Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. realUSpride

realUSpride Member

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Modern medicine is significantly better than in JOB's hayday. He came back too soon last year and payed the price, and doesn't want to repeat. He still has time to impress for 2014.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I had one of these clean outs done a long time ago, following my ACL repair, and it was a minor thing that was presented to me as routine. I walked out of the hospital, didn't even have pain, just some soreness. I was back to full running after about a week and a half.

It's probably one of those, which is why I don't consider it any sort of setback.

3. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The earliest I expect to see Holden is January.

4. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I went back and looked at the specs of Holden's injury (the last one I mean). i was confusing him with Lichaj's hip injury. I thought that one was the death blow for Lichaj. Anyway, the above posters are more correct, the clean out procedure on a knee cartilage injury is pretty routine. The question I have is why this timetable is so drawn out. That last operation occured around 10 months ago? It seems a bit long to be out with that injury/operation. Does anyone know if the op was done by the guru (Andrews)?

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bigger concern I have is once he does get back, how long it takes to get him back into form. Could be a full season or two at minimum.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1. We don't know what type of surgery he had, whether it was a 'clean-up' simple procedure. We are only speculating. The part that needs to give you pause is Coyle saying he hasn't been training much lately which leads to...

2. His original injury and follow up were not for a 'basic' ACL reconstruction. This was some other injury. And the fact that it needed a second procedure, this third surgery should not be an automatic 'no big deal.' He is nearing two years. EVERY set back is a big deal.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His original injury was a fracture of the bone, something like a long crack parallel with the bone. The next was a torn meniscus, which is entirely different, so who knows what's going on in there.

9. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
    people have joints "cleaned out" all the time after surgery. It's pretty common. As someone else said, you get some scar tissue buildup and have to get it out if it's causing discomfort.

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    never saw it was a meniscus injury the second time around. This must be similar to what happened with Feilhaber. It took him probably a year to recover from that whole thing. What happened to the three week meniscus injury?

11. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever he does hang up the cleats (hopefully a decade or so from now...) he has a future in broadcasting. I remember him calling a Dynamo game a few years ago and did a pretty good job of it.

12. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    My 17yo daughter tells me Stu is easy on the eyes. Personally I find Tevez more handsome.

13. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is pretty interesting. I'm assuming Kobe used it to try heal/regrow the cartilage in his right knee. Does anyone even know what exactly Holden's problem was to begin with? I want to say it was his patella tendon..but I'm not sure.

14. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Evans tore his ACL with a hard challenge. Then when he came back last September they discovered 'cartilage damage' in that same knee which is a very vague description. It's surprising that it somehow went unnoticed considering they were looking at his knee for 6 months. I'm just shocked that something listed as 'cartilage damage' was severe enough to keep him out this long.

I haven't really ever read anywhere what the exact injury is.

15. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    I always got the feeling that his first surgery was botched, but I could be confusing him with Rossi.

16. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right "cartilage damage" is very vague and it can vary from minor to very significant depending on the size and location of the tear. Sometimes you can just trim off the torn part if it's near the edge of the cartilage and small, but if it's larger you may have to try to repair the tear and I've read that it can be tough to heal. We have no idea what the severity of Stu's damage is.

17. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    I truly hate that dude. As well as De Jong. Both challenges were totally uncalled for.

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No he didn't. It was a fracture to the knee of some sort. The ACL was never torn.

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    The Evans challenge was a completely fair challenge. The result was a red card and obviously trauma to Stu. But it was more or less a 50-50 ball during a competitive league game. Don't make it seem like a cheap shot, because it was definitely not. Evans was trying to win the ball and the match for his team, just as Holden was doing for his.

20. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    not at all. Evans was out of control. He induced a slide that could only wind up clattering into Holden with force. Holden slid under control and could ease up at the end. Big difference.

21. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't torn but some serious damage was done to it.

22. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    That tackle was a straight red in every league in the world. How you reconcile that with a "completely fair challenge" is beyond me. A "completely fair challenge" isn't even a foul, let alone a straight red. And the reason it's a straight red in every league in the world is that turning yourself into a missile with all your body weight and momentum behind your studs going straight into the opponent is reckless endangerment of your opponent.

Holden could have done the exact same thing but went for the 50/50 legally instead. Nice guys get effed up.

From 30 seconds: http://video.app.msn.com/watch/vide...pkey=70af6f18-8284-420e-b477-907f44a3ad33||||

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original injury was not tendon or ligament damage it was a very narrow fracture of the bone.

24. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is a narrow fracture? Is it better than a wide fracture that doesn't exist?

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a crack in the bone that it's very fine running along the bone (thats why the initial x ray showed now fracture). Almost like a small crack you might see on the sidewalk, hard to see but it compromises the strength of the bone. This is all available way back in either this thread or an older one.