How did you get to know the team?

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Khaos, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey guys , i'm kind of new here so i don't know if i can create a thread like this but... i guess i'll give it a shot!

I'm kind of curious how everyone has got to start following our team , i mean i don't understand how people from all over the world know our team EXISTS to begin with.

as for me , i'm in a Family that has been Romanista for god knows how long , and i'm from near Rome , so it's kind of a given.
    how about you?

2. JoeASR

JoeASR Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Leicestershire, England
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    about 4 years ago we got ESPN UK which carried Serie A & I used to spend by sundays watching non stop Calcio and with Roma something just stuck, I was instantly in love with this team & haven't looked back since!

3. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Singapore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    If you want to know how everyone came to support the team i made a thread a while ago

Know the team exists though? Through my grandpa, he even made me a mixtape of all the Roma songs and athems. God i miss him

4. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ah. sorry , i didn't see the thread in the front page so i just made one , my bad .

5. Zephyrus

Zephyrus Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Singapore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nono i mean for how we came to support Roma. Not how we found out about Roma, i'm just telling you so you check it out if ya want.

6. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I used to date Ilary so I wanted to do research on who she left me for and then it just naturally progressed.

ASRomaUSA, Haakon24 and davidcaspian repped this.
  7. Dukea

Dukea Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Being Michael Bradley's cousin, I just started rooting for Roma.

8. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's a good one , i cracked up.

9. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family is from Rome. It all evolved from there.

10. Roma Totti

Roma Totti Member

Jul 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was never a fan of sports before 2006. I was 16 at the time. My whole family is Italian. My father and I are the only two not born in Italy. Naturally my family supports the Italian national team. I decided to support Italy as it's in my blood. This is when I got into sports for the first time ever World Cup 2006.

My favorite number/lucky number is 10. Totti happened to be number 10. I picked Totti as my favorite player because of his number. I had no idea who he was or what team he was on. I researched him and never looked back. Been a die hard Roma fan since. Painted my room Roma colors

11. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I have a soft spot for incredibly hot Italian models.

12. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who doesn't? :p

13. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    As a kid watching 1990 world cup and Euro 92, I liked those two players and they happen to play for a club called AS Roma

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not German but I got their shirt as a gift before 1990 world cup and followed them because of it. Classy shirt, still one of the best shirts ever made. :D

[​IMG]

wm72 repped this.
  14. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My family is from Rome. When I was a kid they used to bring me the kits for my birthday when they would come to visit in August. This was back in the late 70's - early 80's.

Now I'm dating myself.

ASRomaUSA repped this.
  15. calcio.ab

calcio.ab Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I started watching Italian football on the swedish television (Uno Kryss Due )
    way back in the 90's and fell in love with Totti and subsequently the whole team. Their spirit, the colors, the chants. Everything. Then I bought my first jersey in '99 and that was it.

[​IMG]

I must've used this shirt hundreds upon hundreds of times.

wm72 repped this.
  16. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Batistuta was my favorite player because he had the best shot in Winning Eleven, so I wanted to see him in action. I was 14 at the time and in Bahrain it was very hard to get Serie A coverage, only rich people could afford the Abu Dhabi subscription at the time. Around the same time I first had access to the internet, and started searching and reading about Roma in forums. Then I learned that the Saudi sport channel broadcasts one Calcio match in delayed recording every tuesday, and that they are going to broadcast Roma-Udinese match this week. I was soooo excited about watching them live for the 1st time, and I fell in love with the atmoshphere and the team and became a devoted Roma fan that day.

This is the match, Batistuta started from the bench but came in later and scored. Also its funny now watching it since Spalletti-MDS-Pizarro ended up playing for us :D

wm72 repped this.
  17. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013

You live in Bahrain and aren't an oil king?

18. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Haha we don't actually have that much oil, we just refine the Saudi oil. It was a very different time, the country was just coming out of a dark age after 25 years under martial law. The new (at the time) king started a new era and liberalized the economy, and as a result now we enjoy western level living standards. But back then it was very different and even eating at Mcdonalds was not affordable for most people.

19. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    How I found out about the team? Just visited Rome and saw the kits, got intruiged, but my dad wouldnt let me get a Totti shirt because he thought he was an asshole (Pool fan). Started streaming the games, partly because Roma bought Riise (dat OT goal vs Juve), bought Aquaman shirt a year before he was sold and gradually decided to stop being a Barca gloryhunter(forgive me, I was like 12)

wm72 repped this.
  20. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    That shirt and the one below are definitely my favorite Roma shirts.

[​IMG]

21. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #21 Lameelaa, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    I Got an Italian national Totti shirt from my aunt, i think i was 12 years old. So just supported Italy a year later i noticed that totti actually plays for 2 teams (as my friends are italians) The national and Roma i only knew a few clubs at that age like Manchester and Ac milan, i never knew that AS Roma Was a team back then.
    i couldn't follow them them as i am now cause internet was on dial up and no mags about the team.

as the years past i knew who the players were, other than Totti.

22. Khaos

Khaos Member+

Apr 8, 2014
    Roma, Italy.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    so many different stories.
    kinda glad no one's said "the new crest made me realize the team is from rome" yet.

23. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I became a fan in 2002...before that hardly watched football at all

Some Georgian channel was broadcasting Serie A and everytime I watched it Roma either drew or lost the game, but I felt the colours :)

24. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    New Roma fan here in the US. I saw them play the MLS all-stars this past summer. I have been a big fan of the Italian National team since 1994 so I knew about Totti, DeRossi, etc...but no one else. Also getting Serie A games on television makes it much easier to follow :) Also going to see Roma vs Man U in Denver this summer!

schnix and whill4 repped this.
  25. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I studied abroad in Rome in the fall of 2007 (oh my, that is a long time ago). I went to my first game at the Stadio Olimpico and Taddei scored 2 goals and I was pretty much hooked. Although I would say that I started watching the club seriously in the 2009-2010 season.

After being one of those Americans who thought soccer was boring, I have grown to really love the game. Watching games from all different leagues to see different styles and especially playing football manager gave me a big appreciation for the intricacies and tactics involved.

wm72 repped this.