His name is Mix Diskerud

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FlipsLikeAPancake, Sep 10, 2013.

1. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    12" Re-Mix Disk

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I doubt we'll see Diskerud starting next year but he's definitely a lock for 3rd CM, perhaps over Cameron. I don't see Beckerman making the squad for Brazil.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Agreed. Doesn't help that they have no star players. They have Hangeland (had Riise), Pedersen, the tall striker who played for AV for a while whose name I'm forgetting. Sweden has Ibrahimovic. Denmark arguably has loads of youth talents. Finland has nobody.

4. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh, Drillo is not a good representation of where they are at. Solskjær or Ronny Deila would work fine. The U-21s just performed very impressively in the summer's UEFA Championship. Their only loss was against Spain in the semi-finals, destroying England in the process. Until Italy scored a last-minute equalizer in the final group stage game they were on their way to winning the group. Stoke they are not.

A bit off-topic, but I think Norway is actually a country we could learn from. Taking a cue from Germany, they decided that their old style wasn't working, and set out to radically change the way they play. We shouldn't be too critical because in many ways Mix is a product of the new intense pressing, high tempo, possession style they are beginning to play. This cycle is viewed as one of transition until that class of U-21s is old enough.

Zoidberg repped this.
  5. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Danish reporter said he looked like Kevin Bacon, which he does, and it stuck.

Guinho repped this.
  7. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Agree with you....but the destroying England part doesn't resonate. Why the word England still matters is simply because of money and hype. Their youth teams have been crap for decades, with the odd spurt here or there.

8. Black Tide

Black Tide Member+

Mar 8, 2007
    the 8th Dimension
    I was under the impression that his name was Robert Paulson. I guess I have been wrong all these years.

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought it was Pix

10. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The loss of Holden is really partially offset by the emergence of Mix. I know Holden has (had) things that made him outstanding, but the calmness exerted by Mix last night and his assist was just awesome to watch. Perfect sub at a perfect time.

11. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You named names. You go on the list.

12. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Thank goodness for the GC...giving Mix his chance....while others who produced nothing got dozens for no reason.

Sasha should be upset right now because he is much better than a clown still unfathomably called in.

Lichaj gets a chance...may be to late...and I'm certain he would at least be in the mix also.

Liga MX...it just ain't as good as the hype and what JK thought. Enough already. Give others a chance.

13. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're lucky that DMB got involved in Liga MX, otherwise he'd be selling his line of jewelry right now rather than giving us a workable option at LB. In terms of the Tijuana boys, one that isn't even on the radar right now seems to be on a trajectory that might see him in the USNT frame after this cycle (Arriola), so I'm not sure where he would be without Liga MX. I think Liga MX is very important for the USNT going forward as it will allow many with Mexican-American heritage to develop in a good league, as good if not better and more lucrative than MLS, and improve the depth of our team.

Zoidberg repped this.
  14. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no reason to think that Diskeruud can't play the same role for the U.S that Benny Feilheiber did in the 2010 World Cup if we go down early and need a spark from midfield.

15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #40 Zoidberg, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Agree with you. I think the Arriola kid has a real shot with my limited viewing.

My little rant was when JK came on and there was a lot of politiking and patronizing about our underutilized ignored Mex heritage players down south. We just didn't understand their sublime skill and ability, and Liga MX is so, so, so much better than MLS, or Belgium, or Norway. Dumb kick and run US. BB was to dumb to evaluate these guys.

We have gone through these "corrections" about players and leagues for a few decades now. The latest has been the
    Liga MX myth. Only top players in Liga make an international impact, and it is not so far above MLS that any joe schmo there is good enough. I just want to keep smashing this little myth because so many hung on to it, and bought into the....u just don't comprehend sophisticated soccer u dumb ignorant gringo type person.

A player is a player is a player.

MOF shouldn't be anywhere near the Nats. Absurd. Scouts, coaches, journalists...no one understands this. No one.
    JFT isn't so sublime that he must be useful internationally. Joke and lack of comprehension. Another myth.
    Corona wasn't/isn't a top tier talent who needed to be coddled like JK has coddled him like some star. Kid needs to play and work....a lot. Gil is a better more proven player, but he only plays in MLS...I would play Gil over JFT at this point because even JK realizes there is no future with his pet project. Think about it. If JFT had taken just one of his dozens of chances we probably don't see Mix. Maybe he goes back and chooses to play for Norway. He even said he was getting frustrated. That is real..it seems obvious now, but it wasn't to JK. Like I said....Sasha should be pissed. JFT couldn't get on the field for a team like Anderlecht.

I get Castillo. Wild card.

Yup, in the future MX will be important, it just wasn't hiding gems who we were to dumb to use or understand,a crowd which was pandered to a lot. I still say if JK had turned to MLS sooner we might have another promising guy or two, instead of trotting out these unqualified guys time and time again because of an agenda or their heritage.

The lesson. Learn to evaluate based on possible international skillsets...not heritage or politics.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Good for you! You spelled it correct.

It doesn't matter that DMB plays in Mexico, it is just that he is playing. His exile under Bradley was due to lack of playing time in Scotland or wherever else he sat on a bench.

17. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Who's the clown?

18. Satray01

Satray01 New Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In a years time, I can see Mix taking Jones place next to Bradley. Bradley plays the number 6 and Mix is clearly a box to box CM. Jones didnt do anything for me against CR or MEX. Jones offers very little going forward other than his occasional blast that's rarely on frame. Mix offers so much more in the final 3rd of the pitch without constantly giving the ball away like Jones does.

Maybe it was just a bad run of games for Jones, but every time he touches the ball in our 3rd, I feel like he's about to pull a Ricardo Clark and badly expose our defense.

19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I think he is a vastly improved player since going to Liga MX. Whether that is b/c he is playing or b/c of what he has learned at Puebla, I don't know. Regardless, he was floundering before he went to Mexico. Now, he is as good an option on the left side of the field as we have.

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A key question for Sir Mix A Lot: Do you like lutefisk?

21. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name is Mikkel Morgenstar Pålssønn Diskerud, but you can call him Mix.

22. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If somebody's talking about Norway like that then I'm expecting buzzwords like England to resonate. ;) But I agree with your sentiment.

23. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm not toooo positive about this. He doesn't strike me as the kind of fellow that should be doing the lung-bursting runs from box-to-box that Michael Bradley is about. He seems a much more eloquent player than that, directly impacting the game with his skill, guile, and creativity.

I DO think that a midfield spine of him as a #10, Bradley as a #8, and Beckerman as a #6 has a lot of potential for controlling the game, especially with Donovan and Dempsey wide and able to tuck in to allow interchanging of positioning and a good pass and move set up.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    FIGHT CLUB

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Smooth as silk Torres.