How come Benny FEILHABER is always the substitute?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ayuud, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why? Because Bradley is the only guy that is allowed the same freedom and be a starter!!!

Feilhaber in a perfect world would be started there, but Bradley always comes through with his big goals..... so why?

He is fine as a sub, and until he proves that he can kick ass for a full 90 he will continue to be one.

Our midfield is sooooo stacked though....

2. pwk1868

pwk1868 Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Chicago
    I think he is fine as a sub. He plays that role so well, its really a change of pace and style that forces the other team to adjust to. I could see him starting in a 4-2-3-1 or a formation like that. For now though he works great as a sub and why change that.

3. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    I agree, he's better as a sub. He had some good Copa games too that probably made him look like the next big thing there for a while. He probably isn't starting much at this point because in the middle of the cycle there he would disappear from games and his club also nailed his arse to the bench.

4. MeastFootball

MeastFootball New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His role on this team is best suited as a substitute, such as coming on at the half like he did in a few games at the World Cup.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His game against Brasil in the CC final was one of the best a US central mid this cycle. He was also fab in the Copa.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

Feilhaber was subbed in to push the offense, so that his pass completion percentage was bit lower than the team average is not too meaningful.

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The US currently has 6 healthy players who can lay a claim to a starting central mid spot. In terms of club circumstances Feilhaber is probably the worst situated of the 6.

If there is indeed a coaching change I'd wager Holden will be a starter. That is if Holden continues the standout play with Bolten he showed in the handful of Cup and club performances. Edu will be the defensive midfielder.

8. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    For some reason, last year's confed cup comes to mind, with the image of Feilhaber freezing Spain's entire back line with a couple of deft touches, followed by a perfectly-weighted ball into space inside the penalty area for Donovan. Goal USA.

9. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Yeah. I tend to "struggle" with "concepts" that don't even pass the laugh test (as would most who actually follow/play the sport).

Moronic on so many levels I'm not sure where to start.
    You might want to find a nice NFL forum to post to. Soccer clearly ain't your game.

10. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Donovan didn't score the goal, Dempsey did with Iker Casillas' poor handling of Donovan's shot.
    Feilhaber was also in there when Brazil hung 3 on us in the Confed final, so what exactly is your point?
    See what happens when Michael Bradley doesn't play, bad things happen.

11. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Gee. No kidding?

He was also in there in the FIRST half when the U.S. "hung" 2 on the #1 team in the world. 2-0 after 45 min. Not bad. Just imagine if coach's son had been in there instead of Feilhaber (who - as we all know - is only good as a 2nd half sub). We'd probably have been up 5-0.

Feilhaber gets pulled midway through the 2nd half. US ends up losing by a goal.

Uh, yeah. Mikey wasn't there to save us. I'm sure Brazil were SOOOOOOO relieved when they found out Michael Bradley wasn't playing.

12. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that was one of Feilhaber's best games for the US, coming in as a second half sub and playing left midfield. Excellent example. :D

13. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I'll take them both for their work rate, defensive abilities, and overall abilities for 90 minutes over Feilhaber too, but to characterize Feilhaber as someone who is not a possession player on the basis of pass completion % alone is misleading, if not outright wrong.

Put it in context:

Bradley played the entire tournament. Edu played the second half vs. Slovenia, the first 60 or so vs. Algeria, and the last 90 minutes vs. Ghana. Feilhaber played the second half of both Slovenia and Algeria and the last 75 minutes vs. Ghana. As a porportion of of a player's time on the field, we were more frequently in a bigger hole with less time when Feilhaber was on the field. Being down 1-0 with 20 left vs. with 60 left requires a more aggressive strategy. Possession is good and all, but you have to take your chances. The opposing defense is going to be more conservative, and more hopeful balls will need to be played.

The telling stat from Feilhaber's pass completion rate is long passes: 0 for 10. Playing balls into a bunkered box trailing toward the end, long passes to corners that recepients on tired legs can't get to in the 80th minute...that sort of thing. The same type of opportunities that someone is more likely to convert in the 20th minute of a match.

Short/Med Pass Completion:

Edu-79%
    Bradley-77%
    Feilhaber-75%

So Feilhaber is able to complete short/medium passes against a more defensive minded team, in more critical situations, at a rate comparable to either Edu or Bradley.

This doesn't even get into the issue of position on the field. Jay friggin DeMerit and Onyewu had better pass completion percentages (77% and 71%) than Donovan (61%), Dempsey (66%), or Cherundolo (70%). Yet the first two players aren't anywhere close to the latter three in terms of being able to hold the ball.

Like I said, I'd take either of them too over Feilhaber, but possession has nothing to do with it.

14. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Wow. Excellent logic. Let's apply it to everyone on the roster who ever made a good play during the second half of a game and cite that as evidence that they're best as a "2nd half player."

Hysterical.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to have amused you. At least you got something from this exchange of ideas.

16. brandonplaysguitar

brandonplaysguitar New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Minneapolis, USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was less about Benny at the wing than about Dempsey replacing whatever forward Bob started.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Feilhaber was playing a different position to Edu and Bradley. Apples and Oranges on the passing stats.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs. Feilhaber, allow me to point out that Benny's club career, which Bradley has nothing to do with, isn't of the same caliber as the grinders Bradley chooses. Adu's club career is shaping up to be a punchline. Torres, I'll grant you. But he started against Slovenia and didn't play well. Bob gave him a shot.

Here's my point...Bradley doesn't control these guys' club careers, and if you look at their club resumes, you would be FORCED to come to the conclusion that Bob's selections are pretty good. (I'm not mentioning Rico Clark, but then, you didn't either.)

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's a stat that DIRECTLY addresses the question of whether or not Benny is a superior possession player.

Your objection is relevant if the question is who is better in general, or who is a better attacker specifically.

20. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    also, only around 20% of Bradley's passes are short. The majority of them are either Medium/Long.

21. cassius10000

cassius10000 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    I don't mind him coming on in the sub role if that's what works but I hope he gets a few chances to start during this next cycle to see if he can put in a strong 90.

My only complaint in the past (and obviously this doesn't really apply to the World Cup) is that the guy on the USMNT who Benny seems to work with particularly well is Davies. I think these two on the field at the same time is one of the most dangerous propositions we have. Unfortunately, using Benny as a sub means they are often only on the pitch together for a few minutes.

22. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    A player's "club resume" should dictate his playing time for the national team (instead of crazy metrics like, uhhhhh...I don't know...performance in internationals for the national team)? Gee, that makes a lot of sense. Tell that to Germany's Low (see Klose and Podolski). Why does MLS-based Donovan play at all?

BTW, Mommie Bradley, your son was benched for a good part of the season last year at M'Gladbach. Yet, strangely, that didn't prevent him from starting and playing every minute of every game for the USMNT throughout 09 and 10.

23. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was it, 2 games? Maybe 3? Big percentage of that 36 game schedule they played.

24. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evidently the world cup was not enough to convince some that their nepotism take is completely insane.

25. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all are undermining the effectiveness of my Ignore list.