Pre-match: Houston @ DC - ECF Leg 2 - 11/18/12

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by greatscott, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Patience is the key. They need to start the 1st half with smart, steady and simple soccer. The key is not to get scored on. If we can steal a goal by halftime great, but 0-0 is not a bad score.

It's inevitable that tension will build on the Houston side the closer they get to the finish line. If we're still down by the 2nd half we will play more freely and with less pressure the closer we get to the end because we'll have nothing to lose. That's when we have to take advantage and create a clear momentum swing and start pinning then back . If we tie the series in the 2nd half, with our crowd we instantly become favorites

EDIT : This is why I think it would be foolish to start De Ro. If he's healthy to play a little, he could be part of that 2nd half emotional lift that puts us over the top.

2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So there's a game today? :coffee:

3. publicstranger

Nov 18, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heard from a source that D.C United will line up in a 4-4-2 with Pajoy and Salihi uptop. Pontius not starting, DeRo is a possibility. You heard it here first.

4. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Regarding patience, it's all well and good unless Houston scores first. Then throw the patience game out the window. We're as good as dead.
    So, I see this as two mini 45 minute games, and we need to win each by a goal. So DeRo in the first half with Pajoy and Salahi up top makes sense, as long as we can roll with that I like it. Keep Bosko on the bench and hope DeRo can go 60 minutes. Then bring him in and we're still a solid team that can be lethal on set pieces. We can win the second mini game with Bosko and without DeRo. Then in OT anything goes. Hope they worked on PKs.

5. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    BTW I call McDonald with a set piece goal, Deleon with pure balls to the wall goal, and Salahi with the slop winner.

6. Liam O'Malley

Liam O'Malley Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On my way to Lot 8! LET'S DO THIS!

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I strongly disagree. I would not start any player that isn't fit enough for at least 75 minutes. I would hope we would of learned that lesson from the last game. In a potential 120 minute game I don't think it's wise risking already having to make a sub by halftime. Not only that, but the sub would be an attacker for an attacker which wouldn't do much to change the team at a time when presumably you'd like your first sub to make your team more attack minded.

The reason you keep De Ro on the bench is because it gives you an option of opening the team up by subbing De Ro for Russell or Neal. The season is on the line and I think it would be smart to manage this in a way where you can have all your best players on the field late in the 2nd half. De Ro for Branko or vice versa would be a lateral move at best.

If we can draw level, then I can see pulling Branko in extra time for a fresh legs and a little more defensive balance.

8. split3clemente

Oct 11, 2005
    DC, Split
    From DCU facebook:
    D.C. United Starting XI: Hamid; Russell, Jakovic, Dudar, Korb; Boskovic, Saragosa (c), Kitchen, DeLeon; Santos, Pajoy

Available subs: Willis, McDonald, Woolard, Augusto, De Rosario, King, Salihi

Game is listed to start at 4 so I'm assuming it will actually kick off around 4:20-4:25. Am I wrong?

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Yep. kickoff will be 4:20

split3clemente repped this.
  10. split3clemente

Oct 11, 2005
    DC, Split
    Thank you, boloni.

11. champmanager

champmanager Member

Dec 13, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Kazakhstan
    I was hoping to get to the stadium, but I didn't, but why don't the rest of y'all just step on inside and have a nice cup of BEAT THE F_** OUT OF THEM!!!