Holden out for a quick recovery: Stu at Bolton [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by irish56, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinowski AP

Pinowski AP Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Holden at Bolton: This is a Thread About Stuart Holden, Who Currently Plays Soccer (Also Known a

Let's hope stu stays out of trouble...the british tabloids love their puns.

"Stu caught holden a hooker"

"Stu wrecks sports car, cop says: 'He was bolton down the road'"

"Stu caught holden a gun while bolton from cops"

1 person likes this.
  2. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Holden at Bolton: This is a Thread About Stuart Holden, Who Currently Plays Soccer (Also Known a

Even if he does, these will all be in the Star tomorrow! :D

3. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Larry Mondello

Larry Modello, red-haired, freckle-faced, whiny-voiced, potbellied perpetual loser, is also Beaver’s best friend. Called "Frankie" early on, Larry never, ever looks really happy, but he comes closest when he’s got something working in his jaws. He’s most often remembered as the kid who is always digging something out of his pocket to eat, usually an apple. In fact, he probably eats more apples than Mr. Ed.

Larry’s father is always "away on business," often in Cincinnati, for some unexplained reason, and it is left to Mrs. Modello to raise Larry and his older sister. This task proves far too great a strain on his mother, and as a result, she is a very nervous, worried woman who can’t wait for her husband to get home to "get to the bottom of things." To hear Larry tell it, his father’s way of getting to the bottom of things is via direct pressure to Larry’s bottom.

thanks for the flashback... probably wont see that sketchy kid brought up in a long time if ever.

5. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007

Bolton have drawn the Stoke City/West Ham winner for the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005

I don't know, it seems kind of time-limited for a thread title. ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

Good news looks like Stoke

8. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's still a tough matchup for them. Stoke can draw them into playing the long ball game too much and their CBs are good at handling big CF's like Elmander/Davies. Sturridge would really give them problems, too bad he can't play.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Went with this one, because it was suggested earlier and because no consensus had developed about any other one.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stu and his mates should be stoked about their opponent. They were probably holden out for this draw.

11. jukeboxromeo

jukeboxromeo Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC

Bolton are one game from Europe as it stands. It would be fantastic to see how Stu fares on the European stage.

(admirably, I'm sure)

12. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Holden out for a hero: Stu at Bolton

Holden about this weekend's game against United. (Accent creep already underway, but it sounds vaguely English rather than a return to Scottish.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnpUt4t_kAY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Stuart Holden on Bolton's Utd test[/ame]

13. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005

Another avenue to Europa League...

If ManU and Man City finish in the top four, getting to the FA Cup final qualifies Bolton for Europa League.

14. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I want to say that I can definitely hear some Scottish intonations in certain words and vowel sounds. But a lot of it does sound vaguely English, as well.

15. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

At moments it sounds english, others american, and others yet scottish. It all sounds like hes wobbling between accents.

16. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup. Really interesting to listen to. But I'm a language geek, as many around here know...

17. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

You don't say :)

He was definitely mixing in the beginning and the Scottish definitely creeped out in "encouraging". The second half of the interview was almost completely American.

On a side note, living in England looks terrible.

18. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know--try to contain your shock.

I really heard it in "encouraging" as well as the overall rhythm of his speech.

I'm moving to London in May. Will report back.

19. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Most glaring thing to me was the pronunciation of "United."

20. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

Damn it. Stu's turning British. Next thing we know, he'll pull a Friedel and prematurely retire from the national team.

21. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Got first dibs on username: "Holden'sAccent" :)

1 person likes this.
  22. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

His pronunciation of "good" and "do" tend toward the Scottish vowel sound as well, and then his time-gainer/hesitancy hiccup "ehm" is quite British, as opposed to the usual American "um".

Accent or not, Stu's got himself a future in football!

23. CCSoccerFan

CCSoccerFan Member

May 2, 2009

Damnit! I hope he's not hurt bad... damnit, damnit, damnit. At first I thought he was OK, just a nasty cut across the knee, but then he was stretchered off. Ugh.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For those that don't know, Stu was crushed trying to get to a loose ball by a studs-up tackle by Jonny Evans (who was red-carded).

Well, that "nasty cut" was realllllly nasty. His knee just got split wide open. That gash must have been 3 inches long. It does really worry me that there's further damage to the knee than just the gash because they strapped his leg down on the stretcher to keep it still. Motherf***er. I was very much looking forward to seeing him in the midfield with Jermaine Jones next weekend, but that sure ain't gonna happen anymore.

25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Damn this puts me in a foul mood. I'm sick of these reckless challenges in the EPL. I'm praying there's no structural damage. This could really hurt both Bolton and our NT, if it turns out to be serious. Was really looking to seeing Stu next weekend.