Holland vs Portugal Euro 2012 Match Thread: Get Ready to BRAWL!

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by jec1, Jun 14, 2012.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Discuss here...

2. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Me thinks Ronaldo will score 2 just to piss off Robben. There is already an incident involving Robben and his coach. Oh boy!

3. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have this strange feeling that we will draw, I'm all for it as long as Germany beats Denmark.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    We need Germany to avoid defeat if that is the case!!

5. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    I don't see Germany losing, so I'm not worried about their result.

I see Bento going all defensive, knowing that Holland needs 2 goals. I'm not sure that's the right tactic, but Bento forgot everything about attacking once the tournament started. At least he's not playing 6 cb's....yet.

If we get one goal it's gonna put all sorts of pressure on the Dutch. Maybe we'll see the Oranje of old and they will implode. But that's just wishful thinking.

6. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I can see Robben assaulting Bento on the sidelines and then getting drop kicked by Pepe.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don't worry, he's got Joao Pinto to protect him.;)

8. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You never stop attacking, NEVER! The second half was absurd, sitting back and defending, we let them back in the game. I think Nelo/Varela will be used as subs again... they're our magical duo.

People forget, Germany could be eliminated as well. They're gonna play to win.

vilafria repped this.
  9. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We will definitely need a repeat of the way we played against Germany for this match but of course, good luck will be a factor if it turns out to be a success for us. Holland beat every team they have faced so far in possession, but they can't seem to click like they should off of it. Having scored the most goals in qualifying out of any European team, Holland was expected to top the group but my oh my have things changed. The bottom line is that we aren't going to be able to control much of the ball in this game, so it's going to be a nail-biter until the very end defensively. I hate to admit it, but i don't see us winning this game unless we capitalize on the few chances we are given because we won't be given much.

10. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Joao Pinto is there in case we get an unfavorable decision by the ref and need some one to knock the ref out. ;)

11. Falcon_11

Falcon_11 Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wanting a draw to go through...

Like in 2002? :ROFLMAO:
    No that was Germany. They were 2nd favorite after Spain, Netherlands 3th.
    I can't see us score 2 goals nor hold the 0.. I think Portugal will get plenty of chances with those wingers..

I predict a 2-1 win for Portugal

12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  14. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Holland are basically going to be camped out in Portugal's half the entire match, hopefully the midfielders and defense have extraordinary performances.

Ronaldo needs to be absolutely massive here.

RVP/Robben/huntelaar plus vdv/sniejder/de jong in midfield..thats thier lineup, bank on it!

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Must-win. Forget about keeping a tie or any of that nonsense. It would be nice to see Bento score a Scolari moment and change the team around based off how the subs have worked so well, but maybe it's best to hold on to the trump cards. That is what makes Bento MILES better than Queiroz, because as much as Queiroz sucked, I don't think we gave away that many stupid goals while he was coach (bar the two qualifiers - he didn't even manage from the bench). It's his decision-making and ability to change the way we function. Top coach.

16. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Germany is guaranteed nothing at this point, so it's gonna show up to play and get a result, which means Portugal only need a draw. Portugal's not going to sit back and defend for 90 minutes, though. I can see the team playing for that first goal and then holding on for a draw. I can also see Portugal getting the first goal and seeing the Dutch fall apart. You never know, but Portugal is definitely playing with better odds of advancing than Denmark.

17. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal will be through with victory unless Denmark win by a one-goal margin (other than 2-1 and 1-0). They will progress with a draw unless Denmark win. Portugal will also be through if they lose by a one-goal margin and Denmark are also beaten.

18. Sarajevsko Pivo

Sarajevsko Pivo Member+

Oct 14, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    I think this will be the line up of the Dutch team:

------------Stekelenburg-------------
    VD Wiel--Heitinga---Mathijsen--Willems
    -----De Jong---------VD Vaart--------
    Robben-------Sneijder--------Van Persie
    -----------Huntelaar--------------------

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Were going to be playing be counter attack futebol for this game as well. Personally, I would love if we had more of the ball, but the CA futebol in this instance, is the right strategy. We are talented enough to hit them with Ronaldo and Nani on the flank. If we go and play a complete CA game we should have either Varela or Nelson up there to contribute to the CA more effectively.

Their defense is weak enough to be exposed by our players down the middle of the pitch as well if Moutinho/Raul have good games so maybe we will try and hold onto possession, which would be ideal.

Dutch are slowly imploding, their dressing room is a bit of a mess with player accusing each other, they are demoralized, and their defense has holes in it. With that said, we hate each other.

I think we will win, but its going to be a battle.

20. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Well as long as Germany win, which they are likely to do, we should be fine. I think we should do well against the dutch though, I can't see them beating us but I have a feeling Rui Patricio will be tested a lot.

21. portugal#1

portugal#1 Member

Mar 10, 2007
    This is going to be one of the most intense games in a while for Portugal.

22. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I hope the players realise that they have a massive opportunity here to do something pretty special.
    The truth of the matter is that if they get out of the group they have a more than realistic chance of making the final. More than likely the Czech team awaits and then beyond there more than likely the french.

23. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    14 yellows and 4 red cards anyone? :p God if tomorrow is anything like the 2006 chaos, we're in for a heart attack or 2. Have 911 on speed dial!

24. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    We do have a golden opportunity to reach the semi finals, the Czech Republic is a very beatable team in the Quarter-final. But I think we'd most likely play Spain in the semi-final.

25. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed(I believe it's Spain in the semi finals not France though), but the Dutch are in the way with their backs against the wall ready to snap out at the nearest threat. They know they've been shit, they know they need to win by 2 goals...They will come out with fire, guns blazing...at the very least for personal pride.

Portugal needs to stay composed, organized, and for once this tournament have seamlessly quick transition play(the kind we had when PB first took over). Granting the Dutch as much time on the ball in front of the back four like against Germany/Denmark and out wide is an invitation for disaster, the team needs to be more assertive at key moments, especially against a very vulnerable defense and lack of team cohesion.

Veloso's been good, with the ball at his feet. He lacks in quality the ability to snuff out danger in between the lines and to help cover the fullbacks with strong defensive play, he'll need to step up. Meireles will need to put on his Chelsea "pitbull" game face on to help him nullify time/space for both Sneijder and VDV because they will probably be on from the start and Meireles is far more DEFENSIVELY capable, unfortunately his passing is atrocious for the most part..his workrate and marking/tackling will be key....can't let players with their(sniejder/VDV) raw passing ability and vision to turn and face the back 4 with ease. So those two elements in midfield need standout performances. Moutinho has been ok, but he too has not been at his best, I expect him to thrive in this type of game, more so than when he went up against the more physically imposing German/Danish midfields.

Huntelaaer will probably start up top with Van Persie pushed out wide either on the left/right. We all know, and everybody else knows, that all the goals we've suffered is a direct result from a opposing cross gliding into the space between Joao Periera/Pepe, because the former is so weak aerially and Pepe has to cover both positions basically. Huntelaar will drift wide, it's going to happen.

Pepe and Meireles will also need to watch out for the Dutch attempts in isolating RVP 1 v 1 with Bruno Alves, and help protect him in that regard.

Coentrao needs a complete performance to hold back the fort against Robben, a performance he had against Germany, not so much the one against Denmark. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Robben on their left to have him run at Joao Periera:ninja:

I'm also intrigued to see which Ronaldo shows up after the massive amount of criticism and abuse he's been receiving :

-The sulking petulant Ronaldo who acts as if everytime a defender steals a ball from him is a crime against humanity and waves his arms/face in disbelief..

- Or the Ronaldo who played with a massive chip on his shoulder after the Wayne Rooney 2006 sending off, destroying anything in his path the ensuing season. The one who grinded his nose to the ground, worked hard, and never gave up, in short acting like a potential captain should act.

For our sakes, it NEEDS to be the latter.

We wont be seeing much of the ball, Holland will try to dictate play and lay siege to our goal, so the quick transition game that PB employed and the players utilized to perfection at first( first few qualification matches, vs spain/argentina ) is vital. Ronaldo and Nani need to be sharp, hungry, and direct at attacking that defense with the space given to them. The midfield will need to finally show up and connect with their passes, so please Meireles no more passing out of bounds and no more potentially life threatening wayward shots from 30 yards out..Moutinho has to work on getting on the ball more, creating a far bigger influence during play.

Forca Portugal

This is going to be mentally intense, we need to score the first goal, it would completely demoralize Holland and have them open up even more...in a perfect world the hot Aphrodite futebal Goddess would make Ronaldo score a wonder goal to up his confidence.

If the Dutch score first, things could get very ugly with them finally getting their tails up.

BatatasFritas, FigoTX and palynka repped this.