Houston vs RBNY-Carolina Challenge Cup video webcast (R)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by theramblingscot, Mar 25, 2006.

1. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    O'Rourke makes a hard challenge on DeRo, Danny is called for the foul. Surprisingly (for those of us that watched Danny last year), this is the first foul I remember being called on O'Rourke.

3. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Chabala on for Clark, 88th minute. 3-0 Houston.

4. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Interesting comment by the Charleston announcer. He said that he thought Serioux looked good tonight, but that he had not looked very good in the NY games when he played defensive midfield....but then he commented that the rest of the NY team didn't look that good either.

....as I type this, DeRo has a breakaway, but shoots just wide right.

It's over....3-0 Houston.

5. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dangit I kept buffering I was seeing 30 seconds clips with 10 sec delays because my dad is hogging the other half of our road runner on another computer. That last run by DeRo looked good although I didn't get to see all of it.

Now what happens? If DC wins do we still win the cup?

6. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, judging from tonight's performance you guys just look outright scary.

Serioux looked good
    Onstad was on his game
    Ricardo Clark controlled the midfield well
    And DeRosario was just....DeRosario

We're gonna have to really step it up if we're gonna keep pace with you guys in the Western Conference and make it back to the conference finals again. Anyways, best of luck this season.

7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, guys, that was as good a job as Match Tracker! Some day I'll be able to get high speed internet and then I can play with the big boys!:D

8. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Based on what the announcer was saying, it goes on either goals scored or goal differential. He kept saying that DC United would have to score a lot of goals to win the tournament. Both DC and Houston had scored one goal going into tonight, and given up no goals. So, it seems that if DCU scores 4 or more goals (or wins by 4 or more goals, not clear what the exact criteria is), then they would win the cup. Otherwise, Houston would win the tiebreaker.

9. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Battery hold them to 2 goals or less!!! :)

10. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Particularly in the second half, I thought Houston played well. Good defense (although they did give up some good scoring chances), great midfield play (I particularly thought DeRo, Clark and Mullan looked good....Barret, and Storey and Holden in their late substitutions, didn't do as much), and decent offense from Ching. Moreno had some nice passing, but most of the offense was created by the midfield. Ching had a nice header finish on the first goal, and was involved in some of the other plays, but didn't dominate like you might expect him to. He's been in USMNT training camp since early Jan, he should be further ahead of everyone and playing better. Serioux looked good in central defense, and the other defenders worked well together. Hard to tell based on just one game, but if he continues to improve as he gets to know his new teammates, Serioux could be a big addition. The combination of him and Eddie Robinson in the center could be pretty intimidating to opposing teams. Onstad made some nice plays, there was one really nice save off the Djorkaeff free kick, otherwise he wasn't really that tested.

The other good sign is that it looks like the team is developing some depth -- when Davis and Robinson get back, there are a lot of options at defender and also in the midfield. Not much depth at forward, that's still the weakness of the team in my opinion. Maybe Ching will regain his form and start dominating.

11. mjsUnited903

mjsUnited903 New Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda,MD
    Great win you guys. You really played great tonight. I wish you best of luck on your first season. We will see you guys again in just a couple of weeks and it should be a great game.

12. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the play by play sportsfan. Wasn't able to catch the game because I was at a local tourney spreading the word about the supporter's group. I feel like I actually watched just by reading your posts.

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    it's a good day whenever Metros get humiliated :D

Now if we win coffee cup tonight I'm set

14. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    No problem, makes it more entertaining for me because I have to pay more attention to figure out what to post to describe the game! It was nice to actually be able to see the team for the first time this year. They are further along than I think San Jose was last year at this stage, but that's largely because San Jose had to replace so many starters. This may be reaching, but the Serioux trade may be analagous to the Califf trade last year. Only Califf was not able to play until 2 months or so into the season. But he brought a toughness to the defense that really helped it to gel. Maybe Serioux is going to be the guy to replace Califf. He has a way to go in order to be that kind of defensive player, as Califf was a very smart player, he kept the other defenders calm and organized. Not sure if Serioux (or anyone else on the defensive line) is that kind of player, but maybe he will.

But in the midfield, yeah, the team lost Mark Chung. But remember, they didn't have Chung at the beginning of the year. They just had Mullan and Davis as wings, with Ian Russell and Wes Hart as backups. I think with Storey, Wondolowski, Holden and the ability to move Barrett to left wing, this year's team actually has more depth at wing than last year's team at this stage. And if one or more of these young guys (Storey, Wondolowski, Holden) continues to develop, it could be a better midfield than last year. Ianni as backup to Clark would seem to be as good as O'Rourke. The biggest gap is who fills in for DeRosario. But Holden has played that position some in preseason, so maybe he is the guy. Regardless, I like the options this team has on defense and midfield right now, even if there are some injuries. And with Cerritos, Moreno and Ching at forward, there are 3 experienced and reasonably talented forwards. None of them are the kind of guy to take over a game and create for himself, but they combine well with the midfield.

15. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    This is quite late but here were the Metro starters:

Meola
    Wynne--Parke--Grahme
    jazic--stammler
    o rourke
    gaven--magee
    youri--martins

Not sure on the exact placement of the players but my guess is that the Metros were running a 3-5-2 (as that is the offense Mo ran all of last year once he became the head coach and I think the formation he has been using this preseason as well).

That said, Jazic may have been the RB (I think he can play D in addition to D-Mid).

16. SokkerNut

SokkerNut Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's 1-1 in the second half===:eek:

17. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won our first cup under the Dynamo name!

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    It's over, DCU ties Charleston so Houston wins the Challenge Cup.

But, you have to give credit to DCU, if they hadn't agreed to let Houston get back to full strength in the second half of the game when they played each other, it's highly likely DCU would have won that game, and would have won the Cup. I don't really care that much about winning the Cup, I think it's just a good measure of where the team is right now. And I think that the Houston team is in a good place, ready to start the season.

19. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be good for the newspapers and now gloryhunters in Houston will start supporting the team for a little while.

20. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    That's a good point, it doesn't hurt to get some good PR about how well the team is playing going into the home opener. I'm hoping that you guys get a really big crowd out for the game next Sunday. I'm also hoping it will be on mlsnet video, so I can watch it from California!

21. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Cool. I was very pleased to see Dom and the gang take it to "Red Bull". I don't like Red Bull (the company) and Lalas bailed midseason on San Jose to start his "superclub" in New York. So superclub that 'Lexi. :)

Last year when the Quakes won this tournament we thought they were just kind of having a lucky preseason. There were so many new players and a lot of uncertainty. By this year I think it's clear that they won the tournament because they're pretty good.

22. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.houstonsoccer.net/

One of the matchnight reporters made it down and did a story for us. I am supposed to be getting some pictures soon.

23. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Arvizu do anything in this game? I saw he came on in the 77th, but have heard nothing regarding his play. I guess there's probably a reason for that.

24. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man I figured we might get an article on the second page of the Sports section in the Chronicle but... nope. We have to settle for bottom left corner space on page 5 or 6. Kind of sad I thought it would be good for non-soccer fans to see this club win a cup no matter how minor it truly is.

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States