How far will England go at Euro 2012?

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, May 16, 2012.

?

How far will England go at Euro 2012?

Poll closed May 30, 2012.
  1. Out in the group stage

46.3%
  2. Quarter-final

41.5%
  3. Semi-final

7.3%
  4. Losing finalist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Winners

4.9%
  1. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think you are wrong....

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Huh, this forum seems to be getting more and more parochial.

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We don't like trolls round 'ere.

three lions repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Scrape through the group and lose the quarter or semi depending who we play

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So a good tournament then?

6. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well it depends how we play.....

7. Sothis

Sothis Member

Liverpool
    England
    Mar 18, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm going with Quarter Final- although my FM2012 game predicts England win it o_O

Reason being, we might well raise our game to face France, and the irony is, if we're not relying on Rooney, we might actually be more expressive in our football, rather than punting the ball to him.

8. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    I can see England squeezing results past Sweden and the Ukraine. I can't see England defeating the mostly like quarter final opponents in Spain or Italy. England just doesn't have the quality players to be contenders.

9. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    My predictions.

I think England will narrowly get results against Sweden and Ukraine. This tournament is in Poland/Ukraine, so you know they will put up a fight.

Swedish teams tend to be well organised and with guys like Ibrahimovic, they can score at any moment. Sweden will be difficult to break down, which I think may be difficult for England because England is better at counter attacking than they are at carving teams open.

France will easily outclass England because they are quite simply the better team with tons of talent (on the bench as well). However, football is not played with the mouth so you never know...

Expectations are low for this England team because no one expects anything special, really...so I think they may surprise everyone.

I have France as a potential surprise winners of this tournament.

Can't wait for the Euros :)!

10. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The frogs won't deliver, and they won't easily outclass us, regardless of who Hodgson puts on the pitch.... Too much disfunction amonst the players.. Also, their defence is a weakness,..

11. AMBreakers

AMBreakers Member

Boston Breakers, Boston Univ. Women's Soccer, Norwich City, Charleston Battery
    Jun 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England have better players than people think. It's a shame Oxlade Chamberlain and Downing are in the squad ahead of Lennon and Johnson, but there's still potential. This time around I think they'll finish second behind France in the group and lose in the quarterfinal, but with the right matchups anything could happen. Roy has set them up to sit back and soak up pressure, then use speed on the wings and play the ball forward to Carroll. It worked for Chelsea, so who knows?

12. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This isn't the same France side that you saw in the world cup.

Despite this, they simply have much better, and technical, players...and that is a fact.

13. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i'll believe that when i see it, france diddn't qualify with ease....

14. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With all the love you have for France, maybe you should go visit their forum? If not, I'd keep the England jabs to yourself.. and that too is a fact..

15. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    :S What jabs?

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this

17. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Meh, I find it to be true.
    This generation of English players aren't that technical.

I think in the 90's England had better players, tbh.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh good Lord ... really?

Saying France have better individual players than England is hardly contentious. So it's just saying it here? Blimey.

There are anumber of players on the French team who would improve the English team. There are also players on the English squad that would be a bonus to the French side. We're so hypersensitive to "trolling" we can't even acknowledge this?

19. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed.

3L, I don't think at this moment in time the guy is trolling. On the whole, France do have better technical players than us (at least I believe so), and as they are in our group, it should be open for discussion within the England forum

20. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's getting close to tournament time, and this forum as you know attracts a LOT of trolls..

21. rubinkazan

rubinkazan Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    it is pretty obvious that France as a team will be technically better, it doesn't need pointing out to anyone. But technique can often mean nothing, it just depends how both teams are set up. England is more than capable of doing a job on French sides, even great ones, as we did in 1982. I expect Roy will have us difficult to beat and the French will probably be happy to just avoid defeat as well.

22. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    My expectation are the lowest they have been since Graham Taylor era. The team is lacking proven international goal-scorers up front bar Rooney and Defoe. Rooney is out for the first 2 games and Defoe might not even play if Hodgson goes for a younger option up front. Preparation has been terrible with Capello being sacked and then not replaced until months later with Hodgson. Hodgson does not have any time to play around with his squad at all, the Euros are around the corner. I also am pessimistic due to witnessing the dire football Hodgson served up at Anfield - completely passive and unambitious. Similar fare will not succeed for England. I am not sure exactly how the FA think swapping Capello for Hodgson is an improvement.

Of course Football is a funny old game and it might turn out to be an amazing tournament for England. At least we are there this time, so that is already an improvement. We are probably going to have to defeat Ukraine in Kiev to get through to the next Round where tough challengers will await.

I won't make a placing prediction until I get some inkling of the formation and team Hodgson will pick.

23. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I didn't realise his join date was today. Suspicious, but I've not seen a clear troll post as yet. Jury is out I guess.

24. trublu82

trublu82 Member

May 22, 2012
    Columbia, SC, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I take my time to write a post that (in my opinion) was thought out...and I'm suspected of trolling.

:/ That upsets me a bit, to be honest.

I don't even see what caused the issue. I mean seriously, if someone can point me to where I went wrong, I'll apologise.

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I dont know how much you can read into qualifying ,but in their group they got taken to the limit by Bosnia and didnt look impressive . They were 10 minutes away from dumped into the playoffs .

On paper they look dangerous ,but they have some heartless players like benzema and Malouda in their ranks .