in the Premier League. Even if this isn't your best team player for player compared to past tournaments, there's still a lot of talent in the roster. I also think not having Rooney in for the first couple matches might be better for England. I've noticed at times he tends to roam around a lot and leave his area of the field whenever he doesn't have possession. He replacement probably will stay more disciplined which will make it easier for the rest of the boys. It'll also force others to really work and give more knowing their best player isn't on the field with them like they did against Spain. Anyway just my thoughts. If I had to pout money on the tourney I'd put it on Germany but I have a feeling that England will surprise a bunch of people and make a really deep run as well.

17. madrid alty

madrid alty New Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    If england beat france in the first game the pressure will be straight back on, we can produce great performances but never consistantly

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hate to say it but I can see a quater-final loss on Penalties happening! :D

Unless for some reason going into the a tournament less prepared and organised than we have been in the recent past will lead to a better outcome for some reason. Who knows!

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) No it won't as he's easily Englands best player.

2) This is what many great players do....

3) No....it will however make "his replacement" easier to mark.

20. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rooney roams around because he's not a true striker like people believe.

He's a quintessential number 10.

21. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right great players do roam around looking to get into dangerous spots but that's not always what a team needs especially playing in a conservative system. His movement also might make certain players uncomfortable as they're not used to playing with a player who can/does move all over the field creating. It takes time together to understand a players movements, something that isn't available to the players at the moment. Fielding you're most talented 11 isn't the same as fielding your best team.

Anyway I wont butt in anymore, it's not my national team but I hope you guys do well.

22. rubinkazan

rubinkazan Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    That is what we want Rooney to do, in fact that is what I want to see more England players doing; regularly changing their positions, swapping flanks, moving around the pitch freely. You are not going to break anyone down by having players staying ‘disciplined’ to their positions, this is what England was too guilty of in the last world cup. Roy will probably play an unambitiuos system against France, but the likes of Sweden and Ukraine will hapily sit and soak up pressure, so it will be up to England to break them down. In the last world cup Capello played three group games which he should have won comfortably, but instead England played three torrid, spluttering performances, because Capello stuck to an unambitious rigid system which left little room for players to roam about the pitch from their markers and exploit spaces, this meant England struggled to break down well organised opponents. It will be the same again if Roy does not have a fluid system in the last two games.

23. Sothis

Sothis Member

Liverpool
    England
    Mar 18, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't England's record better without Rooney than it is with him? There's a tendancy to punt the ball to Rooney and hope for the best a lot of the time, as we tend to rely on him as our outlet for everything. Without Rooney, we actually tend to function better as a unit. It'll be interesting to see if this happens in our upcoming friendlies.

24. rubinkazan

rubinkazan Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    No

No there isn't. There is a tendancy to punt balls whenever we are playing any other striker than Rooney. Have you actually watched an England game before?

England has a much better record with Rooney in the side and plays much bettter football with Rooney in the side.

25. tolevau

tolevau New Member

May 24, 2012
    As a french, I think it will be interesting for you to hear what is being thought from our side of the channel.

Here, nobody can even imagine a loss against England.
    While we have been maturing and learning from our mistakes after a return from scratch since the end of the Domenech era (our worst coach ever) and our awful performances in 2008 and 2010, it appears that you are doing quite the contrary : you had to face scandal after scandal.
    As a result, you will be forced to face us without your main striker, with a former captain and under the command of a man who will discover his own team during this euro.

Furthermore, your team seams either too old (Gerrard, Lampard, Terry) or too inexperienced (Carroll, Welbeck).
    Of course, we know that England is always a though opponent and we won't underestimate you.

But I think Laurent Blanc built a good team with some of the best players in the world (Benzema, Ribéry, Nasri), and some others who are becoming very good (Cabaye, Menez, Giroud, Debuchy), while maintening an experienced frame (Evra, Malouda, Diarra).
    Moreover, we are in a 19-unbeaten-game-string in which we defeated Germany, Brazil and England.

So, in my view, we'll finish on top of this group, with England second.
    Actually, according to our recent past, the simple fact of going through will be an achievement.

With regard to other nations, I won't be surprised if Spain didn't go far, with Villa and Puyol out.
    They even may do the "special France 2002" (we had already won the tournament before the beginning and everyone remember the rest) .
    They lost EVERY SINGLE tough game lately (England, Argentina, Portugal, Italy) and are at the end of a cycle.

If I had to bet on one team, it woulf be Germany, they seam the more powerful squad and the more likely to win the euro.

Sorry for my poor english, and good luck to both teams.

lost, trublu82 and Matt Clark repped this.