Houston 1836 has REALLY grown on me...

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Brian in Boston, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Hey guys... thought you might appreciate the thoughts of an opposing club's supporter.

I just wanted to let you know that the Houston 1836 identity package has really grown on me over the past couple of days. Though I'm chagrined as a New England Revolution fan to have to admit this, I'm really of the opinion that your club posseses the best overall identity package in Major League Soccer.

I honestly believe that Houston 1836 has the best logo/badge of any team in the league, as well as no worse than the third-best team name. I'd rank both categories as follows:

TEAM LOGO/BADGE
    1) Houston 1836
    2) Real Salt Lake
    3) FC Dallas
    4) Chicago Fire
    5) New England Revolution
    6) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
    7) DC United
    8) MetroStars
    9) Colorado Rapids
    10) Columbus Crew
    11) Kansas City Wizards
    12) Los Angeles Galaxy

TEAM NAME
    1) Chicago Fire
    2) New England Revolution
    3) Houston 1836
    4) FC Dallas
    5) DC United
    6) Colorado Rapids
    7) MetroStars
    8) Club Deportivo Chivas USA
    9) Kansas City Wizards
    10) Los Angeles Galaxy
    11) Columbus Crew
    12) Real Salt Lake

Again, just one fan's personal opinion. Here's hoping that your kits live up to the name and logo/badge.

Congrats on the kick-ass identity... and welcome to MLS!

P.S. All pleasantries aside, I still bleed Revolution Red, White and Blue... and I'll still be rooting for New England to best Houston each and every time we take to the pitch. After all, when it came to declaring independence and fighting for freedom we New Englanders were "kickin' ass and takin' names" a good 60 years before anybody from the Bayou City decided to tell old Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to get bent! ;)

Speaking of our regions' shared revolutionary backgrounds, perhaps a conference-spanning competition is in order. Might I suggest the Rebellion Cup?

2. N8VTXN

N8VTXN New Member

Jan 25, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Great name. It would have to be the Rebellion (sweet sounding) or Defiance Cup.

Would be great to get a derby going with the revolution.

3. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    I've raised the very subject with my fellow supporters on the Revolution boards. Let us see what transpires, ladies and gentleman of Texas.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You Northern boys do understand what it means to us U.S. supporters down here in Texas when the U.S. plays el Tri??? I don't think you can appreciate the depth of that rivalry down here. It is nothing new like many parts of the nation.

We grow up with them. We grow up on the same teams all of our lives. Beating Mexico means so much to me and my buddies.

Santa Anna hung a flag outside the Alamo that read "Death to the Traitors".

We could make a flag of that for our Rebel Cup or our favorite down South is the "Come and Take it Flag" Either would be a cool swap in any points race as we will play twice from here on out. Sounds great to me. I will take it to my people.

With the Old Celtics and Rockets doing battle when I was a kid it is easy to loathe a Boston team yet at the same time respect them for how they play and how their people follow their colors.

5. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I put my money on the 1836 gradually becoming just an ignored appendege. Like my John Thomas.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a man had a club like Forrest Oaks Frogs to be proud of I would put my money on a plane ticket to a new city. :)

7. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting piece by John Lopez of the Houston Chronicle. Listen to his opinion on Real Audio. At the end of the piece, Lopez mentions that Oliver Luck mentioned that the club would come up with a "nickname" for the club. Not to necessarily assume Houston 1836 would use "sixers" or "36ers", but that there may be another nickname for the club, something like "Apollos, Patriots or something".

Listen to John Lopez here . .
    http://www.chron.com/content/news/mm/06/01/25/lopez.ram

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It won't be anything official, like Hoops for FC Dallas.

9. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Right, I agree. Per the reporter, it would be something like "Houston 1836" but they call themsleves the Apollos or Patriots or something like that" so as to have a name fans and reporters could headline with. I wouldn't be surprised though to see the city embrace 36ers right off.

10. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But has it grown on the Hispanic Media.

Just finished watching Contacto Deportivo its a real popular Half our Sports show on Telefutura(Sister station of Univsion dont know if its available in houston) The last Segment of the show talked about the name and the meaning how its the year the city was founded. But they also noted that its the year That the Whole Mexico/Texas Problems started, they took the opinion of Mexicans, the one MLS is so deperalty trying to pander too. and they felt it divided the City and that Mexicans Wont SUpport the team because of the old wonds. Anywho the Hispanic Media Had a Biased that the team should change the name because Mexicans in particular wont support the team. at the end of the Segment one of the anchor men said in his honest opinionthe name should be changed because it will divide the mexican community who will feel like they arent welcome. and the end of the week they are going to have a consensus and see what the public ie Mexicans think. I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly. Good Luck Guys. But hey Publicity is publicity at least the team name has gotten press coverage longer than thirty seconds. They got a whole Segment.:eek:

11. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    Oh geez......From now on...I'm going to just say ....Santa Anna lost, took 18 seconds to defeat him in his last battle. Get over it.

FYI When Santa Anna lost, he signed the dotted line allowing Texan's independence in exchanged for his life. What a "heroic" leader. LOL, I've read texts stating in one that Sam Houston and Santa Anna were either "high" on opium or just drunk. LOL

12. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18 seconds 18 minutes who cares, Spanish media tends to blow things out of proportion sometimes. Like i Said it got a whole segment on the Show so its better than nothing hopefully it will blow over because some of the people they interviewed were hispanic sport journalists in the area and they seemed to make a big deal about it. I like what the Council member told the spanish media in spanish. He stated," we can make this about the team or you can make it political issue your call."

13. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    The Revolution could learn from the people in Houston... REMEMBER YOUR HISTORY.

14. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Brian, good stuff. I believe there will be a lot of non-soccer fans in Houston wearing the team stuff just because of the logo and colors. You are going to see a lot of inner city kids in Houston wearing these jerseys that aren't even soccer fans.

15. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm tellin ya...Don't go down the road of the 1836 or the 36'ers....make sure that the abbrev. name is Houston 36

Trust me

16. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone take a deep breath... it will all be ok...

bford

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are two great points that we need to keep in mind.

First, the Spanish media often like to emphasize polemica - they look for ways to spin something into a controversy because, well, you know, that's just more interesting. See the Rumbo article that I posted in this forum for an example. I also recall that when Club America was considering investing in Houston, Rumbo ran a series of articles all trying to make a big deal out of the fact that Javier Perez Teuffer wasn't officially an employee of America or Televisa. Nevermind that he was their legally empowered agent and everyone in the city with whom he was negotiating was aware that he was authorized by America and Televisa. Rumbo just wanted to spin the story to sound like he was trying to pull a fast one. It was silly. But it made for good reading.

Second, at this point, all publicity is good publicity. There are more people in Houston right now - even people who aren't soccer or sports fans - who now know that there's an MLS team in Houston. The more they talk about it, the better. Anyone who cares will learn about what 1836 means. There's no way that the name announcement would've have gotten this much free air time if they had called themselves the Houston [plural mascots].

18. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

ok...ok...i'm fine.....

[​IMG]

no.....really...I'm...fine...it's the season...and BigSoccer...

19. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

[Garber]After much study of the Houston fan base, studying the diversity of this community...and...reviewing the need to attract that hardcore base of futbol fans...I present to you:

The Houston Vatos Locos!

[​IMG]

Chuco....your mascot will present the new colors...Go Chuco! Go Loco! Go Ganzztah! [/Garber]

20. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And let's not forget that Mexicans are not the only hispanic culture in Houston. I imagine that their rivals like El Salvador will get a kick out of their unhappiness and support the team all the more.

21. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston

This is so true. Your right on the money! Or should I say, the marketing department should *hint*hint* that to upper management about puting HOUSTON across the chest of the jersey. Why? Look at all the Houston rappers coming up wearing Houston sports gear. They wear it because of their pride in the city which they live in. If they wear it, like you said, the music/Houston fans will wear it as well. = more exposure= more $$$$$

Putting HOUSTON on the chest would be a great idea.

22. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you suppose Brits don't like the New England Revolution because their name references the American Revolution where we gained our independence from England? Or do you suppose they've gotten over that by now?

If Mexican-Americans were going to be offended by Texas' independence...then why would they live in Texas to begin with?

I think it's gonna be alright. And yes...there's no such thing as bad press. I'm thrilled by the level of exposure this is getting. Love it or hate it...people know about it and are talking about it.

23. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you wonder if there would have been less uproar if we had gone along with the Redskins like the NFL team.

That name is a bad slang term against native Americans, but it is still used.

Our name doesn't even mention the actual events of the year... craziness indeed.

bford

24. FuBoy

FuBoy Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heheh. I fully subscribe to this theory. I'll keep posting about Texas history and arguing about how great a name is as long as people and the media want to keep talking about it - because it just means we sold another dozen season tickets!

25. TxFan

TxFan Member

Sep 6, 2001
    I really like the name.

Unfortunately, many houston bloggers have been ripping the name on the 'net:
    http://www.houstonist.com/

closed minded non-soccer fans...