Hope Solo Book Club: "SOLO: A Memoir of Hope"

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by BostonRed, Aug 14, 2012.

1. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There's two things that don't make sense about this:

1) If Maks didn't slap her, then why is his manager simply saying "No comment" while he's denying it and why is ABC "not commenting"?

2) After this person allegedly assaults a woman, they offer to replace him instead of fire him? Would ABC really put themselves in a position of a lawsuit?

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Strange -- I wonder why they're mentioned in the 2002 guide and not the Charge program or the 2003 guide.

My guess would be that the truth lies in the middle. I don't think Ambrose and Royal are lying in the biographies. But maybe they weren't there a lot. The 2002 guide specifically says "Volunteer," after all.

But the person is this thread (not Solo) who said the league had no GK coaches ... yeah, that's way off.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Why isn't Kristine Lilly rushing out to deny everything? Or Scurry? Or anyone else Solo has accused?

Maybe they're in the wrong. Or maybe it's just not worth it.

You can see from the original story how the network and Maks are handling it. Maks wrote a cryptic Tweet not directly tied to her. Then "a source" says Solo's a compulsive liar.

We don't know whether that's true. But we can't take their relative silence as a tacit admission of guilt. A lot of people see a direct "he said / she said" public battle as a game that can't be won.

As Kirstie Alley said, "I shall bite thine tongue, lest I get into a girl fight that I would surely lose without a hammer in my hand...;)... ouch! bloody tongue"

4. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom

We do know that Maks was inappropriately physical with her, it was shown on the show. It is not a matter of is it possible he crossed a line, it is only a matter of how far.

Of course Kirstie wasn't there during that season, so she has nothing but her loving opinion of Maks to go on, i.e. no more information then the rest of us.

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You mean the whole "Attention Whore" thing. Yeah, I get it.

6. upprv

upprv Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Listen, I am nowhere near an insider. But I have friends that are and from what they have heard
    1) It wasn't Ryan on an island making the decision to pull her. There were many voices asking for Scurry to be put in the lineup for Brazil. Ryan could come out and say that but he is taking the heat because he, like MOST TEAM ORIENTED PEOPLE keep quiet about team life.

2) The current National Team, who just won the gold, cannot stand Hope. She is divisive, fake, selfish and unpredictable. I have heard several stories from London, but essentially they "manage" her.

3) Every time she opens her mouth she pisses someone off. In one of the NBC interviews she says how this national team is the most like a "team" than any she had ever been on. Hey way to give the bird to every teammate you have ever played with.(And my own two cents she sounds like one of those people that try and come off as deep and pensive and instead sound hollow and fake.)

4) The coaches are not completely enamored with her play. She loses focus, and is so emotionally fragile they are actively looking for her replacement. Technically, she doesn't move her feet and uses her athletic ability to lunge and dive for shots that if she slid her feet would be simple catches. Even the last save vs Japan was HEAD HIGH two steps to her left. Yes great reaction save but not like Timmy getting Chicharito's after being wrong-footed. The first goal from France was exceptionally poor goal keeping. It was 3 yards inside the post, shoulder height. If it is anything other than an athletic, reaction save she is not in fact the world's best goalkeeper. Combine that with her other baggage and the coaches are looking elsewhere.

Again, this is all hear say so my friends could be crazy or making it up but everything they have related lines up with each other and passes the smell test. But again, who knows, so take it for what it's worth, which is not a lot.

NilamCA repped this.
  7. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Hmm wrong footed reaction save? Like the save in the send off game vs Canada where Sinclair's shot took a deflection and she had to dive back the opposite direction? The shot during the Final vs Japan was 1 v 1 from 8-10 yards. She can't just slide over and expose the goal on her right side. The give away happened at the top of the 18yard box.

ForeverLOST108 repped this.
  8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. Thanks for humoring my poor reading comprehension. And you're right. If a woman has allowed a boss and a co-worker to put hands on them and writing about it in a book later is the only steps they've taken (no report to bosses boss. no coworker getting fired, etc) that is a problem. And not a positive example for girls or women.

I think the tweet sent out on Aug 14 by Mia Hamm sums up how the retired players (many of them at any rate) feel. They've got their eyes on a different prize and a different hierarchy of needs/wants.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    upprv, I don't doubt you.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know if I'm Johny-come-lately again on another post but:
    http://tv.yahoo.com/news/maksim-chmerkovskiy-denies-slapping-hope-solo-during-dancing-123000074.html

11. NilamCA

NilamCA Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither do I upperv. Airing dirty laundry by writing a bio and then hitting the promotion train hard while steamrolling everyone past,present and future. It all equals bad karma. Stepping off the soapbox now:thumbsup:

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep.

Nice try to attempt to paint me as being a defender of Scurry. I'm not duplicitous.

13. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I wasn't trying to paint you as anything. I was asking a question in response to your post. Even so there have been many people in this thread with the same comment and I can't spam the thread responding to each of them with the same question. Usually each of the people will answer on their own to my comment.

Glad you see it as an attack on Scurry and you are even handed in your evaluation. I see neither of them as an attack myself. I think an attack can be read into them if desired. I believe both of the players commenting were focusing on their belief in themselves and not on their teammates. Personally I don't hold it against either of them.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Do you think this is a counter to the post you quoted?

15. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Yes I do. I don't agree with his analysis. He said her reaction saves aren't good like Howard's save on Chicharito, yet she made a similar and longer reach save. He also said she should have had better footwork on the save on the last save vs Japan. I don't see how else she should have positioned herself on that one to not have needed a reaction save. What position should she have put herself in to cut off what angle or line?

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yet, she still continued to partner with him?! o_O:confused: If they were married, this would be considered domestic violence...

And for the record, I'm not saying that she is lying. Maks has a nasty attitude and volatile temperament, which he can't control at times. I'm still perplexed why a woman, who presents herself as strong-willed and in control, would put up with this crap. Money ain't that important..

17. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Really? the guy got fired pretty much immediately - and the minute he made the switch, either the US would win or he was gone . . . he was going to get hired by a strong college program regardless after he was done with the nats, his success at Colorado College & Wisconsin ensured that. Solo simply made her own life (and the WNT's) harder.

You can watch Osbourne's own goal below - fwiw, I think it's kind of crazy to dump that on Scurry or on the GK change. It was the kind of thing that happens in big games . . . Scurry certainly had it covered. Once Boxx was (wrongly) ejected, it wouldn't have mattered who Ryan had on the field that day, which made Solo's comments even more galling. Brad Friedel wouldn't have been able to save them either. Regardless, it was a bizarre enough move that when the US lost, Ryan was toast.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I believe you misread the poster's comment.
    She's probably the best and most athletic goalkeeper in the world. There are other goalkeepers who are technically better than her though. She has tools that allow her more advantages than most.

19. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Thanks for linking it. This now makes a thousand... and one.... times I've watched it. The keeper HAS to have command of his/her box in that situation. As that ball is coming in, if the keeper has a play on it, he/she needs to be screaming at the top of his/her lungs for the defender to get out of the way. You can see Scurry's lips moving, but she obviously wasn't assertive enough or loud enough for the defender to hear her. You would have to think that the keeper who has been playing the entire rest of the tourney would most likely have a better rapport with her back line, and that own goal probably wouldn't have happened.

20. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    well, if you don't count the two schools he lead to the NCAA championship match, and the improvement Michigan has shown under him . . . and the fact he lost 1 game as national team coach - really, that was his only loss. I think he has some serious shortcomings as a human being (not related to Solo - Ryan was the guy who took her into the pool in the first place!), but come on . . .

21. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Scurry had plenty of experience with those backs (and Osbourne, who was playing as a midfielder iirc) . . . she'd been playing with them for years (and they with her). Sometimes, people screw up - especially under pressure. I don't know how you can say Osbourne doesn't do that with Hope in the goal - to me it looks like she lost track of where she was in relation to the near post . . .

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I actually asked Leslie Osborne about that goal one time when she was in Chicago at a Beach Soccer tournament a few years back.

23. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy Tate was the official goalkeeper coach for the San Diego Spirit all 3 years. Here is a link to the announcement for the first year:

http://www.womensoccer.com/refs/wusa_refs/wusa-goal_2mar01.html

And here is part of the text of an email that I received from the Spirit on Feb 13th, 2003:

I think that Tate got the assistant tag because he had to coach some games after the Carlos Juarez got fired by Kevin Crow.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    But not that much in the previous few years. As the USWNT backup and a keeper without a club, she hadn't played a lot of meaningful games since 2004.

Which is why from a *playing* point of view, Ryan's move was highly risky at best, even if Scurry was saving everything in sight in practice. From a "playing plus team rules plus whatever" point of view ... well, it's still risky.

25. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I suppose you are correct. I was reading it in relation to the other sentence, "Even the last save vs Japan was HEAD HIGH two steps to her left." So I was trying to understand how her foot positioning on the Japan save was bad. So from rereading this, he seems to be only saying that she is lucky that so many saves she is called to make are pure reaction saves. Any other kind of saves she will do poorly on. And that the Japan save just happened to be a reaction save.