How concerned should the Rowdies be?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Bluesfan, Sep 10, 2012.

?

How will the Tampa Flames change your local club allegiance?

1. I am a diehard Rowdies supporter and would only watch the Flames lose to the Rowdies in the Open Cup

35.3%
  2. I will support which ever team wins

5.9%
  3. I will check out a few Flames games, but will remain a Rowdies fan.

29.4%
  4. I will support both clubs equally. They are in two different leagues, no need to choose.

11.8%
  5. I can't wait to burn my green and gold, save money not having to cross the bridge, and Forza Flames!

17.6%
  1. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    When did they play on a baseball field? I thought they only played at Arrowhead.

2. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They spent a few years at CA Ballpark to allow Arrowhead Stadium to begin its renovation. It was during that time they hammered out the deal to build Livestrong.

4. Sevin

Sevin Member

May 24, 2001
    U.S.
    Forgot all about that. Thanks.

5. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We seriously need new owners. I don't care about us jumping into MLS in the future. I just want us to reach our full potential as a Soccer Club in whatever Division we play in. This includes a solid fan base and our own Soccer Specific Stadium. It's obvious that our front office hasn't gotten us any closer to fulfilling these goals. If VSI is able to provide the things I just mentioned, then it will confirm the complete ineptitude of our front office. I really wouldn't blame anyone jumping ship, especially the casual fans living in Hillsborough County.

6. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012
    One of the differences between VSI and the Rowdies ownership is that VSI is a soccer company with ownership and employees who are soccer people that have put together a long term plan for their team that is already well funded for years to come. While I don't know the Rowdies ownership personally I do know a little of their background and business experience and it is not in soccer. They appear to be like a lot of successful business owners that have jumped into the USL and / or now the NASL who have good intentions but don't really have any idea how to run a pro sports franchise nor do they invest in proven leadership for their franchise. Example number one would be andrew Nestor the GM, he has no prior experience in running a sports franchise, let alone starting one from scratch. Next look at their sponsor page. No big title sponsors or nationally recognized companies. To often they try to do it with whom ever they can hire cheap and locally, although there are certainly qualified people locally. Investing in quality, experienced employees will pay off if you hire them and empower them to do there jobs but to often they are handcuffed by a lack of funding or micro managed. I believe VSI has put together a full business plan, with the funding already in place and are engaging the right leadership in the Greater Tampa Bay Area. Only time will tell!

7. tampasteve1

tampasteve1 Member

Tampa Bay Rowdies and Strikers
    Jul 21, 2009
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am one of the casual soccer fans described. I will watch international games and leagues and the World Cup on TV and would like to occasionally attend a live game. I had plans of going to Rowdies games, but Al Lang was a terrible place for soccer and honestly since they moved to St. Petersburg I do not want to make the drive after work or on the weekend since I live up in Wesley Chapel. With that said I absolutely plan on attending Flames games at USF or anywhere else in Tampa. St. Petersburg is just to far to go for most casual fans. This should be evident from the attendance.

Also, since I am reasonably interested in the Rowdies I have made an effort to find out about them and follow the standings, if I had not then I would have no clue that there was a minor league soccer team in the area, no matter what division. This is where the front office is really failing. They have got to advertise more and at least have a plan to move to a more central location.

People can flame me and other casual fans, but drive time does matter a lot. Since the team is not on TV one can only watch live, and most casual fans in Hillsborough do not want to drive to St. Pete.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andrew Nestor:

Established successful club in the North American Soccer League that was 3rd in total revenue generated and finished 3rd in regular season standings in only its second season of play;

- Boston native and multi-sport athlete
    - Member of Tampa Bay FIFA 2018/2022 World Cup Bid Committee
    - Nominated for the 2012 Executive of the Year Award and the 2011 Young Executive of the Year Award at the Tampa Bay Sneaker Soiree, presented by the Tampa Bay Sports Commission to celebrate excellence in sports business
    - Appointed to 2009 and 2010 US Soccer Federation Second Division Executive Committee
    - Appointed to North American Soccer League Executive Committee and Finance Committee
    Specialties

Statistical analysis, advanced financial modeling, financial and managerial accounting, private placement and M&A deal analysis and management

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they played at Steinbrenner field they only averaged 500 more.

I just think people have other plans than soccer, hell the Bucs can's sell tickets 2 years in a row.

10. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    This is why I think both teams could coexist. You live as far away from the Rowdies as you can get and still be in the metro area. The Rowdies do pull from Hillsborough, but I would guess it is mostly from West and South Tampa. The East Tampa (and Brandon), Pasco, and New Tampa areas will all be prime markets for the Flames.

BTW, curious if you went to games at GSF in 2010?

11. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Actually they don't anymore. It has been soccer only for awhile. The latest renovation removed the remaining vestiges of it being a baseball park.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

( a) You know he wrote that, right?
    ( b ) How far back does all the soccer go, again? 2009? Like a year after the franchise was first awarded?

A lack of true soccer and franchise-building experience has hurt this club since day one. They've made better decisions going forward, but the first year was a comedy of errors. From Dalglish to the horrible PR person at launch to dropping the ball on the name to player decisions to media decisions, they've all been the mark of what happens when you think this is a DIY project.

So the fact is, no, he didn't have experience doing this going in.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So that's your apologist's stance now? That 500 more a game (it was actually 700, genius) is no big deal?

Think they'd like 700 more a game now? Or 24% more than they got this year? I mean, getting the brand back AND winning AND better dates were worth 3.5%. I guess all those Rays games (half cough cough) really hurt.

Remember, you were the one who said they were going to sell out every game in St. Pete and that you were sure they could get 7k to a game given the population of Pinellas.

Unless they're good, in which case there doesn't seem to be a big issue. Given the cost of NFL tickets and given what the market has gone through with that franchise the last 10 years, it's not a surprise.

Every single market in this country has to deal with people who have other plans other than soccer. You have to find the people who want to be soccer fans and attract them. Of course, it helps to have actual experience in doing that. And it would be helpful if they actually were from the Bay area and understood the dynamics of the bridge.

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So tell me why Bucs aren't selling the number #1 sport in U.S.?

and why did Lightning have better attendance when they played in St. Pete Thunderdome?

15. mng146

mng146 Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    You have to admit, some of his "yeah but" retorts are creative. They don't make any sense, but they're creative.

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they've sucked for several years. I'm willing to bet fans aren't happy that the Glazers seem more interested in Manchester United than their team, either. But them sucking is the same story for the Dolphins. Hilariously enough, the Jaguars outdraw both, and have at least outdrawn the Bucs for several years.

Good marketing, combined with a much larger venue. And to be honest, their biggest average attendance year was 20,509 in 2005-06 (following the strike, which was after they won the title), and that was at the Forum, not at the Trop.

17. Soccer Joe

Soccer Joe Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Boston native and multi sport athlete has nothing to do with running a sports franchise
    Member of Tampa WC bid is very different from running a sports franchise
    Nominated for an award in Tampa not a qualification
    The two appointments are nice but there are only 8 teams in the 2nd division / NASL so he is one of how many on these committees

The statistical, etc qualifications are impressive and will certainly help but prior to his position with the Rowdies I don't see any experience running a sports franchise.

18. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And as I've pointed out before, without actual numbers, "3rd in total revenue" (wasn't it 2nd before?) could mean anything, up to and including "3rd least money lost".

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 3rd in revenue usually means most 3rd money collected, now expenses could (I assume are) higher than revenues so they may still lose money (how much?)

I wonder who is #2, SA is probably #1 in revenue (Also #1 in expenses I bet).

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't want to go back and address the other stuff you got wrong before we do this? You just want to move the goalposts?

How come Oakland isn't selling the number one sport in the US? How come Seattle's soccer team outdraws its MLB team 2-1?

The Bucs have sucked for years, the owners are disliked and the area has been really hard hit by the recession. But, hey, beer, scarf, blah blah blah.

'Cause it was new, dumbass. We didn't have baseball yet. The three years in St. Pete, they averaged 19,320. The three best years at the Palace/Forum, they averaged 19,693 (and 18,468 last year). Tampa's not the frigging issue.

Seriously, when it's pointed out that you're wrong about something, don't change the freaking subject. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about. About anything.

21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So since their will be a team in Tampa, does that make them our hated rivals, just like with inner city clubs around the world?

Because I will not go to a VSI game just to support them when they play OC...that's idiotic for me, especially if you are a mobster.

22. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you wish. Or they could be another team to check out when the Rowdies are out of town. Just don't make the decision based on how they do it "around the world."

23. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no I'm talking from personal experience. I'm a diehard Wisla krakow fan and for me it would be unthinkable to go to a Cracovia krakow game to support them when they play one of our rivals. but that's just me. Wondering what other Ralph mobsters think?

Even if VSI Tampa was a MLS team I wouldn't go. I started supporting Rowdies and I will stay with them.

24. wickedwill

wickedwill Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Rowdies supporter and will also go to Flames games when the Rowdies are off, they are a Tampa team in another league so I have no issue and look forward to going to both. If they were both in the NASL then it would be a diffirent story.

Also if we had an MLS team I can assure your that the majority of Rowdies fans would also support the MLS team. Im about supporting Tampa Bay soccer, if we are to make soccer more popular in this country we need to support our local teams at the different levels. So for me it's NASL Rowdies, USL Pro Flames, and NCAA USF Bulls. I also will attend high school games at times.

Not attending games to any of the divisions will not help the cause of soccer in the USA, but I respect everyones opinions.

25. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if Tampa Bay can support two minor league teams or not. Perhaps, if both are competently run, well financed and bust ass at making the operation work. And even then, it's only a pretty big "maybe". Certainly much more so than a "definitely".

And "only" 700 more tickets in Tampa breaks down something like: 700 x (estimated) $14/average price of ticket sold = $9800 additional ticket revenue per game

$9800 x 14 regular season home games = $137,000 in additional revenue over the course of a season. Before concessions sales, additional merchandise sales and parking revenue. Not to mention increased sponsorship value, etc.

Now imagine a competently run club, in the downtown Tampa area with it's own stadium might draw 5k? Do the math on the difference in revenue between 3k tickets sold and 5k tickets sold.

Being satisfied with "maybe" breaking even while playing in a 70 year old minor league baseball stadium in the far flung corner of the metro market just seems like you kind of don't care a little.