Homeland Season 2 - Showtime

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Alberto, Sep 1, 2012.

1. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if the universal idiocy already established holds true, then the video will be but a blip in the plot. "Hey he never said what he was going to do" -- "Oh ok".

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Based on the previews, he is going to kill Saul. Of course that would entail the equally stupid premise that Saul would sit on this new information.

4. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You and previews!

If that happens, I will be done with the show.

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... their voices seem... I don't know... different, somehow? Are you SURE that's a genuine vid? :eek:

:D

Anyhooo... I suppose the bottom line is I found those characters slightly unbelievable from pretty much the first episode whereas this seemed more realistic. Like I say, I didn't watch any of the other series of 24 apart from the first and I almost quite halfway through that. Of course, if this goes the way some people are thinking I might do the same with this. :(

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That raises a question... are we to assume that Carrie didn't tell anyone that he admitted he was a Muslim and had met Nazir? I mean, I get why they might not believe her, (because she's a nucking futcase), but are we to assume she didn't tell them?

Because if she DID tell them then why haven't they been watching the guy the same way she did at the start?

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Belgian guy repped this.
  8. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A different perspective.

9. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never heard of this woman before but, quite honestly, she seems a bit of an idiot. She's spent time in Afghanistan and has come to the remarkable conclusion that some Muslims don't like us. Well, no shit Sherlock!

She sounds like a typical 'embedded' reporter, (who I see has called for a 'revenge' attack in Libya :rolleyes:), who's married to a 'defence contractor' and who claims to have 'infiltrated' the Northern Alliance. Yeah, a blond, blue-eyed woman 'infiltrated' them... that's gonna happen :D

Frankly when journalists start becoming the story you can be pretty sure it's all gone to shit.

10. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is a little silly being that Homeland isnt really portraying Muslims as anything, the show is about terrorist so it is portraying terrorist that happen to be Muslim. Has there been any Muslims on the show that are not terrorist or at least tied to terrorist? The show is about a very select population of Muslims, not the general population of Muslims.

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She is one of the main reporters on 60 Minutes and her point is that it isn't just a small percentage of radicals. That anyone in the Taliban is against us (the West) and it goes beyond any comparison to Vietnam. That it is naive to think that if we leave Iraq and Afghanistan that the problem is over.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    No shit!

13. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think the point of that article is more that the show runners obviously have a very adolescent view of the Middle East and what intelligence work entails down there. I don't know who originally likened this show to 24, but it's actually a lot more accurate than one might think. It's certainly a lot closer to a show like 24 than any serious drama about counter-terrorist intelligence work.

14. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not real. It's a video to discuss a concept and it was poorly executed and acted.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

16. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think they have an adolescent view of the Middle East? I read that they have former intelligence officers as consultants for the show to help with accuracy. Is there a show that you would view as more serious than this regarding counter-terrorism? I have never seen any.

17. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he wants a role reversal to satisfy his western guilt? Like that one episode of Chappelle where the black drug dealers were treated with kid gloves and the surburban white couple was treated like the drug dealers.

Honestly, this is a show about terrorists attempting to infiltrate the US government and carry out a terrorist action. I think we are all mature enough to recognize that not all Muslims are terrorists, but I also know that it is naive to think that there is no sympathy for the aims of radical Islam.

Would this program make Belgian Guy feel better is there were Muslims that were not sympathetic to Radical Islam? There already was in the first season with the wife of the Iman and the lman himself that were not radicals.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think you are misinterpreting me, my gripe about the representation of Islam was primarily about season one. My issues with the nature of intelligence work has mostly been about season two.

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was really on edge there that Carrie was going to kill herself!

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wind-up merchant. :p

21. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously. Screw national security, I'm going to show the disgraced insane agent who is fixated on the target the intel. No way that can go wrong!

Remember that hotel in the first season where the red herring house buyers went and there were mysterious gun shooters? I guess those shooter guys were busy, so Nazir had to send A CONGRESSMAN to the tailor.

Head. Spinning.

22. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I do not understand. I do not think there has really been an representation of Islam but rather a representation of radical Islam.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say the Brody story line is losing me quickly. There's Chad's point above (I can't even really discuss the whole tailor thing because I disliked every second of it); plus the whiplash quality to the Brody marriage -- lies; reconciliation; doubt; hot sex, no, no sex,.. yes, hot sex....no wait.. too hot!.. too hot!!!.. ; more lies; more doubt; more Mike; more ultimatums...

Carrie's potential suicide was the most believable part of the show. Danes is impressive as hell, dragging this show along with her to the finish line. But even there -- I too was sure they would keep the Brody video from her for some time due to security concerns. But despite the logic, I actually liked the Saul/Carrie scene because of the characters. It at least read true in that respect.

Alberto repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Actually I did believe that because of the Saul character who seems to have a soft spot, (and a pretty hard one too if my guess is right ;) :D... yeeugh, as the young people of today would say), for her.

What I DON'T believe is that he's keeping it a secret until he gets back in the office. Maybe a phone call to the black guy, (David?), wouldn't go amiss?
    Yeah, that's getting a bit much, isn't it. What's he gonna get him doing next? Giving his car a service? Dropping some dry cleaning off?

Of course, now he's not blown himself up maybe they're trying to get the guy caught to embarrass himself, (and the administration), in the most public way possible. That's a possibility I suppose.

25. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If only there were a better way to smuggle a digital video file out of Beirut than hidden inside a briefcase. :p

All joking aside, the scene that bothered me most is Jessica suddenly realizing what Brody went through. Only an emotional cripple would not have figured out by that point that her husband had gone through hell and actually (seemingly) was far better off mentally than he had any reason being.