How far can Italy go?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FORZA NAPOLI <3, Dec 9, 2013.

?

How far can we go

1. Final

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Semi-Final

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Quarter Final

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. Second Round

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Group Stage

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Champions * * * * *

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Comparing best offensive player with best offensive player, I would, other things being equal, rather have a team with Pirlo (today) and Cannavaro (in 2006) than a team with Baggio and Chiellini.

Not only that, but in 1994, we had Baggio playing out of position because we had essentially no other offensive players who were world-class. He was our entire offense, and he had to play while injured in the final because we had no decent substitutes for him. Today, Pirlo's obvious substitute is Verratti, the best regista in Ligue 1. Not only that, but whereas Baggio was a one-man offense, today we have Balotelli and hopefully Rossi ahead of Pirlo, not to mention the many other offensive midfielders and attackers competing for spots.

Baggio was a once-in-a-generation phenomenon. Overall, I don't see how you can look at any of the Italian offenses from 1994-2004 and say that they had more talent than we have now. On the other hand, the gap in defense is obvious and gigantic.

jerrito repped this.
  2. ArtemioD

ArtemioD Member+

Jun 2, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Every year during that period Italy had better offensive players especially in 2004 with Vieri Del Piero Totti and Cassano. Not one of these players would make that team.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure if its nostalgia or what but I believe Italy from 1994-2004 had incredible players and even a lot better than the WC 2006 winning team. Man for man, I don't think any of the 06 guys were as good as the 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002 or 2004.

Unico10, FORZA NAPOLI <3, afar and 3 others repped this.
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #104 falvo, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ireland and luxemburg? really?

6. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I'd say that on paper, 2002 had to be the top. Totti in his prime, Vieri knocking them in like he was playing in MLS, defense/midfield were very solid though no Pirlo or De Rossi type player. The biggest issue was the coach. Taking a 1-0 lead and putting in defensive players? No balls.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Typical Trap was the issue in 02 & o4..... no one wants to remember Maldini being out jumped by Ahn vs. Korea though...

8. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I remember that clearly but I remember 4 games where Italy played like they were playing a superior opponent.

I remember the Italy in 2006 and 2012 where Italy took it to their opponents. That for me was when Italy learned that the catenaccio is detrimental to the game.

totti fan repped this.
  9. LewanBroski

LewanBroski Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Pasco
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think Italy will go to quarterfinals

10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I remember at around about that time Trap used to use a front three of Del Piero, Vieri and Totti though not in the WC. Best attacking force in world football at the time by a good margin.

But mids was not as strong as in other eras.

Agree on Trap, what a wasted opportunity from the manager. Would loved to have seen what Prandelli could do with that squad.

11. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm a little surprised to see that most think Italy will get bounced in the QF. I think Italy makes it to at least the Semi-Finals. The only reason I don't have them winning the whole thing is because I have them running into Argentina in the Semi-Finals. I think this is Argentina's year to win it. Even then I still have my doubts sometimes. I think with the exception of the attack, Italy is better than Argentina overall.

This is an excellent team and I'm happy Prandelli changed the style. It was a needed change. Catenaccio isn't the way to play anymore. Italy's midfield is among the best in world. The back 4 is a little weaker than usual, but that is made up for by the attacking power that this team now has. If Balotelli and Rossi are in good form then Italy is going to be a major threat. Never fall asleep on this team.

I have them finishing the group 2-1-0. I think the first game against the English will end in a tie since they'll have to adjust to the weather. Both points will probably go conservative and try to pick up a point.

12. Davide13

Davide13 Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    @ihatewaiting4years

Italy will face either Brazil or Spain in the QF. I reckon if they make it past the QF they will go all the way. If they beat either of those two teams they will not be beat by Argentina. Heck their best defender is playing for us!

13. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yes on paper Spain is tougher than Argentina. I'm not so sure if Brazil is better than Argentina. If Italy finally gets past Spain, then that could be a great indicator that Italy is ready to lift their 5th World Cup. Spain is the only team that has stopped Italy from reclaiming their spot at the top. I don't think it's crazy to say that Spain and Germany are the only teams that can match the quality of Italy's starting 11. Italy owns Germany. Just got to beat the Spaniards.

As far as Argentina goes, I just think being on home turf will push them over the edge. Good teams playing on home continent tend to overachieve. I can see Messi and Aguero going nuts and carrying Argentina to at least the final. As of now I have them beating Germany in the final. Germany is very talented, but mentally weak. Under normal circumstances I'd have Italy beating Argentina, but these aren't normal circumstances.

Do you think Italy can beat Spain this year?

jerrito repped this.
  14. faximusy

faximusy Member

May 17, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Italy is a team that, once passed the first phase, can win the cup too. No one wants to meet this team (especially Germany...) because has an historically strong defense attitude and good playing skills.

The problem is that often they have problems to pass this first phase. For reasons that are been studied by scientists for decades, without conclusions...

When Italy was favorite (1990) lost the cup, when wasn't won it (1982, 2006), but always in Europe, never happened in America. Actually no European team has ever won the cup in America...

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

We all laughed that Paletta was actually called up by the Azzuri, it was a big what the moment, because, he was just poor during his time at Boca. There was potential, he had won a U20 World Cup with Messi, but it never panned out, if you watched some of his games at Boca, you would understand. And I am not sure if he is the best Argentine defender in the world. But good for Paletta, he has a chance of going to a World Cup.

16. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Excellent! And also studied by tifosi, believe me.

17. mattteo

mattteo Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He's definitely not as good as Garay but he's better than Fernandez and not any worse than Campagnaro and especially Demichelis. But then so are Fazio, Rodriguez and Musacchio (who I hear FIGC is giving a thorough look at) who weren't even included in the 30-man list.

Sabella's centerback selections are, in my opinion, questionable.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roberto Mancini was saying yesterday on Fabio Fazio that Italy should go far...

19. Parcae

Parcae Member

Nov 3, 2013
    You know, it just occurred to me that of Italy's last 6 World Cups, they've ended with PKs 4 times, and the only two that didn't were ... special (2002 we was robbed, 2010 we was Lippi'd).

I really hope that Prandelli has the team practicing PKs.

20. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

LOL :D

21. DIECI

DIECI Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We BETTER win the 1st game vs England. I think with the group we are in it's a MUST WIN! Our goal has to be to win the group and go on the opposite side of Brazil. Bring on Spain in the quarters, we are well overdue to beat them and have out played them 2 of the last 3 times we faced them (1st round Euro 2012/Conf cup). If we get past Spain in the QF all bets are off! FORZA ITALIA!!!!

Daei_10 repped this.
  22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Although I think the right approach is to try and win every match, we could live with a draw in the opening game. The Costa Rica game is a must win-and frankly, if we can't beat them, we probably don't deserve to move on. If we have at least four points going into the Uruguay match, I think we're ok.

23. LToni

LToni Member

Nov 25, 2007
    toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy must win all 3 games. Last thing i want is to rely on the outcome of other games for italy to go through. It could easily be 2010 again if italy don't get results in the group stage.

24. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys i have a feeling BOTH italy and england will secretly settle on a 0-0 in the first game....

draw benefits them both in eliminating uruguay and making it out of the group (by picking up a win each vs. costa rica of course) ....and they're playing in a shit stadium with crazy humidity on the first game....so they dont want to go all out and tire themselves out in the first game. in these tournaments u have to pace yourself. so a draw seems like favorable to both teams. i'm not expecting a high intensity game

25. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    o_O