How concerned should the Rowdies be?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by Bluesfan, Sep 10, 2012.

?

How will the Tampa Flames change your local club allegiance?

1. I am a diehard Rowdies supporter and would only watch the Flames lose to the Rowdies in the Open Cup

35.3%
  2. I will support which ever team wins

5.9%
  3. I will check out a few Flames games, but will remain a Rowdies fan.

29.4%
  4. I will support both clubs equally. They are in two different leagues, no need to choose.

11.8%
  5. I can't wait to burn my green and gold, save money not having to cross the bridge, and Forza Flames!

17.6%
  1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how, but go ahead and tell me, given you're not a baseball guy.

As it is in most cities likely to be large enough to have major league teams.

Gee, if only I'd thought to say that. Oh, wait, I did. That's why I said what I did and qualified it.

And, yet, it's had USF, UCF and FIU as teams in its short history. And sports marketing is a shit-ton more complicated than you're making it out to be.

Other than, you know, the number of people who don't go to games on the St. Pete side. Over and over and over and over a number of years. And I don't know what "home shows" are, nor do I care. We're talking about soccer and (apparently) baseball here, a sport you admit you don't get.

Oh, YOU can qualify stuff. I can't. I gotcha. My bad.

Surely better than Edmonton's. Was better than PR before the upgrade. MIGHT be a tossup with NSC, but NSC has been renovated more recently and at least has a proper-sized field. But it ain't leaps and bounds.

Wait, wait, wait. I have to use definitive proof, but you get to use subjective assessments? How does that work again?

And I think it's closer to 50/50. Maybe 55/45 ineptitude. But, to be fair, they have seemed to learn some things. Obviously, not enough to keep them from "clearly" being a couple of steps behind the mighty VSI, but, hey, you do what you can.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for missing the ********ing point again, genius.

I'll ask again, more pointedly: Do you know why other games DON'T sell out? Because of 37 YEARS OF BULLSHIT LIKE THE WAY THAT GAME ENDED SUNDAY.

That's why. Has ********-all to do with Tampa. Has to do with an organization that has been the blind squirrel that has only rarely found an acorn. Jesus, you're an idiot.

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rowdies already played in Tampa and was their a ground swell? No.

IF downtown Tampa does improve with more bars etc..I don't care if they move.

well since VSI is taking over Tampa, I guess Rowdies will have to build at ALF site ;)

4. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams have blackouts in NFL? and what cities?

How many crappy teams in NFL sell-out?

5. Hunter.S.Soccer

Apr 13, 2006
    Tampa
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, you're going to insist that all marketing professionals (my profession) are wrong and that "trading areas" don't matter. A trading area is the area where you are most likely to do business. A trading area has boundaries. Most often, those boundaries are natural obstacles, such as rivers, mountains, canyons or even bays (they can even be man made, such as railroad tracks and freeways). They use these as boundaries because it is a known fact that people hesitate to breach such boundaries in the course of being a consumer.

The Tampa trading area is the primary target area for soccer (and many, many other things) in the Tampa Bay area, it is bordered by a bay on one side whether you like it or not. The Tampa trading area is defined as such because people don't easily breach that boundary (the bay/bridge) in the course of being a consumer.

Please, for your own dignity, stop insisting that the bay/bridge doesn't matter. It does.

bullsear repped this.
  6. JOEKIR

JOEKIR Member

Napoli & Orlando City
    United States
    Oct 28, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    http://voices.yahoo.com/downtown-tampa-soccer-stadium-11919347.html?cat=55

Al Lang is a little better than what they had going at Legends, but it is still a baseball stadium. Baseball stadiums are horrible for watching a soccer game. St Pete might be an ok location for those that live in Pinellas and West Tampa, but for those of us who live on the eastern side and even Polk county, I personally would rather drive to Orlando than to St Pete. Downtown Tampa is the place to be. If the Rowdies were smart, they would partner with Tampa Bay United or even Clearwater Chargers and use them as their Academy team, similar to what Orlando City has done. I know VSI hasn't put their pro team on the field yet, but everything else has been legit so far. While it appears that VSI has big dreams, at least they are dreaming. I don't think the Rowdies have any further aspirations of becoming more than what they are, and that is dissappointing considering the potential and the history.

7. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I think the White Sox, Indians and Giants were in line before the Rays finally came, too. While I personally think the Trop is underrated as a stadium.

Aloha Stadium was built specifically for the University of Hawaii's football and baseball teams, and Hawaii's AAA baseball team til it moved to the mainland in 1987. At the time (finished 1975) it only cost $37m.

This year, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Buffalo and San Diego have had multiple blackouts. I think Miami had at least one blackout, too.

As for crappy teams, Tennessee sells out, while Carolina's at 99% and Detroit's at 98%. (For the record, only 10 of the 32 NFL teams average a sellout this year.)