How do we fans get Rafa Marquez thrown out of the league?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by mjlee22, Apr 15, 2012.

1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    So that's why Katie Holmes dated him. :D

2. raymondleone

raymondleone Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6rCYtzJSY&feature=player_embedded"]Patada de Rafael Marquez a Shea Salinas - YouTube[/ame]

:mad: At about the 3 second mark you can see that he used what appears to be the palm of his right hand to smack Salinas in the chin. You can see Shea's head snap back. The punch and kick were clearly deliberate. The league needs to review this video. This marquez fellow needs to be suspended. Also his incompetence led to san jose's 1st goal. He let the sj player run right by him without any remorse for the jersey he represents. Clearly his mind and soul are not with the team. It's a shame they will have him in the roster longer than most of us would of liked.:mad:

3. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goon move by Marquez, should have been a red, and he deserves to be punished for it. As a NY fan, i think most of us are sick of his BS and would support it. I'm not sure the kick in the middle of the roll was intentional, the actions have consequences intentional or not and there was nothing about it that was a "soccer play".

But lets all keep it in perspective. There was a lot of hacky BS going on in that game on both sides of the ball. Bernadez elbowing Cooper in the face in the beginning of the match set the tone. Henry went studs up on Wondo. Chavez's later scissor tackle on Miller from behind should have been a straight red. The whole game was ugly in that regard.

4. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Isnt it obvious that Mario Balotelli, I mean Rafa Marquez was trying to inflict pain onto Salinas face region via slap to chin and kick to face in order to help Salinas cope with the pain that would result from his clavicle being broken.

5. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah I heard Dempsey was trying to do something similar to Talavera in that gif.

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    that was MVP move

7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You, me, and every player in the league at the time all wanted to shake Clark's hand.

You, me, and every player in the league just want to punch Rafa in the jaw.

Funny how two actions of violence, so similar, can cause such different reactions in people.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I did not see anything similar about those actions, Marquez pulled a guy down with a bear hug. It was a foul, maybe yellow card, and penalty. The "kick" at the did not look intentional, certainly less so than the one in then Dempsey clip. Clark intended to physically harm the other guy.

For however poor Marquez attitude may be, the guy has been around the block and probably recognizes that the defense in MLS gets away with murder, unless you are fouling a DP. I do not watch Red Bulls that much, has Marques engaged in any crippling tackles that we see way to often in this league? Blame the refs and the league for accepting these sorts of plays.

And we wonder why our NT pickups up red cards in international competitions while violent play in MLS barely merits a whistle?

9. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Did he? He kicked the guy in the shoulder. If he wanted to physically harm the guy he could have kicked him in the head or stomped down hard somewhere on his arm.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statistical proof of that gif?

11. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I did not accuse him of being efficient with his assault. Clark does not make the best decisions, witness Ruiz and Ghana 2010. I suppose he could have being inviting Ruiz to dinner by kicking him, or asking him the time. If there is was no intent to harm, what other reason is there to deliberately kick somebody like that?

And if you truly believe he intended no harm, then would you also agree that Osvaldo Sanchez meant even less harm with his slide "tackle" of Eddie Johnson because Sanchez, who kicks things for a living, did not even bother to make contact with a guy not paying any attention to him.

12. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Most of our NT plays in Europe. Where apparently no violent play exists and players shake hands and apologize after any challenge. Not like that evil MLS where they kick you and steal your lunch money.

13. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Yes. Perhaps the delay in MLS making an announcement on Marquez is due to the reviewing and consulting of their legal team. Of course, that could be done after Shea Salinas legal consultant does the same.

14. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    Perhaps its time for MLS Season Tix holders to make a stand against game violence and discuss MLS poor officiating standards.

We have to vote with our tickets, but perhaps we can start with our signs at game day. VIOLENCE NOT TOLERATED.

15. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, here come the smurfs and their outrage. Chill, he'll get suspended and that's a proper punishment as well. With that said, there was some thuggery going on in that game on both sides.

No one is upset about the disgusting Chaves tackle on Miller? Could have broken his leg with a two-footed scissor.

16. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    I agree.

And if Marquez really wanted to hurt that guy he could have just gave him a backheel to the face or to the nuts.:D

17. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2002:
    [​IMG]

2009:
    [​IMG]

2011:
    [​IMG]

18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2011:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRS-URFEy-U"]Rafa Marquez Gets Slapped by the wind - YouTube[/ame]

2012:
    [​IMG]

19. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    stopping going to games is not the solution...refs cant see everything all of the time, and I dont know one league in the world where fans and pundits dont complain about refs.

It would be pretty funny to see a giant banner "RAFA PLEASE DON'T KICK ME"

20. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    2006 :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  21. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After reading the article about this on Ives, I was expecting to see Rafa launch some sort of Zangief-esque bearhug/piledriver combo.

The actual video shows a pathetic attempt at containing the opponent and then falling on top of him. Salinas was injured due to Rafa's lame attempt at defense, not any sort of premeditated act of aggression. Get over yourselves.

22. chowhog99

chowhog99 Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Pass the Tissues
    1 person likes this.
  23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Chavez' tackle was a borderline red. But the moral difference was that Chavez was trying to play the ball. Marquez was obviously bent on squashing Shea Salinas.

I'm starting a list of signs for fans to display. How about:
    • R-EJECT RAFA
    • RAFA GO HOME
    • PLAY SOCCER NOT RAFA
    • VIOLENCE NOT TOLERATED
    • RAFA PLEASE DON'T KICK ME
    Hopefully these don't violate BS's standards of decency. I apologize if they do, and please delete this post.

24. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    What delay? They normally anounce DC decisions near the end of the week, around Thursday usually I believe.

I was surprised the Joseph decision was announced early last week. But perhaps they also didn't review that many incidents.

Sounds like they will be busy this week. But games start on Wednesday, so who knows. As long as no one from those teams are involved they could just wait till Thursday so they don't get talked up on the games Wednesday night.

25. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The pushing and pulling in the box happens everywhere, so I'm not too concerned with that. (heck, in some countries there is even some fondling lol) That kick is pretty dirty though. I've seen it happen several times - after a tackle has been made players will try to add a sneaky stomp or kick. In real time when bodies are flying around, I can see how it would be hard for a ref to mistake a kick with the intertia of a tackle. Refs don't have the luxury of replay or gif's, so it's hard to blame them for anything other than the initial tackle on the play.