How far can Italy go?

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by FORZA NAPOLI <3, Dec 9, 2013.

?

How far can we go

1. Final

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Semi-Final

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Quarter Final

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  4. Second Round

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Group Stage

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  6. Champions * * * * *

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I reckon at least Semi - Final

2. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    They CAN be champions, but it'll be very difficult, they can also get get knocked out in the group stage.

It'll really depend on Prandelli making the right decisions and how hungry is the Azzurri. Then of course there's the luck factor, IMO no team can win the WC without having SOME sort of luck on their side, stuff like critical referee decisions, injuries..etc can make a match go either way.

3. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    The team is decent, a 4-8 place worth. Could make the semi with a bit of luck, but really don't see us winning. Not entering quarter finals would be a failure. The only complete team on planet earth is Spain. They don't have real weaknesses, but still could underperform and still could lose a KO game against tactically apt teams. All the others have their issues, including the host.

4. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    But you didn't feel confident enough to vote? :p

I reckon final if the stars align. They did in 2006...

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who was the guy on ESPN FC who said italy will win it all ?

it was on their Friday show...he picked the teams all the way thru, he said italy will beat brazil in quarters, beat germany in semis and argentina in the final. I was very surprised to see that but it could happen. Italy always has the potential, just depends on how they play on those days.

metallicaband repped this.
  6. vincep5

vincep5 Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Tommy Smyth said it. He took a lot of crap from the other analysts about his predictions. But it made me chuckle a bit. But hey, it could happen if the defense bolsters up. I agree with the luck. You have to be fortunate enough to get the right calls and convert on the chances you create. It will be interesting to see Prandelli's call ups in the spring lead up to the world cup. Hope no Gilardino :)

Daei_10 repped this.
  7. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Italy are as well-rounded as they come. Buffon, Barzagli, Chiello anchoring the defense; Pirlo, DDR & Marchisio in the middle; and talents like Balotelli, Rossi and Insigne in attack.

I would put Brazil due to their pedigree and home field advantage joint favorites with Spain. Thereafter, we must be considered as contenders alongside anyone else.

8. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Most of the guys on ESPN are so anti-Italy its not even worth listening to. Guys like Lalas and Wynalda are idiots only there due to their "accolades" with a US side that has, at best, achieved international respectability.

Its always the same thing. No one gives us our just due entering these tournaments, and we almost always end up at or near the top-as if it's some shocker that we know how to play; like we won four world championships by coincidence. :rolleyes:

But I like this crop. We are flying under the radar. We have a progressive CT who has a nice bit of talent on this side. We can do very well.

Free Sempre X and FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  9. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol ya of course they're gonna hate. No one wants to pick Italy.

10. Scorp redded

Scorp redded Red Card

Jul 14, 2012
    Honestly, after the riots at the game this weekend, I just pray to God, Jesus and Padre Pio that everyone makes it back home safely.

metallicaband repped this.
  11. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Even though I believe Italy can win this, there's a good chance we'll be seeing a QF exit, IMO if we passed that point, we'll have a very good chance to win it all.

12. Karl Winchester

May 7, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I guess Quarter Final. Germany, Spain and Brazil are supposed to win the champions. There are also Argentina, Holland, France,England..

13. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    A lot of people aren't going to like this but historically, the national team goes as Juve goes, so let's just hope for another great Juve season ;) All bias aside, this side is largely reliant on Juve players: Buffon, Barzagli, Chiellini, Pirlo and Marchisio. If Juve retain the title and can do well in CL, that bodes well for the squad's confidence going into the WC.

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think italy is solid in all positions except the Trequarista
    keeper, defense, midfield and attack can be all good...especially with rossi and balotelli if they have a good year....only thing missing is that 1 player behind those two to make the team complete.
    Unfortunately totti is too old and diamanti isn't all that world class...and montolivo def. isnt the answer

15. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That's not a promising thing this time around.

It was ok when Juve were world beaters with talents like Cannavaro, Inzaghi, Zambrotta, Buffon (the younger Buffon) and Conte etc. The Juve players now are good but they're not great; seeing as how the chances of a European team becoming champions in South America are basically 0 to none, I'd rather Prandelli's last contribution to this Italian team be one of transition.

In other words, I want to see more Veratti, Insigne, Rossi, Di Sciglio and Balo. I get that this is Pirlo's last WC, but as much as I love the guy, he's not going to last more than 1 half a game in extreme summer heat (the same goes for Totti). Buffon most of all needs to be transitioned out - the guy's reaction times are starting to really show and although he's a great leader with lockeroom presence, he needs to make way for the kids.

If we play our cards right and give the younger guys a chance to do their thing, that experience will carry them through to Qatar 4 years later (which will be a winter WC i.e. when Italian training regimes start to really ramp up) and we could be among the favorites (it will be a European country that wins in Qatar).

This summer is going to be a screw job for European sides - whether it be physically or through biased officiating - I don't see a European country coming out on top. Germany might surprise and make an assault (because they'll avoid Italy and we're the only country that consistently knocks them out) but otherwise its going to be a South American type-summer.

16. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont buy the euro teams not doin good in s. america thing.....when was the last time a WC was in s. america ? like 30 yrs ago.....a lot has changed since then....for ex. in 2010 s. africa there was a new champion Spain. Records are meant to be broken and WC records really dont mean much since you only get 2-3 per decade

also, the transition to a new team is wishful thinking for most but risky and not guaranteed...u go with your BEST players regardless of age. Now days theres way too much stress put on age vs. ability. Players prices go much higher when they're younger and as soon as they're 28 everyone acts like their career is over. We've seen over and over that is not the case and many players play really good til 35....i actually think players are at their peak in 28 but media and internet likes to think 23 is the age. Players gain experience and get better, as long as you're no very old it doesnt matter. Players like buffon and pirlo are still good, they are still world class and they need to be there if Italy wants to win. You cant expect veratti, insigne to just pick up the pressure on a big stage like that, people forget they are only kids....how confident were u at age 20-24 i know we look at their faces and they look like grown adults but they're not. I rather have someone with a stable mind than some kid. you also dont know whether they will develop later in life or not.

For a coach that has his reputation on the line, why would he sacrifice a WC for the sake of a future when he's not gonna be there?

17. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    2018 is in Russia lol

World Cup isn't a time for experiments, I just hope we'll have a prepared and ready lineup by the WC instead of experimenting too much or wasting time on more useless players such as Gilardino or Aquilani *smh*

18. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Juve got humiliated in the CL again.

Really hoping our NT's future isn't tied to them...

19. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah let's rely on Milan's future NT stars :rolleyes:
    This way nobody will be expecting anything from us.

Daei_10 repped this.
  20. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'll take SES, Balo, Di Siglio and Poli over Marchisio, Giovinco and Quags any day.

BobanFan and Rossonero23 repped this.
  21. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ....I can tell by looking at the Seria A standings alone.

Daei_10 and gumbacicc repped this.
  22. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    LOL are we really comparing Milan to Juve at this stage? Juve shit the bed in CL, but they are vastly superior to Milan.

forza_azzurri repped this.
  23. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no worries, im sure FIGC will find a way to ban or fine some of our players when we win our 3rd scudetto in a row this year.

Then perhaps the team can do much better without dead weights like buffon, chiellini, bonucci, pirlo and marchisio

;)

24. filippomo

filippomo Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Club:
    Modena FC
    As I'm not a juve fan I'm happy they are out of Champion's League, key players will have more time to prepare for the WC, and Ogbonna aside they've not players who would have benefits from gaining experience in CH,L. going into the World Cup.

25. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    in italy sure...in europe? no. not in a million years.

juve couldn't defeat gala.lol