Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adi21

adi21 Member

The ones that have Americans starting
    United States
    Mar 17, 2001
    Maryland
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disingenuous to paint that challenge as "mistimed" and occuring countless times. If that was the case we'd see countless broken legs every week, but we don't because players are more talented and less reckless than Evans.

2. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    [​IMG]

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol. I just...don't know what to say to this.

4. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    He didn't go in any differently then Stu, watch the video for ********s sake. They both go into the tackle in very similar fashion.

Holden goes into the challenge in the same exact way.

[personal attack deleted by mod] Everyone knew at the time even before his book came out that it was definitely on purpose and he only wanted to harm Haland. Comparing a knee high lunge to Evans challenge, laughable.

You then question if the people defending Evans are United fans when you have shown yourself to be biased with your comments about Carragher. Are you a life long Liverpool fan?

5. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Evans isn't 4th CB on United's depth chart, try third. He was just coming back from an injury also, has nothing to do with his ability. He was fantastic last year actually. Lastly, Carrick isn't a DM.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Hmm, there's so much wrong here. 1. Bigoted insults. 2. Inability to see the difference in Evan's and Holden's approach to the tackle. 3. Reading comprehension. I said Carragher's tackle destroyed Nani's leg, which if anything is hyperbole against Carragher, and Carragher only got a yellow, which is a fact, and Ferguson said it was "disgusting," which is a fact. I'm not even a Liverpool fan. 4. If everyone knew the injury was intentional, why did Keane receive the exact same 3 match ban as Evans (unless everyone also knows Evans' was also intentional, by your logic?) and why did institutions initiate action against Keane a year after the tackle, but days after the book came out?

7. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    There's literally no difference. They both go into the challenge in the same exact fashion.

It was posed as a slight on Ferguson, which I responded to. No problem reading here.

Is this difficult for you to understand also? That's the punishment for a red card, that's why Evans and Keane got the same punishment. Following me so far? Everyone knew it was intentional but you can't hand out retrospective punishment without facts. Once his book came out and he himself admitted to intentionally trying to harm Haland he was further punished.

8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So you think Holden deserved a red for the way he went in, or you don't think Evans deserved his.

Unless this video is fake, it's clear to me that Holden slides in with the classic recovery side tackle, which is sliding with the studs *away* from the opponent, and then swinging the lower leg in to make contact with the ball with the non-studded part of the shoe. Evans, in a huge difference, launches himself studs first, leg ramrod straight, maximum force going through the ball and directly into the opponent. Classic maiming tackle.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...pkey=70af6f18-8284-420e-b477-907f44a3ad33||||

Ferguson attacked Carragher's tackle, and defended Keane's AFTER the book came out. It is what it is.

It is difficult for me to understand how everyone knows something without it being a fact. If they knew it, it would be violent conduct and would have received a lengthy ban.

adi21 repped this.
  9. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't see a huge difference if any. You can pause the video of the tackle at various points and the form both of them use is very similar. Evans red was definitely influenced by Holden's reaction and the Bolton and United players. If you replay that scenario without the freak injury occurring(so minus Holden's reaction) you'd see a yellow at most given to Evans and that's being generous.

It's clear as day. Everyone knew at the time but you can't punish the player for what you think even if it's 99.99% so after the player himself admitted to it(so there's no grey area intent wise) you can then hand out further punishment.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Okay, I spelled out what I see. And you don't think it even deserved a yellow. Makes sense I guess if you think they went in the same way. Holden certainly didn't deserve a yellow.

12. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Nani got stitches and nothing more. Our definitions of "destroyed" are obviously waaay different.

13. CDM76

CDM76 Member+

May 9, 2006
    Socal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put Smalling and Jones both ahead of Evans (gave Evans benefit of the doubt since both Smalling and Jones cover more than one position).

As for Carrick, you're right, he's not a DM. He's a non-shooting holding midfielder who plays a uniquely understated and under-appreciated style.

But, he's still playing CB ahead of Evans (who was on the substitutes list).

Sorry for the threadjack.

How's Stu?

14. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the days go by, I keep losing the hope that we're going to see pre-injury Stu again...

15. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
  16. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so?

17. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Why would you lose hope when you can just wait and see. I haven't "lost hope" with Davies yet, let alone Holden.

atomicskiracer and juniorLA repped this.
  18. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bungadiri, Winoman, CDM76 and 1 other person repped this.
  19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've forgotten, what's the rule of thumb on the timeline for pro soccer injuries? Whatever the time you were bed-ridden it takes twice that much time to recover once you start rehab? (or something like that?).

20. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Happy tweet:

Tom Collingsworth and McGarnagle repped this.
  21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    That's what people keep repeating, but I'm not at all sure it has any basis in fact. And they don't say bed-ridden, because it takes a Charlie Davies type of catastrophe to be confined to bed for any period of time.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Funny, Liverpool just got a straight red at home for a play that was way less dangerous than Evans' on Holden. Recipient: Jon Evans.

23. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    Not to mention Shelvey was much lower and got the ball on his challenge.

24. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    And didn't launch with a locked leg from much farther away, and wasn't completely aligned behind his studs.

Yep, still bitter.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  25. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stuart Holden@stuholden
    Seen a tackle like that before .. Hmmm