Homeland Season 2 - Showtime

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose it's not the kind of thing you'd want to send as an email attachment on hotmail but, as you say, you'd have thought the CIA would have SOME way of getting stuff out in emergencies.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Heck, you could even use a hotmail attachment if you just encrypted the file first. Of course, Saul Bond doesn't roll that way. :D

In fairness, there might be some value in getting the original data carrier out, if the aim is to link it to its original source. Though it's a bit of a stretch to assume that was the same card Brody himself used to record the video.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Technically, the problem would be the encryption key use, (transmission or whatever). You'd have thought the CIA would have some way to handle that but, tbh, the problem is rarely technical, it's usually 'human factors' that are the deciding issue.
    If the Hezbollah fella had a copy you'd think other people, (not the least Nazir, obviously), MUST have one.

Like I say, maybe they're keeping it to have a hold over the guy.

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brody had to send it somewhere in order for it to be played posthumously. So of all the goofy-ass plot contrivances we're being fed, that Carrie's contact's hubbie had it is little more than an amuse bouche.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Of course, you're assuming that a LOT of people haven't got a copy.

6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that crap just blew my mind and not in a good way. For a Congressman he has a ton of free time.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Also, is it just me or is he the most shit secret agent EVER!!! Can you imagine James Bond or Jason Bourne failing to complete their mission coz they had a flat tyre? What's he gonna come up with next.... I lost the secret nuclear codes Mr. Nazir coz the dog ate them :D

Nah, I'm just screwing around... but it is becoming a little tiresome, that's for sure.

8. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didnt have free time, he missed an event in which he was suppose to speak. It looked as if he scheduled a meeting with a union in place of rescuing that guy as a cover.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The event was in the evening, he was hanging out at home when he got the call about the tailor. He made up the story about the union meeting so he could go get the tailor. Other than that it was as if he had nothing to do that day, which seems to be common for him.

10. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't know . . . .

Pros:
    --They addressed the giant pachyderm: Saul told Estes. Surveillance happens. Brody arrested. That's progress.

--I actually liked the daughter story. And literally as I just typed that I realized (D'oh!) the Brody meltdown / VP nomination is going to cause those kids to go rogue or act out in a crazy way. I was actually just enjoying the characters of the daughter and VP son. Plus, I'm kinda looking forward to someone yelling "Xander's got a gun!"

--Carrie's crazy-ass smile as they beat down Brody. A bit overly pandering to the Danes crush crowd (guilty), but still pretty good.

--Brody's crazy-ass 'maybe I will kill you' smile. Right back atch'a Claire.

--Mike being suspicious of Brody. That could be promising.

Cons:
    --Mike. Seriously -- I know Morena Baccarin is smokin', but how does this guy not cash his chips in and move on? For all he knows, she's the wife of a Veep nominee, with two kids -- it's OVER. So his hanging around makes little sense.

--Carrie doing whatever the hell she wants. Of course, she's been right at almost every single step. But still -- just unilaterally ending this whole operation which started only hours prior based on a hunch. All kinds of irritating, if only from a purely logistical standpoint ("awwww christ ...we just set up all these cameras!")

--Not only do they allow discredited crazy lady (no matter that she was right; discredited and crazy are still totally true assessments) back into the top secret operation; but also her two knuckledhead buddies, a guy who used to be with the CIA and his brother. Right.

--Carrie's crazy-ass smile as they beat down Brody. OK -- that was pretty panderrific.

11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe I've missed something but, how do they know he was wearing a bomb and planned to kill all the people in the room when Walker shot that woman? I mean, it's a reasonable supposition but, still.

12. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering the same thing. The video said nothing of an action. Sure, you can make assumptions about it being a suicide bomber video but how did they know it was an attack on the VP and that it was by him wearing a vest?

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He referenced the VP and the joint chiefs in the video. Pretty clear from the other facts that he intended to do something in the bunker room.

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    In a show that is literally full of (somewhat) unrealistic plot developments, a guy having trouble getting over Morena Baccarin is one of the few things that makes absolute sense. ;)

Alberto repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, but how did they know it was that?

16. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The vest, per se? That might've been a guess, but here aren't a ton of options for a dude to kill a bunch of people in a confined guarded room. And it's kind of something "they" do.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Saul or someone in the CIA stated he said so in the tape. Also, by implication Carrie states so to Brody in the hotel suite.

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, Mike is still in love with her. That relationship was on going for several years. Brody's wife felt guilt, but I bet she still has feelings for Mike, but her having sex with Brody, is contrived. In real life, if she was in love with another man, she would not have sex with Brody.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wouldn't it be easier and more secure, (in terms of not being found), if he had chemical or biological weapons in a container, (disguised as a nasal spray, drink or whatever), rather than several pounds of high explosives and ball-bearings strapped to him? All anyone had to do outside was to pat him on the back to realise there was something DRASTICALLY wrong.
    I don't remember him mentioning it and, tbh, it's a pretty strange thing to say in a suicide tape. After all, it's not like people watching it after the event have to be told normally, is it.

Anyway, no biggie... just seemed a bit of a gap in the story, that's all :)

20. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He thought he was going to do it outside. He didn't know about the sniper angle -- who missed on purpose so that they would all be rushed into the safe room and past security without a pat down. That was the whole reason for the sniper.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought he knew about Walker and his missing being part of the plan? Anyway, whether he did or not, it's a bit of stretch to suggest that that means they knew it was a suicide vest because them being inside also meant chemical or biological weapons would have worked equally as well.

22. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Also of consideration is that the entire video clip has not been seen from our eyes from beginning to end. It just could be as simple as Brody explaining what he was doing a bit later on the video.

I'm probably wrong but that is what struck me when looking at the responses on this.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's kinda why I said I might have missed something in the first post mentioning it but also, like I said, it's sort of a funny thing to say because people normally KNOW what you did after the event.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no need to over think this. Brody clearly confesses to his martyrdom in the video even if we don't see it all of it.

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, fair point I guess. It's just that I've seen a couple of these things from the 7/7 bombers, (a bit strange hearing a suicide video in a Yorkshire accent, tbh :(), and I don't think they mentioned the method of killing at all, presumably because it might have had to have been changed at some point.

Still, I agree, not a big deal :)