Hispanics in youth soccer

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by medivoctor5, Apr 14, 2007.

1. medivoctor5

medivoctor5 Red Card

Aug 24, 2005
    Many of you guys will argue against me. But after watching the last Dallas Cup it is clear that Hispanics continue to dominate at the youth level.
    The dallas cup serves at a better undestanding on this issue
    Finalist
    In the U12 division we had Nomads and Barcelona of Cali battle it out. Both teams were predominantly Hispanics

U14.Dallas cup had to Mexican finalist (irrelevant but wanted to throw this out)

15 we had Celtic Hoops with the title. The team is composed of 100% Latinos of California

16 .Tigres took the title.

U17. La rampage took the title. Best players were Hispanics (Danny Barrera).

Super group –Sao Paulo took the championship

My point is Hispanics and latinos continue to dominate soccer in US soil

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The U19 Supergroup entrants, Solar and Arsenal, have been the class of their age groups for years in the U.S., and they are mostly nonHispanic, even coming from the Dallas and SoCal areas. The magnificent Dallas Texans team that won U19 Super Group last year was mostly nonHispanic.

Also, many of the nationally competitive nonHispanic clubs such as Delco, PDA, Michigan Wolves, CASL, Scott Gallagher, and so forth don't attend Dallas Cup. The Dallas event is something of a Latinofest.

So ... you exaggerate. Substantially.

3. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    Have to agree with medivoctor5. The hispanic/latin groups are going to be better players than the Gabacho. Maybe it has something to do with soccer being the NATIONAL SPORT of our neighbor's to the south.

Don't be a racsist JohnR.

4. call me a racist too but...how do the hispanic clubs do when they play against the top non-hispanic clubs??

if the dallas cup attracts mostly hispanic teams, statistically hispanic teams are going to win...it really isn't a good example.

5. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    racist.

JohnR said:

6. confused??

johnR did not say that. he quoted it from medi5.

7. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    yes..sorry, medi. Long day of soccer today.
    We stayed late and watched the mexicans play :D

8. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    To answer this question, wouldn't one look to what is considered to be the highest level championship in youth soccer....the US Youth Soccer National Championships? I would think this could be answered pretty easily by looking there. And, I think that the stats from the Nat Championships would show that the Dallas Cup is not an accurate sampling of the top soccer in the US to make a generalized statement like the poster presents.

Also, I think everyone should feel somewhat baited by the initial post. It seems to me that the original poster was trying to elicit responses which he/she would then call racist. It has already caused JohnR to be called out, and based upon previous posts by JohnR over the years....I don't believe this to be the case.

If you want to make the case for Latinos, it definately only has a foothold within the boys' side of the game. And if it were true, I would say that it would be due to cultural influences as someone alluded to. These same cultural values would also support why the girls' side doesn't follow suit. But, quite frankly, I don't think the argument holds any water. NEXT TOPIC.

9. medivoctor5

medivoctor5 Red Card

Aug 24, 2005
    Look at all the teams that win the national championships...they are all run by latino players. Arsenals top players were 4 hispanics.Dallas texans last year the same!

cmon now

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Golden Boot winners (best players in the field), at last year's Nationals -

U19 Javanon - Darren Yeagle
    U18 Magic - Christopher Schuler
    U17 Arsenal - Gerson Mayen
    U16 Bays - Michael Rose
    U15 SoCal - Evan Raynr
    U14 Valley - Eduardo Gonzalez

Hey, maybe they're all Latino, just carrying nonLatin names. But somehow, I doubt it.

11. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Who cares whether someone is Hispanic,Negro,Caucasian,Asian ?.......... a good footballer is a good footballer whether it be a Pele, Maradona,Best or Zidane.Note that none of the above were outstanding "athletes" but they were all outstanding playmakers.They all had the "spark",that creative instinct that elevates our game to levels untouched by other sports.
    Long live futebol,football and soccer!

12. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Celtic...I have to laugh when reading your post...you mention that none of the above players were outstanding "athletes". I wish I could have a dime every time Iv heard a college coach say that?? Well, we dont know if she is athletic enough, or big enough or what ever. Bottom line, they are Socr players!!

13. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I dont know which Dallas Cup you've been following but FC Delco does field teams at the tournament on a regular basis.

14. Carcacha

Carcacha Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's good to see latinos doing well in the youth levels. However, the real question is where they end up. Discipline, social class, culture can play a big part in these kids' lives. Just cuz these kids may be good doesnt mean they will necessarily succeed. Some may not even make it outta high school. Some may hang out with the wrong crowd and get into trouble. Some may not have the discipline to fulfill their potential. Some may not have their parents' support and must choose a different path. The obstacles that some of these kids face are harder than most people realize

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Been following the '06 Dallas Cup, which is what this guy's comments concern. Delco took a pass on this year's tournament.

16. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005

Someone else brought out the issue, and then when he (JohnR) tells his side he is racist for not agreeing? What a load of crap. Sure there are great players that would be called "latino"...but there are just as many that come from different areas. the original poster has taken information and skewed it to fit his way of thinking.

17. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004
    My two cents...money is the biggest hurdle for latinos to overcome. As the player gets older the fees increase substanially. Many latino family cannot afford the better clubs...especially if they have more than one child playing. Also, with travel/select soccer comes the time that has to be devoted to practices and traveling to league games and tournaments. Many latinos don't have the parental support system to keep them involve in high level soccer. So I don't see that latinos are dominating the youth leagues...definitely not in my area but that is because they aren't participating in numbers in the best clubs due to cost and the time commitment needed.

18. dfwtinman

dfwtinman New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    This was not true for the Dallas Texans 88 red, though they certainly had a several outstanding Hispanic players. Of the 5 who are part of the current U20 pool, 2 are Hispanic (Villanueva, Gonzalez ), 3 are not (Dworsky, McCarthy, Akpan). But,as for the whole 18 man roster, the team cannot be said to be "run by latino players." Personally, I couldn't care less if it had been, but your comment is simply inaccurate. (and ,come to think of it, Villanueva wasn't even at the National Championships last summer as he was overseas with the U18 Nat. team)

19. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I just thought that I'd bring out that not every anglo family in the US is wealthy.......not sure if you knew this because it appears as though you don't.

There are many of us who don't have the disposable income to throw money at futbol, futebol, soccer, or footy-- we just do what it takes to try and give our kids what they need to succeed. There are many things I'd like to have in my life, but any spare money I may have (or not have in some occasions) goes to my kids. So, please spare me the "people can't afford to excel"-- there are many in this boat, no matter what the race/creed.

20. drink your milk

Jul 4, 2006
    Thank you! I've got an oar in those waters myself.

I'm speechless at this. You prefaced this with "my two cents..." And thank god, because you haven't the slightest idea of what you are talking about. You dont know those communities. The more expensive a club does not mean it's better. Soccer is not a financial investment.

Is everybody on this board white and middle class?

21. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Even if what that guy is implaying was true... Many of the top clubs offer scholarships to player who cant afford to pay the fees rather they be white, latino, african american or any other race. There are obviously all kinds of people that struggle with money, not just latinos.

22. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Amen! Preach it, brother! If there is talent (or in many cases a desire) there is a way to get what you need. I applaud a particular Club in Des Moines, Iowa for giving outstanding opportunities to minorities--

23. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    It definately has more than a foothold and holds more than a little water. Latinos are beginning to dominate play in the younger ages of Cal-South (the dominant region in the country) and are expanding in other areas. Cal-North, Texas, Nevada, New Mexico and even northern places like Ill are becoming increasingly Latino. If you think it doesn't hold any water go look at the pictures in of state champions on the boys and girls side of Cal-South and see if you notice any differences.

24. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    On a normal day, you would have gotten me started again. But for now, there are plenty of places which you will find stats to show this is not true.

I am becoming (in)famous for this topic. Really touches a nerve with me.....

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Are you talking on the boys' side or the girls' side?

Not that I wish to get you started again, but it's kinda hard to argue against SoCal as the top boys' state, by a wide margin. I would estimate that SoCal has about as many top-tier teams as do each of the 3 other Regions. When the Wind U15s played in Regionals last year, then at Surf Cup one month later, they felt that the level of competition was just about equal.