Home Opener March 15th vs. Colorado

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Empire Supporters Club, Feb 25, 2014.

1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Tell that to the referee.... Olave bump the little catracho like a rag doll, he abuse of his size and deliberately bump him, so de call could be some time not to be called because for the penalty implication, but was a foul.....

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    When Colorado fans unanimously admit that it wasn't a penalty, then it wasn't a penalty. Why are you acting like its so strange that an amateur replacement referee could make a mistake?

3. jeremydneezy

jeremydneezy Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Greenville, SC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a penalty.

Another lackluster game from RBNY. Dax played one his worst games in his time here. He was absolutely awful. He must have had the ball taken off him four times in the first half alone. He's got to rediscover his 2012 form and fast.
    I thought Henry and BWP paired well. Sam looked lively on the right. The defense looked solid. My only complaint with the starting 11 was the midfield. Cahill looked off the pace and Dax looked like a USL player.
    Alexander and Steele offered nothing off the bench. Those guys are not gamechangers in any way.
    I think we need to inject some talent into central midfield during the summer. Dax doesn't have any real competition and Cahill is being wasted there to some degree.

4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I watched most of the game and that was my impression as well. Seems like whenever your defenders get possession of the ball they would hoof it up down the field towards the strikers and bypass the midfield completely as if they didn't have any confidence in build up play. Doesn't Luyindula have some experience in that role from last season? I agree that you probably want to recruit a dedicated playmaker however.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's shocking how poor our CM's have been since that was a strength of ours last season. And yes, Peggy really started to turn it on as a CAM towards the end of last year. The game of soccer is won and lost in the center of the pitch. If our CM's continue to play like this we're f#cked.

Additionally, half the team looks like they're playing hungover. Just no sharpness or energy about them at all. Even when we dominated the first 15 min. we were simply pumping crosses in from the wings. Nothing much else.

I'm not really going to get too bent out of shape yet. We all know this league. You can be the worst team on the planet for 3 months and end up winning MLS Cup....but I don't think there's anything wrong with criticizing poor play. And it's been POOR.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was anybody else at this game. I was sitting behind the supporters section (banner was awesome) and was very VERY confused as to why we were attacking the supporters end of the field in the first half. Seems like every game last year we were attacking the supporters end in the 2nd half. Seemed pretty silly for RB to look for the game winning goal on the "quiet" end of the stadium.

ALSO, after the penalty was converted did anyone else see Sanchez give the supporters the finger? He definitely turned around and had a gesture that got a chorus of boo's. Tough to see from where I was sitting, but I could have sworn he gave us all the bird.

schnix repped this.
  7. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    What was your pre-season like? Are the players simply tired from a grueling workout schedule?

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not going to pretend to know what they've been through. From what I understand the focus on fitness was just the first couple weeks. Everything else was mainly tactical.

9. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We're pretty much at a loss right now, the problem seems more tactical than physical which is counter-intuitive considering we carried over largely the same roster and coaching staff as last season. The midfield especially seems all out of sorts, not really knowing where they're supposed to be at any given time...

Most confusing is Petke's hesitation to play Luyindula in the midfield after his dominant performances from that spot last season. It wouldn't fix everything, but dropping him in there would help create at least SOME semblance of build up on the ground.

10. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Has Petke ever tried the 4-4-2 diamond shape with a CAM behind the 2 strikers and a dedicated DM and 2 CMs on either side of the midfield that can also roam up the wings? It's been working like a charm at Lyon this season, mainly because we don't have wingers that can do the work of creating on offense. If Luyindula were used as the CAM the formation could alternate between a 4-3-3 with him pushing up as a support striker or drop back to play defense and the playmaker role when in possession.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played a diamond with Dax as the DM and Peggy as the CAM last year. We only have one true creative winger in SAM. Steele and Alex and hardworking and blow hot and cold as outside mids. Sometimes they're great. Sometimes not. On paper Convey would be a better "CM" played on the outside as you suggest above.

When Steele and Alexander are in the lineup more often than not it would look like this:

--------Peggy
    Steele-Dax-Alexander

Sam plays wide and Convey likes to tuck inside:

------Peggy
    Convey------------Sam
    -------Dax

Other options:
    -------Peggy
    --------------------Sam
    Steele-Dax

-----Peggy
    Convey
    -----Dax-Alexander

lefutur repped this.
  12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like you actually even overshot the actual attendance by a thousand or two. Are the PATH shutdowns the cause for the low turn out?

13. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    i can attest to this. i was originally supposed to go with 6 friends to the game. in the end, 2 of them decided not to go. one of them didn't want to walk from West 4th Street to West 9th to transfer. the other one has a policy of not traveling north of "Houston Street" on a weekend. we're all Brooklyn folks

both of them already paid for their RB tickets too, but this was before the PATH shutdowns were announced. some people are really "that" kind of lazy

14. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connor Lade as winger? it could work....

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he's going to have a pro career IMO that's where it will be. Not sure just how far down the depth chart he truly is right now.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Seems like he's at least 3 spots deep no matter where he is, he hasn't even made the bench these first two games and there's been no reports of new injuries. He's a guy that really could have benefited from the USL affiliation this year.

17. miggly

miggly Member

Jan 25, 2000
    NYC
    I can recall maybe one other time we started a match attacking the supporters section in 1st half. Do they even do a coin toss before the match? If so maybe Colorado won and picked direction. But would imagine that would happen more often if so.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a coin toss before MLS matches (I did it for a Rapids game last season) and the winner gets a choice of direction.

miggly repped this.
  19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Never noticed. If so, we must have won that toss every time at home last year.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its done just after the anthem(s) as the teams get ready for the pre-game photos.
    [​IMG]
    (That's me in the middle)

21. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just barely watched it a few more times and it was a horrible call.

I was about to write a post defending the call as being a "soft PK" that sucks for the team that gets the call but is one that overall helps the sport because it discourages dirty play and grabbing and shoving in the box which leads in the grand scheme of things to more offense and more beautiful play. i was going to slightly criticize Olave for making a dumb play because his bumping exposed himself to the soft PK call.

But I watched it again a few times and Olave at the moment of contact was just standing his ground while the Rapids attacker backed into him.

In no way should that be a foul on the defender if in the jockeying for position the attacker backs into the defender while the defender holds his ground.

Horrible call by the official.

22. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice. I've never actually noticed this happening.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States