Home Opener March 15th vs. Colorado

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Empire Supporters Club, Feb 25, 2014.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff about the USL side. Seems to me they're keen on inventing their own USL side as opposed to affiliating with an already existing one....which I'm fine with. Red Bull putting down the cash to expand their training facility for it too.

Roxburgh's comments about Moreno...hmmmm....seems to be a little ill will there...

2. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Last week Herc Gomez publicly called him out on playing with his cell phone when he was supposed to be in the gym working out. Moreno is only 18, but a few minutes browsing through his twitter account will tell you that his maturity level is well below even that...

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which furthers my impression that Dax and Alex had a horror show. One of the worst CM performances I've seen in a long while. And starting a backline with no chemistry I'm sure didn't help to bail them out.

Throw Cahill at CM and Olave back at CM with 3 guys he knows in Sekagya, Miller, and Kimura and I think we get at least 2 of those goals back from Vancouver.

iced1776 repped this.
  4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Good for Herc. It's up to the vets to show the kids what it means to be a professional.

5. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to Colorado: Dillon Powers is out and they will be starting their 3rd string keeper (this year's draft pick).

This is an absolute must win. Any other result is unacceptable.

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't think Powers or Irwin are 100% out yet, although Powers apparently said that he's definitely not fit enough for 90 minutes which is good news for us. He's the one that makes their midfield tick.

8. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing Red had them both out. Not sure where they got that info. Powers seems like a certainty based on this:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-racing-against-time-be-ready-colorado-rapids

Powers, the reining MLS Rookie of the Year, participated fully in Wednesday’s training session, the team’s final practice before flying to New York on Thursday. He made the trip but admitted Wednesday that he’s not at full fitness as he continues to battle knee tendonitis.

“I don’t,” Powers told MLSsoccer.com on Wednesday when asked if he felt ready to play a full 90 minutes. “It’s something Pablo knows about and is very clear about. It’s going to probably take a couple weeks to get there. I could do it, but it wouldn’t be smart as far as my recovery.”

I don't think Mastro would risk it. Especially in an away game.

9. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    no PATH tomorrow from WFC, ugh

10. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Get used to it, I think that section of the PATH is out for almost the whole season.

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well for what its worth Powers isn't listed on the official injury report, but between the knee problem and the concussion you'd think he would make a substitute appearance at most...

12. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that you can still catch the path at 33rd, 14t, etc. in nyc. Just add 15-20 min. more to your trip because I believe it has to go to hoboken first, then to journal square where you'll have to transfer to get to Harrison/newark penn.

Also, you could take NJT direct from New York Penn to NJ Penn if you plan on going to any of the bars/restaurants in that area to pregame.

Should probably post this in the other thread....

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worth reposting in lieu of the PATH problems:

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't fathom that Pablo would throw him out there when he clearly isn't anywhere close to 100% on a knee problem.

That is just asking to set your team up for failure for the rest of the season. Powers said he probably needs 2 weeks to be up to speed. That's a long time and not worth the risk IMO. I'm not a gambling man, but if I was I'd bet heavily he doesn't start and lightly that we don't see him at all.

15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    yeah that's what we'll be doing

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To clarify the Powers injury, the knee is a recurring tendonitis issue he's had since college that flares up from time to time and he has to get drained. He's fine to play at this point (he started our last Desert Diamond Cup game or two) but due to it delaying his preseason he's not 90 minutes fit. I don't know if Pablo will start him but there's not much long-term risk if he does, it's just a matter of if he can help the team at his current fitness.

Irwin will essentially be a game-time decision based on how his leg has reacted to treatment this week.

18. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the insider info. I still think it's a gamble to start him. Only for the fact that you know you'll have to take him off in the 2nd half. Coaches don't really like starting guys that they already have to commit a sub to.

That being said...he's a/the key cog in your midfield so....

Enjoy the home opener everyone! I'm off to the barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

JasonMa repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's the strategic decision Pablo is faced with. I just wanted to clarify he wouldn't be risking Powers' long-term play this season by starting him.

20. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Just did.... wow!

21. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Line-ups out!!!!

[​IMG]

22. GunningforMLS1993

Aug 28, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    This is probably the best line-up we could probably come out with so come on Red Bulls, lets go and get 3 points!

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powers does start for Colorado, but rookie John Berner starts in the nets.

24. jtrex

jtrex Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Providence
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Halftime observations:
    - first 15 min was the best, everyone looked lively and dangerous
    - Eckersley has actually been pretty good so far I thought
    - miller still has boneheaded moments to put it nicely