Houston Dash

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Can't do that, NWSL uses Nike. Same reason that they couldn't call the Thorns "Timbers Women" and that DCU Women (independent of DCU but had name sharing rights) had to rebrand too.

I do like the sound of Houston Heart L.F.C., though. =-) At the same time, I like the sound of Houston Aces more....

redinthemorning repped this.
  2. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This entire episode is rather bizarre, starting with the timing of this "leak". Seriously, you pick the day of WC Playoffs Deciders and an MLS Expansion announcement to try to get some attention with a "We're looking into possibly having an NWSL Team"? Secondly, unless AEG had a massive change of heart in regards to Women's Soccer I find it hard to believe that they would suddenly be in favor of a Dynamo Women's Team when they dropped the LA Sol like a bad habit despite having Marta on the team. Using Portland as a template or at least as a source of information is all well and good, however that guarantees nothing when it comes to getting butts in seats or putting together a cohesive effort with the actual Team. We'll see where (if anywhere) this continues to go and I'd support it if it does happen but I see this more as a "let me throw this out there and see what kind of feedback I get" moment at this point.

3. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    Will halftime shows be performed by the Houston Dyna-men?

4. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I think it's either Mike Chabala's chippendales-style dance crew or this................:eek:

5. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I think women's professional would be great. It all comes down to money as I don't see attendance being very great - maybe 3-5K per game?

Wh kind of attendance have the Aces gotten?

You would have to figure in costs versus revenue of that kind of attendance and see if you can actually break even.

I probbaly would take my girlsto around 8-10 games per year.

6. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #31 troutseth, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    While I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment; why should AEG, Brunner, Golden Boy of the FO care about the fact it is a WC qualifying day? You think if I am the Yankees I care about timing my announcements to miss any announcement from the Tigers? Maybe the timing was on purpose, maybe it leaked a few days early - who knows but whatever the case it worked.

As to the viability of this actually happening; I don't know. I do know that the Portland template at least proved you can make some money on a Woman's team. Not because of the amount of fans but because the expense is negligible due to shared resources (an approach used in many businesses not related to sports). If You could put a franchise with minimal site costs and no additional back office staff plus have a target consumer list created from your parent MLS team; it is worthy of exploration.

I for one like the fact it is being polled to consumers in this case. At least if it moves forward there may be a realistic chance of success (success being relative).

*rey* repped this.
  7. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I would guess 4,000 people at the price in the survey would break even given the salaries in the Woman's league and assuming you would hire no new sales, accounting, marketing folks, etc.

On a personal level, I would take my daughter to games given the low price.

*rey* repped this.
  8. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe I'm the first one to post this but...

....odds Alex Morgan asks for a transfer to Houston if this happens?

9. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    50/50 . . . only because Portland would not want to give her up.

10. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it makes economic sense.

I think the average gate for a NSWL is somewhere around 2-3 thousand. Season tickets range from $400 to $100. So you'd get anywhere from $500k to $1million in sales. Subtract stadium operating costs, salaries for coaching staff, travel expenses. salaries for players. and other expenses and the team would probably wind up being subsidized by Dynamo revenue. Even if you assume that the Dynamo FO would handle the business side of things and the Womens Team would just consist of players and team staff I think it's a non profitable enterprise.

Do I like to see cute girls with pony tails running around - yes.

JC507, ChrizG13 and Levy2k6 repped this.
  11. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that true love would prevail in this instance !!!

I'm old school.

Levy2k6 repped this.
  12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Would like to see a Dynamo alum get a chance at the coaching job. There's a couple working their way up through the assistant coach gigs in college.

13. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    #38 troutseth, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    You guys know that our ownership is not going to do it at a loss. They do nothing at a loss if they can help it. So I think fear of Dynamo revenue subsidizing this venture is likely unfounded.

That being said, your team salary is under under 350k (top 23 US players and 28 canadian and Mexican players subsidized by federation Link). **** plus they are paid by month in season not yearly*** Frankly your technical staff isn't going to add much to that, maybe another 150 for three coaches. That puts you at 500K expense for all personnel assuming using same back office. The prices the email stated gets you around $770,000 in revenue at 4k fans. Given that stadium expenses will be low (if they only open smaller bowl and half concessions) and will be offset by any parking or concession sales, I am guess the 4,000 number is pretty damn close to break even. If you average 5k fans you make money.

This is why the Portland model is interesting. Other, non affiliated teams have to hire sales team, marketing team, accounting support, plus pay rent at a facility that is not "in the family" - and likely split what parking and concessions sales they see.

redinthemorning and *rey* repped this.
  14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I just don't know how liberal the league is with movign players . . . is it early or modern MLS (for example). :)

15. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Actually a great idea. Between youth, reserve (assistants), and woman's team Dom could create a coaching fiefdom.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I would expect a Dynamo women's team easily draws twice the NWSL average, probably 6k on the low end, simply because the team would have an established fan base to easily advertise to. I know Portland is an exception in the USA soccer culture, but that's why I'd expect 6-8k for a MLS-backed team and not the Thorns' 13k. The Washington Spirit, and independent team (that was definitely better-run than other independent NWSL teams), said before last season that they would draw even at 3k average attendance (which they easily achieved), so it's very believable to operate in the black even with relatively low attendance and without MLS backing. Probably because salaries for NWSL are insanely capped...

The_Ponce and redinthemorning repped this.
  17. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Tired of giving all my free ones to Canetti. Need to start charging. :D

Listen to troutseth. His numbers are close (as usual). Must be an accountant by trade.

Btw, I've always been fascinated by coaching trees. I'm told in US sports that college football has the most interesting ones.

troutseth repped this.
  18. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect nothing less than back to back championships first two seasons and maybe 3-4x champions like the comets did for us.

brahmafutbol, JC507 and ChrizG13 repped this.
  19. Penwyth

Penwyth Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Earth
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many Dynamo fans (read: families...esp with girls) decide to get tickets/season tickets with NWSL Houston team and reduce their Dynamo ticket purchasing footprint?

Does that percentage make the break-even math for the Dynamo franchising and owning a NWSL team a little bit more tricky?

For the record I'd keep my season tickets with Dynamo and purchase four season tickets for the NWSL team, but likely split the NWSL tickets with a few other families and we pick/choose games.

20. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, if those folks think that trying to get attention of the majority of Soccer Media on a day like yesterday is a good idea or don't care if they do then that's on them. However this bit of Dynamo News was hardly the "Yankees" compared to yesterdays other Soccer news being the "Tigers" or more appropriately "Lions", as evident by the purple references on display virtually everywhere. Talking to folks last night, there appears to be some difference of opinion on when this "leak" initially happened compared to when it made its appearance in the Media but that's another story.

I agree with you on this, the shared resources make this attractive especially as you look for additional usage for BBVA Stadium and worthwhile of checking into. That being said, even if you do replicate a facsimile of the Timbers template you still are talking a different customer base and willingness to attend Games on the Men, Women and Reserve level so who knows how this may play out here. Who knows, maybe this exchange will lead to an episode of "The Wood" with Fern Gully explaining the origins of the "Rivalry" on the Timbers page sometime soon?

I'm all for this approach of gauging if there is enough interest to make this worthwhile and then deciding if there is a sensible way to get it done. At the same time though I'm just a bit concerned that someone saw what was happening in Portland this year and thinks they can easily replicate something like that here, relatively speaking.

troutseth repped this.
  21. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    And I agree, who knows when the leak was supposed to happen or how it was supposed to go down. Regardless, I am not sure it matters.

LOL. Yeah, the question will be whether interest is there without bastardizing your existing ticket base. I think the economics are pretty straightforward though; if you can get to "X" average you break even--and that number isn't very high.

Offebacher, I don't think anyone in our FO nor in our ownership thinks we can replicate the success in terms of turnout in Portland. But you CAN replicate their model and make it a cash flow positive venture. They don't need 14k to make money here; although damn that would be a lot of cash if they did average 14k considering the salary outlay.

Offebacher repped this.
  22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    You raise a good point and I am sure it is a concern. However, I think with the price point being soooooo low it is more likely to be an add on product for season ticket holders than an either/or proposition. As much as I support the Woman's league, there is no comparison in terms of big league atmosphere between the two and I doubt you end up with "converts" in terms of ticket sales.

redinthemorning and JC507 repped this.
  23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Not an accountant. But I may dabble in the financial side of things on occasion.

DNez2001 repped this.
  24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From their Facebook page:

If the Dynamo do this, I really hope they include them in it somehow.

*rey* and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  25. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two words for you here:

Craig & Waibel