How concerned should the Rowdies be?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Bluesfan, Sep 10, 2012.

?

How will the Tampa Flames change your local club allegiance?

1. I am a diehard Rowdies supporter and would only watch the Flames lose to the Rowdies in the Open Cup

35.3%
  2. I will support which ever team wins

5.9%
  3. I will check out a few Flames games, but will remain a Rowdies fan.

29.4%
  4. I will support both clubs equally. They are in two different leagues, no need to choose.

11.8%
  5. I can't wait to burn my green and gold, save money not having to cross the bridge, and Forza Flames!

17.6%
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, $137,000 in extra revenue would only be a really big deal if the extra money came on the St. Pete side. If it comes on the Tampa side, it's not a big deal at all.

Apparently.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, really. And the math on 2000 more tickets sold comes out to around $392,000 in additional ticket revenue alone over what they are pulling in now. You know, chump change.

With their own stadium and, again run competently, possibly drawing 5,000 a game they'd be pushing a million dollars in ticket revenue alone each season. And 5k isn't exactly asking for the sky and the moon.

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but it is a bit of an overestimation of the market for the product, when you consider 82% of all DII teams going back to 1994 have failed to get 5k announced for a season.

Only 10 franchises have ever done it. Carolina, Colorado Foxes, Montreal, Portland, Puerto Rico, Rochester, San Antonio, Seattle, Syracuse and Vancouver. That's it, that's the list.

Two no longer exist. Four are in MLS now. Three are still in D2. One is now in D3.

It's a nice wish and you have to have goals, but look at the landscape. It's not that it can't be done, it's that it's just slightly over-optimistic.

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think the ownership had no choice where would they play? at GSF they probably had to pay more rent, parking, security,concessions then at ALF.

The only land they had was shot down by NIMBYS, so that settled that.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could have gone to Brandon. I've heard that's a great place.

6. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Playing in Tampa was more costly than St. Pete. The club's lack of effort in the marketing area could be a result of having lower stadium costs. That is also why I think the stadium plan has been MIA as well. These investors no longer see the urgent need for their own yard when they can get by at ALF with flat attendance.

7. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So OC will now have a team to beat year in and year out...so fans can be happy that they beat a "Tampa" team.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they play in Tampa...they would be a "Tampa team," wouldn't they? As opposed to the team that plays in Retirementville?

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha....we represent the whole bay area...except for the monster truck rally fans... the biggest event in Tampa.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the hockey fans... and the pointyball fans... and judging by the difference in attendance between Rays and non-Rays nights, the baseball fans.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is proven...some here want the area to be divided and that's their point.

Their is also a team in Clearwater that nobody cares about and it's out of sight and out of mind. that's the way it should be.

What city has a NASL team and a USL team? and if you say none because one is in St.Pete well then you are a water carrier for USL and Holt.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've never proven a point in your life.

Considering there are only eight cities in the NASL and 11 in USL Pro....

You constantly throw out shit that you think proves your point, when it doesn't. "It's 120 degrees today." "Did you have eggs for breakfast? SEE!"

Enough, already.

Look, your entire worldview is shaped by how your favorite team decided to go in the dispute. You can no longer say, [Frankenstein]"ARRRRR...Marcos...bad,"[/Frankenstein] so your meme is "ARRRR...Holt...bad."

13. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still didn't answer question: What city has NASL and USLPRO?

because I will support Rowdies and Clearwater team....

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry you're so obtuse you actually need an answer to that question.

The one you just got done saying should be out of sight? Like a good little non-troublemaking team? I'm sure you'll be all over Clearwater's team.

15. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was being facetious, just like fans who will support all teams and they are the minority.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, please tell everyone the acceptable ways to consume soccer.

17. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As you all know...in 2013 there should be 13 USL Pro and 9 NASL (please no folding tents) and only the TB area will be represented in both leagues. Did any of you attend PDL games in Brandon? I did. For that matter, have any of you attended PDL games in Orlando (Sanford really), Bradenton or Panama City? I have and I think the way those game day experiences are produced may impact how the managment will do in the next division. Have any of you been to Carolina Railhawks games? How about Ft Lauderdale? Again I have been to those places this year. Also, attended USMNT in Jax and Tampa and went to KC to see them play for the Olympic berth BUT saw the Mexican's play instead. My point is not that I am retired and have lots of time (and secretly want to see as many games as Jay Anthony) it is that I am going to make a statement about minor league soccer game experience and want Kenn and the rest to not spear me as an incompetent boob.

The Citrus Bowl is huge but the OCSC folks make it as fun as college football (small college anyway) and the 900 or so folks who go to see the U-23 team have refreshments, parking, seats and chants equal to the division one step up at USL-Pro facilities (Dayton, Wilmington, Pitt.). The VSI Brandon Flames bought the Brandon youth league park so they have refreshments, water closets, shaded stands, and they tried for a game experience for the 100 or so paying fans (youth leagues that finished practicing/playing get in free and the numbers at the games blossomed in the 2nd half of the 2 games I attended). Also, both of those teams have management who are very open to talking about their teams and world soccer in general. One of the owners of the Flames introduced me to several USL executives and staff who had made it to the Flames/OC game. I maybe a nobody but they were nice to me (Phil Rawlins was talking to me when they all walked up so maybe they thought I was somebody?). I want to think they just wanted to watch a game and have fun. Both of these groups seem to get the fundamentals and are trying to build an integrated total team package. As opposed to IMG Bradenton that only host a PDL team to give their foreign students something to watch and a pool of "Coaches" for their other endeavors. It looks like a great place to play but it is not a very good place to watch a game, no bathrooms, snacks etc. also no signs from the main road to tell you where to turn. I was the only paid attendee for the first LA vs. Antigua game and got treated to the "making sausage" part of USSF/USL Pro/FIFA (Antigua) decision making when it rained for an hour. But that had nothing to do with this topic just funny as hell to watch.

The ALF and the Rowdies game day is OK, you know 2 stars out of 4 sort of stuff and Andrew Nestor is always there but he doesn't like to talk very much and is oh so secretive about everything. Also, the players he has cast off think he is a dick (very likly sour grapes from them but maybe) so don't expect managment genius from him. The gameday at ALF is in-line with Lockhart and the security/staff of the facility are much nicer and easier to work with at ALF (at least no one has pulled a knife on Garret at the ALF). Both are better than the ugly Americans working at the Legends’ field. But both of them are a step below Carolina and nowhere near MLS.

I look forward to hearing where the USL team will play. No beer and limited tailgate potential on campus (CDB pre-game?)so I hope they find a municipal stadium that is soccer friendly until the stadium they are talking about is created. Running a PDL club may not be an indication of how they will run USL Pro but they are talking a good game and the are present at many events I have attended.

I disagree with those who do not think the area can support 30 + professional games next summer with 3-5,000 per game. I based this asinine comment purely on the number of people who attend other sports and drink beer here. (Why do the Rowdies not work with the half dozen breweries in the two counties so we can have better beer? I hate the baseball commission).

I will attend at least two games, when the Lions visit there to beat them.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Haven't they said USF?

They're barely getting 3,000 a game at the 14 they do have.

19. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012

20. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not support them or any other team besides Rowdies.

Basically I will treat them like Clearwater (scientology) team.....

anybody remember Florida Tuskers? guess what happened?

22. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UFL team?

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me guess....they went away because you didn't support them?

24. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rowdies are drawing 3,000 in St Pete and as has been mentioned a few times here, that is miles away. The metro area still has nearly 3 Mil and like pepsi vs coke some will like this new flavor better. I look forward to next fall to see if I'm right.

25. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, they closed shop in FL because they had too much competition with Arena football in Tampa and Orlando, and Bucs in Tampa.