His name is Mix Diskerud

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FlipsLikeAPancake, Sep 10, 2013.

1. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did it have more than 160 minutes to realized the guy (Mix) needed to be in there. He should have played in Costa Rica and would have made a difference.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When we go up 1-0, the other team must score to get points so they must go forward. We, otoh, can sit back, if we choose. When we sit back the field becomes more compact and defensive deficiencies of individual players are lessened. I think JK is maximizing Diskeruud's contribution on offense while minimizing the chance that he will affect the game detrimentally with his suspect defence. Diskerruud is getting better defensively, I think. We will see where he maxes out. Pirloesque?

3. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know if his game translates to a higher level than CONCACAF. Agreed, haven't seen it so far. But back during the WC10 cycle, JFT was starting for the Mexican champions. And Liga MX (or whatever it was called back then), IMHO, WAS head-and-shoulders better than MLS. In 2013, the gap has definitely narrowed.

Corona is a work in progress; he needs GAMES for Xolos.

But they deserved their shot. And we know that there's a "hearts and minds" war being waged for these dual-citizens. Part of me cynically believes that Jerome Keisewetter was on the U20 qualifying roster because he's a good friend to John Brooks, back when Germany was showing interest.

4. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    We will likely have a brand new 6 next cycle. Bradley will be the 8 and Mix will be the 10 type . Rowe and Gil will be fighting to be depth. Mix CAN be a true box to box but we have Bradley already. He's got better aptitude for attack in our final third than anyone in the squad except Donovan. Already. I pray he never suffers serious injury because he's star material .....

5. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    [​IMG]
    Even though we're probably way more likely to go with Jones and Bradley in the middle instead of Cameron, I really like this shape because it's reminiscient of Juergen's old 4-3-3. Obviously Diskerud is pushed higher than a typical central midfielder, but Diskerud showed that he could operate from deep just fine at the Gold Cup, particularly in the final when he came on for Holden. Mix dropping deep into the midfield and making the shape a 4-3-3 at times could lead to come good combinations if Donovan and Dempsey push onward.

6. Satray01

Satray01 New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you recall the bosnia game, Mix played the no 10. and was terrible at it. Maybe it was just off game but he was taken off at the half. But overall I like that formation/shape. It gets our best players in a position to score and/or make plays. I can see beckerman getting the nod over cameron though in the no. 6 role. I'm still not sold on Cameron in the middle. He had one decent game and then stunk it up against CR.

7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, a 10 he ain't. Love the guy, but that is not his role. I don't see him as a 6 either though. Box to box midfielder probably suits him.

8. Ironkick14

Ironkick14 Member+

Sep 29, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mix was underrated after a poor performance in Bosnia, and is now being overrated (massively, in some cases) after a good 20 minutes in Columbus, if that. Mix is a good player that might be on the World Cup roster. He's only 22 and has plenty of time to become a player worthy of starting for us. He's not there yet.

Excellency repped this.
  9. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My perception of Mix is that he doesn't handle intense pressure all that well, which makes sense since Norway isn't the most athletic league. But Mix seems to be a very good passer when he has a little time. Which is why I think he could be a great sub in the #10 position (as he was against Mexic0) because he'll have a little more time on the ball against tired legs.

10. Satray01

Satray01 New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Rip it apart. First thoughts for me are Mix's lack of experience against top teams in midfield. You know what you're going to get from beckerman, you have no idea what you're going to get from Jones; which is why I can see Mix get some minutes here.

Cameron plays RB in the best league in the world and we have no other decent RBs while Dolo and Chandler are out. I was an advocate of FJ at rightback but he failed miserably there against Mex.

Dempsey and Donovan are interchangeable, with Zusi sending in crosses from the wing. Bradley and Mix controlling the pace of the game in the middle. Thoughts?

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Won't go that far yet. Mix has gotten tougher, and he needs to move on after the WC and challenge his speed of thought. He has taken a step up, and that is a good sign. Needs to take the next one.

I was disappointed in the first half of Bosnia because I didn't think we got a fair look at what Mix might be able to do. JJ, MB and Mix were in each others way quite a bit, which made for tough play in the middle. Reminded me of when BB put Mikey, JJ and Stu in the middle together and they just ran ini each other and looked disjointed.

Was never a Mix is the man guy no matter how cool a dude he seems. However, I have seen him improve his game, and any time I see a player take a step up and commit to working hard on shortcomings (soft, defense) I take notice, and give a little more rope to them moving forward.

When I see a player stay the same for several years and never really step up his game, improve his issues, I start getting annoyed quickly.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    And his NASCAR name is Dick Mickelrude.

13. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    To be honest, nobody really looked great in that first 45 minutes in Sarajevo, but Mix was involved in two of the only serious chances that half, getting taken down in the box and releasing Altidore on a break away with some decent link-up play.

I imagine Diskerud would have show better in the second half when Fabian Johnson was moved further up the pitch and when Jones ( who was kind of struggling) was taken off for Kljestan.

He's earned at least another look 45 minute look. Don't see anyone else challenging for that spot, and we've got plenty of cover in central midfield with Jones, Bradley, Beckerman, and Cameron.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't poor against Bosnia, I think. He was just played out of position. He should of gotten a pk call that game.

ckl26 and Bob Morocco repped this.
  15. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But honestly, I don't think he's out of position there. He's either our out and out attacking midfielder, or he becomes a metronome the way Pirlo has been. We're already crowded in central midfield, so a role higher up the pitch makes the most sense.

16. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Out of Jones, Cameron and Bradley who are you the most confident in the more advanced role? I think the answer would be Bradley. I think Mix is the perfect backup to Bradley (in the more forward position in that pulley system) and Cameron is the perfect backup to Jones (both of whom stay back in a more reserved CDM role). I think if we want to talk about Mix filling the 10 spot that is certainly a legimate topic. Kid has done well for us...I think he did solid vs. Bosnia (should have drawn that PK, drew 3 fouls), Mexico (great assist), Russia (goal) and obviously his assist vs. South Africa a while back not to mention his great run of form in the Gold Cup. He seems to have a knack for the big stage and carries a good deal of confidence with him. One thing I will say I like about him in the midfield is his long ball - a definite strength of his game.

17. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I remember when Pirlo was just a ragazzino coming up in Italy, age 19 or 20, playing for the Italian U21s. He was hands down the best player on the team, but his role was more like a 10. And since 10s don't really have much of a place in the modern game, Pirlo remained at club level sort of an enigma for much of his early career. Where to play him? He seemed too soft to be an 8, let alone a 6, and yet there was never room for a 10.

Then, if I recall correctly, Carlo Ancelotti invented a new system around Pirlo, sticking him in front of the defense like a 6, but flanking him with two defensive midfielders like Gattuso and Ambrosini, and then placing a pacey, atypical 10 at the top of that diamond. A guy named Kaka'.

Basically, Ancelotti "created" the Pirlo that we all know. Pirlo changed his original, youthful approach by becoming more responsible and tougher, retooling his game to become a master distributor from deep who could also shield the defense from time to time. It was a far cry from the early Pirlo.

I could see Mix becoming a player in that mould. But frankly, I haven't seen enough of him to really tell. And to make that switch, he'd probably need to have an entire system built around him. Unlikely to happen, I suppose.

Does he play as an 8 for his club?

bungadiri repped this.
  18. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 CMs, yes please

i dont think our Goal scoring increases or decreases with an extra Mid over a F or Winger
    when facing the top teams, our scoring will have to be opportunistic
    good possession, good defense will be very important
    then we would have Jones, Zusi, Bedoya, EJ, AJ, Shea to use as subs
    good speed, good energy, good workrate (except ej) good defensive help (except ej)

donovan - altidore - dempsey
    ----- bradley --- mix
    ----------- cameron
    fab ---- besl -- omar ---- evans
    ----------- guzan

19. jigsawill

jigsawill Member

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  20. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Diskerud could be a good back up for Bradley as a #8, but I he lacks the athleticism and intensity that Bradley has in that role. He does get forward into good spots sometimes, but his overall game is that of a distributing sort of "marionette" player when he's in central midfield. He and Joe Corona played alongside eachother ahead of Alfredo Morales in a 4-3-3 for the U23 Olympic team and there were a lot of complaints about Mix's defensive ability, especially as Corona was the guy who got forward and scored goals in that trio.

He's improved since then, but his strengths still seem to lie in his skill, control, composure, guile, and vision. That's why a #10 role seems to suit him better. Offensively speaking, the team would also have some good flexibility because Mix could drop into central midfield closer to where he has been recently and give the shape a 4-3-3 look similar to what Juergen tried to do. With Donovan and Dempsey tucking in, and one of Bradley or Jones pushing forward, we should work some good combinations.

@IndividualEleven has the right idea with this shape:

[​IMG]

21. Satray01

Satray01 New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think your prototypical snarling no. 6 has lost its place in the modern game. Look at players like Carrick, Pirlo, Busquets, come to mind. They play that holding role by reading the game and controlling possession, not by tough tackling breaking players legs. I'm not saying that your gatussos and roy keanes dont have a place in a squad, but they arent a requirement anymore in a midfield.

If we're comparing bradley, jones, cameorn and Mix and where they should function in a midfield. Bradley is my no. 6 hands down. He doesnt mind getting stuck in, reads the game well, plays short and long passes well. If he's good enough to play that role for Roma, he's good enough to play for us there.

I think Mix would compliment bradley playing the pendulum. One goes up, the other one drops back.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of this generation of dual Americans is credit to Rongen & Bradley (at least for the initial discovery...JK closed the deal). Here's how Mix recalls the meeting during a Staebek-US U20 friendly:

Diskerud remembers, “I was going to take a corner kick and I think that somebody had tipped him (Rongen), or given him a tip that I had dual citizenship. So he came, he sat next to the corner flag, and just when I was about to take it he said, “hey are you Mix?” “I said, yeah.” “American passport?” (Rongen) “Yes sir,” Diskerud told Rongen.

23. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think there has been an emphasis on defensive midfielders being able to handle the ball better, allowing teams to play out of the back more, thus, increasing possession and reducing the overall defensive workload, meaning defensive midfielders don't have to have as much bite as they used to. Michael Carrick is a prime example.

That said, I really don't see why Jones can't just be told to be a #6. He's good with the ball, and he's athletically gifted so he'd have an easier time covering for Bradley than a guy like Beckerman. He would be perfect in that role.

24. Satray01

Satray01 New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

There are a couple of things Jones brings to the table each game: a ricardo clark like give away in our own 1/3, and a yellow card. Bradley is twice the midfielder Jones is and is a better holding mid IMO. Jones isnt terrible playing the no. 6, I just think Cameron, Beckerman, and Bradley are all better in that role. It also might just be his last string of games that's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Not to mention Jones will be 32 come Brazil, and he has stupid hair.

25. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Ahh, if only all professional athletes would do exactly as they are "told" to do for the entire game. I'm glad you're sure Jones will do what he's been "told".

Excellency repped this.