Hope for a new stadium for Chivas USA?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by carnifex2005, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when do the Chivas USA fans chime in?

2. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They have some?

3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We going to have two for drive- by ticket sales...:D

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Maybe I missed it (you didn't quote anyone you might have been responding to), but I fail to see the relevance.

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, yea, yea. Actually I was making fun of the baseball field in the Coliseum.

I too thought the drawings looked amateurish until I saw Rossetti did them.

6. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I think the main article in the original post states that USC soccer would use the stadium.

7. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Chivas won't be changing their identity unless they change owners. CUSA are owned by Jorge Vergara - the owner of Chivas Guadalajara. He named the team Chivas on purpose to tap into the Hispanic demographic in the U.S. Obviously that idea isn't panning out too well - but I doubt he would remain the team anyway. That kind of an initiative would have to come from the commissioner and the league.

Personally I think that a team trying to appeal specifically to the Hispanic crowd alienates the non-Hispanic crowd and thus the mainstream corporate American crowd. MLS needs to buy out Vergara, get a new owner for the team and move it to a new stadium location.

1 person likes this.
  8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh? Would you care to provide a single example of the commissioner and the league doing any such thing, in any team name change, ever?

1 person likes this.
  9. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, but I sitll think a team that tries to appeal specifically to th Hispanic crowd could work in certain markets. The real problem with the Chivas name is not only does it alienate non-Hispanics, but also many Hipanics who are fans of clubs that are rivals with Chivas. Basically, the Chivas name appeals only to a subset of the latin american fanbase, and that just does not seem like a path toward any sort of mass appeal.

10. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but I've always thought that 2 LA teams, one seen as the "Hispanic team" and the other as the "Anglo team" would make for a hell of a derby. But, as you say, Chivas splits the Mexican fan base, and does nothing for fans of other Latino nationalities.

1 person likes this.
  11. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can rebrand his team and not get rid of the Chivas part. Chivas USA makes no sense at all. IMO Chivas LA would at least make the name not laughable.

12. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C.D. Independiente Los Angeles

Get it? Independiente as in "No longer Chivas de Guad's little brother."

I had a talk with some folks at MLSHQ way back in March who've been pushing Vergara in that direction for years. Dude won't budge, unfortunately.

13. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm not sure how much good it would do, with Vergara still the owner. Now, if someone would want to create a new team to put in this new stadium, that might fly. I have little doubt that, if done right, LA could support three teams.

The flipside of that coin is that, with Beckham and Donovan, the Galaxy have all but overtly positioned themselves as the "Anglo" team, one that Latinos, particularly Mexicans, can easily hate.

14. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Public-Private financing?

LA has had a few really good Central American players on the team, namely Cienfuegos and Ruiz. So while Mexican's can easily hate them (though there are a lot of Mexican Galaxy fans), Central American's have a deeper connection to the Galaxy.

Since the Coliseum Commission is involved, it seems doubtful that the Galaxy will have any role in this. Too bad, because for a lot of LA fans, the perfect situation would be to have the Galaxy move into this new downtown stadium (and up the capacity to 27k) and then sell/rent the HDC to Chivas USA.

15. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And wouldn't it make more sense for Chivas to play at the Home Depot Center? Do you think the players stand out front before the game?

1 person likes this.
  16. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I never said it would happen - just that in order that it happen then it would have to come from outside ownership - i.e., the league front office. Which is very unlikely, I agree. So therefore they need to do is buy out Vergara. He is a roadblock to the MLS becoming an "American" sport.

17. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes but he also has a lot of political capital in MLS circles for having the cajones to pony up for an MLS franchise back in 2004 when no one else would. If that expansion round had failed, the league would have been on the brink. It's just like Kraft, who also has a lot of political capital because of sticking with the league through it's darkest days. Those two guys especially are holding back some MLS markets but there's not much that can be done about it when the league feels a degree of debt to them.

18. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Very interesting.

19. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Business is business though - and you have to be cold about it and demand a re-brand. Chivas USA is almost as bad as "Mexico Galaxy". I understand that they leveraged Vergara before to keep the league afloat but now they have to progress and get rid of him. He is a totally different situation then Kraft who MLS wants to retain.

What is the process of getting rid of Vergara? Can the owners just vote to force him to receive a payment for the value of Chivas USA and then assume ownership of the team or take the team out of MLS?

20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Al Davis just called and wanted me to let you know that that's a successful and embarrassing anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen.

1 person likes this.
  21. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know that whatever political capital Kraft and/or Vergara possess is enough to block anything that the rest of the BoG wants. Do they have more than one vote each? Can the owners of Seattle or Philly or Kansas City or Toronto or Portland or Vancouver or NYRB really be expected to vote against their own interests because of some gratitude or loyalty to Kraft and Vergara?

Somehow, I doubt it.

Why do they have to? What legitimate, compelling business reason do you have to stir up this legal hornets' nest? Remember, any assumptions that a rebrand would bring in significantly more revenue is nowhere close to a sure thing, and when you factor in the massive amounts of sponsorship money that CDUSA has brought in, it gets even harder to argue.

I think you're confusing your desires for the league's. MLS just doesn't have that much to gain.

What makes you think that the league has any more desire to "retain" Kraft than Vergara, even if they could just jettison one of them on a whim?

As El Jefe pointed out, no. Nor should they.

22. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Imagine how much money will be saved on salaries by paying under the table.

23. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Because at least Kraft wants to promote the game in the U.S American market and to corporate America. These are the mainstream Americans and they generally have higher personal income. If you take New England vs. Chivas they are doing about the same financially but the growth potential of NE is much higher than Chivas because it can appeal to Hispanic and non-Hispanic fans.

NE's problem is a marketing one - Chivas's is a brand and image one. They have no growth potential. If you have no growth potential then you need to be replaced.

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then, why hasn't he?

I think there will be quite a few Revs fans who will have covered their keyboards with Pepsi after reading that.

25. Der Stich

Der Stich Member+

May 3, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So there's convenient shopping? One man's blight is another man's bliss?