Post-match: Houston @ DCU, ECF Leg 2 11/18/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by NattyBo, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Ah yes, the old familiar role of "lesser of two evils"

2. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, it's a little better than the "wanting a meteor to hit the stadium at kickoff" bit.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    No, the Galaxy represents something close to evil. Houston you are just San Jose relocated.

4. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw that. That's why I voted for the greatest evil in this last election. Why settle?

[​IMG]

Darth Norteño repped this.
  5. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    This is fair enough. I doubt we will ever fully escape that label so I may as well embrace it. It occurred to me today that the Houston Dynamo have existed longer (2006-2012 seasons) than the San Jose Earthquakes we replaced (2000-2005 seasons). I'm curious, though, since you see Houston as San Jose relocated, do you think of this group as a team that has won four championships like United?

6. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You speak madness.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and I believe that he believes that the San Jose Clash came from the USL since he's posted a 2000-2005 date.

8. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Root for a meteor strike on HDC -- ******** them both. DCU isn't in the final it's dead to me.

JayRockers! repped this.
  9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roger that. I don't think I've watched an MLS Cup final (on purpose, not flipping channels between commercials on Homes on HOlmes or something) that our team wasn't in for 12 years.

With the recent developments in MLS, no reason to start now.

10. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deep down, I do.

JayRockers! repped this.
  11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just wanted to say congratulations on a very nice season. You guys have class on and off the field, from the players to your manager to you guys, the supporters.

You probably deserved a better fate than what was dealt, but I see nothing but big things for D.C. in the future. Lots of talent, a good up-and-coming coach, and support. I really hope you guys get the stadium you deserve.

Anyway, well played and see you guys next year.

BBBulldog, Liam O'Malley, Heist and 6 others repped this.
  12. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Finally, someone with a sense of reason! THIS!

13. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    EXACTLY!

14. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I can respect your desire to maintain a positive attitude, but I am more sensible than screaming fans that bitch and bitch. If nothing else I am consistent. I don't complain one day and praise the next willy nilly. I don't bitch without cause and provide more than a half-hearted attempt to analyze both short comings and the strengths of the team. That's not to say people can't disagree with my perspective (I hope they do) but if we were only sour grapes when things were bad and happy sunshine when things were great, the forums would be fairly useless.

If you associate me with the mindless trolls on these forums then well, not much I can say to you. I'd apologize but quite honestly I don't feel compelled or the need.

We ended a season that takes the sour taste of previous season's out of everyone's mouth, but that doesn't mean there isn't work to do to get back to where we were and further. You can say with one voice that DC excelled beyond expectations, played with heart and courage and honored the fans who supported them and then in another voice discuss the shortcomings, many of which we've talked out to death, and how to remedy them. I've noted Olsen's success (and wish him more, trust me, as results matter and these results indicate he is the coach for some time) and tempered it with the truthful statement that in the final stretch, we could have totally screwed the pooch. It was the players on this team that found a way to win and perhaps he had a very strong influence on that. I give him credit. Well, the season is over, and deadlines are already arriving to change the team and to grow.

What I said was crass, but holds firm, that after 2 years, a team becomes the coaches and this offseason is critical to bringing forward his vision and to turn away the things that didn't work. If you would like to make an argument for keeping a guy like Pajoy around then be my guest. We can start a discussion right here :p

15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  16. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Untroubled by Reason

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'know, if you'd have told me before the season - hell, in the middle of the season - that DCU would end up third in the Supporters Shield race, I'd have thought you were high.

18. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boloni, excellent post.

It reminded me how I felt at the end of last season and the beginning of this one about the defense. I thought they had to get someone in to 'coach 'em up'. They were terrible, frankly, and had no tactical sense. Without my noticing, they figured it out. I don't if it was the coaching or players or a combination, but it happened. Huge improvement and a huge reason they finished as well as they did.

Now if they start next season with that in the bag, pull out that extra DM and play the 'United' way, the cycle will be complete.

19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Boloni reps this

20. Shammypantaloons

Apr 20, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
  21. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's some stuff I took. I apologize in advance for them being DynamoCentric - but what would you expect from a Dynamo supporter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Warning - They Feature Mostly Dynamo Shots​

22. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    this one is my favorite, cos that's one of purposes - to help psych out whole stadium before the game :)

24. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Awesome video. I was on the quiet side for this match, but was actually impressed with the energy on that side as well. I did get a few sideways looks for screaming, but what are you gonna do? However, to the guys behind me chanting "Messi!" and "Xavi!", screw you.

sitruc and BBBulldog repped this.
  25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    maybe he has tourette :D