Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Re: Holden out for a hero: Stu at Bolton

Me too. Evans just went on the sht list w/ De Jong. In fact, I remember him doing the same karate chest kick once that De Jong did also.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSPG99Hx_iM"]YouTube - Johny Evans tackle on Stuart Holden[/ame]

Yep, he left Drogba convulsing on the field. Well, let's separate the convulsing part out. It was still a De Jong.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlVOlYKwhHo"]YouTube - evans vs drogba[/ame]

2. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hope it's better than it looked.

3. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC

stuholden Stuart Holden
    Thanks for all the messages of support, will keep everyone updated when I find out the extent of injury. #coyw

4. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Johnny Evans is a ********ing hack. No simple way to put it. Only way for him to put in a tackle is to foul (that is when he has an opportunity to--most opponents just run around him like he's a small crippled child with arthritis).

This guy has it down pat: http://www.youtube.com/user/HellzCoq#p/a/u/2/T4ppThu-mBs

Would love to hear Ferguson talk about that challenge. He went batshit crazy over Carragher's chop on Nani, and Evans' was just as bad.

5. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

Coyle says:

[On the red card] My concern is about the player (Stuart Holden). He's on the way to hospital with his knee opened by a cut. I'm hoping it's no more than that. I've not seen the tackle again but it looked like to players committed to get the ball. It was a thrilling game and my players gave everything they could. We're disappointed we've lost and that shows how far we've come. There are many positives and we'll look to take the next step to improve further."

6. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

It was a 50/50 challenge with Holden coming out on the bad end of things. You talk about lunging in what was Holden doing? They both lunged in and if Holden doesn't get injured Evans gets a yellow and they get on with the game but the ref sees Holden in pain and the blood on his knee and reacts.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

Have you seen the video? Holden tries to hook it, Evans goes in with your classic leg breaker.

8. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&amp;G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Evans went in with his studs up and in the air. There's a difference.

9. Yanks Abroad

Yanks Abroad Member

Aug 30, 2009
  10. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

Classic leg breaker? :rolleyes: Now that's stretching. They both go into a 50/50 tackle looking to win the ball and the only reason Holden doesn't look guilty is because he comes in from an angle not head on like Evans so he can't get stuck in where Evans came in head on into the challenge.

I guess everyone left out the part where Evans got the ball and only got Stu's knee cause the ball bounced to.

11. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&amp;G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't matter if you get the ball, doesn't matter if it's 50/50. You can't go into a tackle like that.

12. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

It does matter if you get the ball, it does matter if it's 50/50. Owen Coyle himself said he saw nothing in it. I mean I don't know if it can get more obvious then that.

So you're also ignoring the fact Stu himself goes into a lot of challenges with studs up?

13. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed. One is a legit attempt to control the ball and win possession, the other is a desperate lunge that not only offers no hope of controlling the ball, but carries with it the danger of seriously injuring someone.

14. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

[​IMG]

Holden's studs are up there. Why wasn't he sent off? This studs up=your off argument is about as flawed as they come.

15. ctoa23

ctoa23 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 25, 2007
    E&amp;G Forum
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Studs up, but he's not slamming into Evans' leg. He goes in to chop the ball out.
    [​IMG]

Look where Evans' leg is. Right at Stu's knee. I'm sorry, but it's 100% red everytime. It's just a lazy, dumb challenge.

16. I<3F50

I<3F50 Member

Nov 27, 2007

And do you think Evans meant to slam into his leg? It was a 50/50 challenge where neither player was at fault with an unfortunate outcome that the ref felt he needed to react to.

It doesn't matter what Holden was trying to do with his leg his studs were still up which according to you is why Evans tackle was bad.

If anything your picture just proves what I've been saying. Both of their tackles are nearly identical yet Holden comes out with a knock and Evans is the new De Jong.

17. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009

It doesn't matter if he didn't mean to slam into Holden. He did. Anytime someone's timing is off and they f' up on a challenge, it's a cardable offense. Quit making excuses. Any quality defender that far from goal would make better decisions than Evans did.

18. Jacques Strappe

Mar 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Neither player at fault? Dude, give it up. It was a terrible challenge. Evans went in with a straight leg straight into Holden and through/ over the ball. He was clearly reckless. Evans is a hack and a classless individual. He may have gotten those rape charges dropped, but he ain't getting out of this without a suspension.

19. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Correction Holden didn't show the studs, it was only the other guy. Also it was an awfull pass from the Korean player which force Stuart to go for the challenge ball.

20. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009

I guess you know more than Fergie:

""The referee has seen the player had a bad injury," observed Ferguson, who watched the contest from the directors' box as he began a five-match touchline ban.

"Both players went for the same ball, with their feet raised, and Jonny caught the lad.

"Once you raise your feet you are putting yourself in a dangerous area. It was unfortunate but we cannot complain."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...-to-hospital-article715505.html#ixzz1H4wrB554

21. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fergie when it comes to how to manage a club, how to develop player, how to make out a game plan= Top notch

Fergie complaining about refs or calls= ho-hum

22. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Sky says he was taken to a hospital but there's no other news yet.

Bolton is hoping it's just a gash with no knee/ligament damage.

24. jdiris

jdiris Member

Jul 5, 2009
    North Carolina
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

FSC reported he needed 26 stitches for the gash

25. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem IMO is where did Evans think his studs up straight ahead leg was going to end up? I mean, he's dives head on with his studs pointing at the ball and player, that's a ********ing dirty play because it would be almost impossible for him not to hurt Stu. ( I would surmise that he did this to protect himself at the expense of Stu) Either way, he's taking Stu out whether he gets the ball or not.

Stu leaves his feet but doesn't go studs up, in fact he makes sure not to go directly at the player with his studs. Fergie is just sticking up for his player but I just lost a lot of respect for him.