How come Benny FEILHABER is always the substitute?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ayuud, Jul 13, 2010.

1. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always took the brace against Mexico as the nail in the coffin for that myth.

2. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Some? Try most.

I take it you think Mikey delivered some kind of amazing performance in the world cup or something. LOL. Like against who? England?

Oh, but wait. He had a goal! (Guess Altidore - who was instrumental in that goal - had an amazing world cup, too).

Anyone who thinks Michael Bradley would have had the same number of starts and the same number of minutes during the past 4 years (or the past year, for that matter) if someone other than his dad was coach is in utter and complete denial. After being given a couple of quick looks by Arena, the guy becomes an automatic starter who plays every minute of every game the instant his dad takes the helm. Gee, what an incredible coincidence.
    Perhaps the clearest cut case of nepotism you'll ever see in professional sports. Telling how sensitive Mikey is to the issue on those rare occasions when a reporter actually broaches the subject.

3. Jozy!

Jozy! New Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get if it upsets people that the only chance Jr. would ever be off the field is when he sees red. And yeah, I can easily see that if we had another manager, Jr. wouldn't see as many minutes as he's gotten this cycle. But if you think Michael Bradley isn't a starter on our team, or even better, if you think Bradley DIDN'T have an amazing WC, perhaps you are blind. Bradley had a better tournament than Donovan.

Also, Jozy did have a good tournament. Drew 6 yellows, set up two crucial assists, and was unlucky not to score. People like to think that if you don't score you didn't play a key role. I'd like to know why.

4. Aaryque

Aaryque Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Norcal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be willing to bet "most" would appreciate it if you didn't speak for them.

5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have to say that you're an obsessed hater. Bradley had an outstanding tournament and garnered alot of praise.

That was his first world cup, and as a 22-year old, he played a major role on the team. He was the spine of the Yanks. He's a star in the making.

6. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And he's not ever going to change his mind, at least not in response to anything anybody says here.

It doesn't matter how many other people, including managers at high-level clubs, see things differently. It doesn't matter that Edu was hurt an unavailable for selection for most of 2009. It doesn't matter than Feilhaber has also been hurt or rusty for much of the cycle or that he isn't able to put in the defensive work we require out of starting CMs. It doesn't matter that Holden was brought in as fast as warranted... Evidence doesn't matter to the person you're arguing with, so it's not an argument worth having.

7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So wait, whats the issue here? Are people trying to make a Feilhaber vs. Bradley?

If so, I agree... they both play similar, but Bradley can score, but adds more to the defense when needed, he can hustle back and tackle HARD.

On the flip side, Feilhaber can add to the GROUP as an attack, but can't quite score as well as Bradley on the run or finish chances as well when given them, but he can make and send passes that open other guys around him. He does NOT defend AT ALL like Bradley though, and basically only stays above the half way line or close to it almost like a forward, helping the attack playing extremely up.

Depends on what the coach wants, with Bob probably gone, it will take bradley out as a cemented starter... and give maybe feilhaber a chance to take that from him.

I personally would LOVE to see feilhaber and torres together... but bradley is good. I love the guy too... I wish we could somehow find a way to start him too! Supporting striker would be my dream... cause that guy can finish!

8. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they were starting as CMs, we'd get overrun in the middle of the field. Neither of of those guys has the engine, the speed, or the defensive bite to play as one another's partner.

If you want them both in the middle of the field, you'd need to go to a 4-5-1 or some variant of it ( say a 4-1-4-1) and put a dedicated DM in the middle too. (Edu, Bradley, maybe Jones if he's ever back to full strength). It would be interesting to see that happen. (FWIW, I don't think it would've been a good starting line-up for WCQs and the WC because I think the players have only recently gotten good enough to play that way.)

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    ^^True..... but it would be cool to see tried in a friendly.

But I've always wanted to see a 4-5-1, with Torres a little farther back behind donovan on the left, with dempsey on the right.

----------------------------------Altidore------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------Dempsey-----
    -----Donovan------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------Torres(Feilhaber)------------------Feilhaber(bradley)----
    ------------------------------------Edu-------------------------------------

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your last two words are unnecessary.

:D

1 person likes this.
  11. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Why do you say that if Bob Bradley were gone, Michael Bradley no longer be a "cemented starter?" What does one have to do with the other? LOL

12. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Funny that you didn't cop the the same sanctimonious attitude wrt fingersomething's original remark.

13. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Yeah, yeah. Attack the messenger when you're unable to effectively debate the issue.

Here, let me try. "Gee, I would say that you're an obsessed fanboy."

14. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you may then want to hope the US doesn't pick a European coach for the Nat's, because the only available evidence is that Euro coaches love Mike Bradley. He's been a virtual cemented starter for 3 consecutive years at two different Euro clubs. A Euro coach could very well lock MB in as a starter and make him captain! ;)

I agree with others that a Feilhaber+Torres central midfield would get overrun in a 4-4-2. You need a much better defensive presence in there with those two, and that probably means a 5-man midfield. But I don't like the idea of MB being the DM behind Feilhaber and Torres. That would significantly restrict MB's best attributes, which is his fast transition game, his ability to run box-to-box, and his ability to get into scoring positions.

At best, I think you would see Feilhaber and Torres "sharing" one central midfield spot in a 5-man structure, with 2 more mobile CMs as well. Maybe like this:

LM---------Feilhaber/Torres-----Bradley--------RM

--------------------Edu/Jones-------------------

Sort of a Spain-lite 4-1-4-1 circa 2008. Nutmeg (where is he, anyway???) and I both suggested this over a year ago.

15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, since BB became coach, Bradley bursted on the scene. He was given more of a chance to play then any player, in the end he proved himself though and is a great player.

But sometimes I feel in some games another playre should have been tried out in his position. In friendlies, in different matches, etc. It would have been interesting to see things tried out, but it didnt happen.

I feel with a new coach he wont be seen as a THE ONLY option to try out in the midfield, but more flexibility on a new coaches mind, to try different combos. Thats not taking anything away from Mikey though, he is a great player... but for once i'd like to see a chance in the middle to see what it can produce. Even in a friendly, or a match that doesnt matter much.

Yea, I understand where you are coming from cause of his work rate, Euro' coaches eat that up like cake.

But you never know, a coach comes in and wants to analyze and judge all players for himself, testing them, and messing with lineups to see what he can do and who he thinks works where.

Personally, with MBs ability to score, and shoot, and finish... i'd actually want him to be tried as a secondary striker to Jozy. But thats just me. ;)

Yea, MB has that 'free' role where at times he is almost a 3rd forward. He does come back to chase balls, but many times is ALOT higher then his other partnering CM. So yea, to make him a DMid is dumb.

I still want to see feilhaber and Torres tried maybe in a friendly together. Feilhaber has that Damian Manzo style of play, and Torres works well with him in Pachuca often setting him up as they both make runs together from the midfield. I'd like to see that and how it would work.

And yea, maybe throw Edu in there as defensive measure just to be safe ;).

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    there's a diversity of opinion on the merits of mb's talents and fortunes of players often change with arrival of a new sheriff.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    then again after running the rule over the pool a euro coach could easily go in another direction. there are other successful center mids in the pool

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, anything is possible.

But my comments were directed toward a general undercurrent of hope that "hypothetical Different European Coach X will see things more like the way I see them and play a classic #10 in the US midfield, instead of Mike Bradley's hustle and bustle." That's what a lot of folks are dreaming about.

Yet, by all available evidence the last 3 years, European coaches have really liked Mike Bradley's performance and made him virtually a lock central midfield starter for some 36 months now. Meanwhile, European coaches have taken a pass on Feilhaber as a central mid, and used him only as a left midfielder at a 2nd tier level. And European coaches haven't beaten a path to JF Torres so far, either.

So, in light of the call for more Feilhaber and Torres, my point was don't hope for a European coach for the US, because that will the probably reduce the odds of you seeing more Feilhaber and Torres.

On the other hand, a Euro coach might take more looks at Edu and Holden in the US Central midfield, assuming they stay healthy (knock on wood). But the evidence for that is only preliminary and brief. Oh, and then there is Jermaine Jones, arguably the polar opposite of JF Torres.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree on Holden, he has TONS of potential too. He is a perfect fit with skill and hustle. Torres though I think is the most skilled on the team as far as vision goes, but doesnt score goals outright like a feilhaber or bradley would, nor has that up and down the field hustle, he stays stationary but covers certain ground from his position.

All players have their strengths and weaknesses, and it will be up to the coach which players fit where, and with who.

I think torres would do well in spain too, feilhaber also, because over there the game is still very possession oriented, not so much in other euro leagues, and can touch it around, and are more patient with teh ball like in mexico and argentina.

20. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Guaranteed if a new coach comes in, MB ain't going to be starting every game and playing every minute for the next 4 years, as has been the case the last 4 years with the attitude being "There's exactly ONE inside mid slot available for evaluation purposes, no ifs, ands or buts."

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    If we have 2 proven CMs other than Bradley that stay in form and uninjured for a period of time between 2010-14, then Bradley should see the bench every once in a while.

Sadly none of these things happened between August 2007 and June 2010.

22. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Amazing. So there was exactly one "proven" inside mid in the entire U.S. population who was uninjured "for a period of time" over a span of 4 YEARS. And - even more amazingly - that one guy happened to be the coach's son. What an incredible coincidence.
    So that's why he started every game. That's why he was never subbed, even in pointless friendlies and blowouts.

23. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never?

24. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's basically true, even if you refuse to believe it.

* Feilhaber was BB's #1 CM choice in 2007 (most Caps, most starts, most minutes), but his playing form tumbled in 2008 and he also got injured. Didn't really get back into decent shape until the spring/summer of 2009. Plus, he has NEVER been a starting CM for any professional club; a little-used CM reserve and a starting Danish League left mid is his limited resume.

* Edu was an MLS and professional rookie in 2008 and then was hurt for the majority of 2009. Didn't return to decent form until the spring of 2010.

* Mastro was a top choice in 2007 and 2008, but faded with age and was (probably too slowly) replaced by Clark.

* Clark has been a regular MLS starter, although he did have a brief injury back in 2008 (?) and then injured again after his transfer to Frankfurt in 2010. He probably should have gotten more of Mastro's minutes early in the cycle.

* Torres was a nobody in 2007, but BB started using the 2nd year part-time club starter in 2008 and more in 2009, when he became a steady starter for his club. And Torres has publicly admitted he wasn't up to the speed of play internationally.

* Holden wasn't an MLS regular until 2008, when he mostly subb'ed and played outside midfield. He then joined the Olympic team and Nat's in 2009, and became Houston's CM starter for the first time in 2009. But his De Jong injury in February really knocked a hole in his Nat's development.

These are the facts, and they have been widely and regularly discussed on these forum threads. Mike Bradley has been the ONLY healthy, in-form, regular club starter among the US CM pool since the Fall of 2007, and all the while at a higher level than any of the others. The only one. You are welcome to ignore this reality if you choose, as it is a free country. ;)

1 person likes this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    european coaches? too much extrapolation off 2 years in a mid tier league 2 on a middling team to go with no league wide awards and sketchy reviews from the media.