News: Hinchey talks sponsors, jerseys, and ticket sales

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 25, 2013.

1. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance vs Announced Attendance - totally agree, but the difference seems to be a lot closer than some of the games I recall when Plush was running the team. I think we had some 5K attendance games that were announced as 12k+ a few years back. It was embarassing at times.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No inside info that wasn't posted here around that time. The short list while Plush was still in charge included Pareja with many "rumors" indicating he was one of the top candidates. Also some talk that Bravo was really the one making the decisions during the Plush-Hinchey transition. Again though, we don't know what happened behind the scenes, especially since Hinchey seemed involved in those type of decisions as CMO. He probably did have a hand in it even while Plush as there, but I don't think it can all be laid at his feet given the timing.

All that aside, he (presumably) made the decision not to take action after last year's poor season and certainly if things go bad this year the pressure will be on him to either back Bravo/Pareja publicly again or make a move.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NY Cosmos and other lower division soccer teams (see US Cup) have Jersey sponsors Etc, But not our Rapids! Enough of this, just hang a big WalMart on the kits and be done with it.

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves 1h
    Emirates Air signs a comprehensive sponsorship deal with the New York Cosmos that includes, among other things, jersey sponsorship.

4. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I hate to admit....but when I saw this thread pop up, for the shortest nanosecond I thought 'Could it be possible?'

then as I waited for it to load I came to my senses and wondered what other team was able to get the deal done

BYLRPhil and COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i figured this would get bumped... thats ridiculous emirates for a 2nd division team?

6. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As frustrating as it is that we're still without a shirt sponsor, the Cosmos, even though 2nd division, are clearly a special case. Like it or not, the Cosmos name still has a lot of brand cachet. I've seen cosmos jerseys down here in Quito fairly regularly.

7. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you can almost, yes almost, forget about all the "broken promises"

COMtnGuy repped this.
  8. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bought an Authentic Home jersey last weekend (after the home match) at The Dick for $96 + tax. Not a season ticket holder, and no special discounts. Just thought people would want to know it's starting to be discounted... Freakin' HATE giving $96 to KSE...*sigh*

9. W.J. Marx

W.J. Marx Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Boulder, Colorado
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Them's the facts. The Cosmos have cache the Rapids don't. In 10 years the Cosmos will have Cache the Rapids won't.

Nevertheless, this does not let Hopeless Hinchey off the hook. IMO, he is nothing but a talking empty suit with no history, no present & no future. He is a lot of talk and no follow thru, no production. BUT, he is perfect for KSE. He screens Kroenke from direct public scorn which he deserves in ample helpings!!!

10. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Stop...your avatar...it's too much cuteness...overloading....

11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Hinchey has done a passable job at following through on other things...much better than any of his predecessors in fact. Even if you don't like him, you gotta take the good with the bad. Just like Pareja.

But yeah, the shirt sponsor thing really is ridiculous, and it continues to be by far the biggest failure of this organization. At this point I'm still not sure what will happen first:
    • The Rapids sign a shirt sponsor.
    • The Rapids host a U$ Open Cup game.
    • The human race will colonize Mars.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got the USOC match before Mars but its a coin flip (*rimshot*) if the shirt sponsor happens before we hot the Red Planet.

jdub3379 repped this.
  13. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    You forgot acquiring a DP (even the young & cheaper variety).

And of course the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy being allowed to get married.

(Smart money is on that Mars colony, gonna suck when their footie team -- 'Mars Rovers' -- immediately gets a shirt sponsor, even though they're in intergalactic league II -- candy bar company of course.)

14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I thought the order was shirt sponsor than there will be the money for a young DP.

BYLRPhil repped this.