High School Assignor Problem

Discussion in 'Referee' started by aek chicago, Apr 24, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Thanks for the imput.

I'm not so sure its a personal grudge as much as its a "business move"...I have NOTHING against this lady, or her husband, personally. In fact, our interactions are VERY limited and I've only personally met her once or twice.

What compelled me to post is the thought that it may be happening to others across the country. As such, what would be our alternative(s)/remedy?

What I find disconcerting is that some brush it off ho hum as just another day at the ballpark.....as if the inequity and unfairness of the situation doesn't compel some type of response and/or action. The reason things like this happen and keep happening is because of the recipients "acceptance" of the situation.

Personally, it doesn't have all that great of an effect on me because I have plenty of other games...it simply makes it more inconvenient. For some others though, it MIGHT make a bigger difference...much bigger. I've already worked with two other officials this year that have been basically blackballed by this same assignor. One of the two is a "state final official" ...... whatever that means (I would imagine it means he's been to the state finals as he's been officiating for 20+ years). Hasn't received a single game from this assignor in so long that he cant even remember exactly when the last time was...LOL.

After my last email where I advised her she's been unresponsive to several other referees emails as well, she called a ref in the neighboring state who also is badged in this state and offered him HS games...four weeks into the season. Why? My guess is that she knows I'm good friends with this officials wife, who also happens to be a USSF AND HS assignor in the neighboring state...and who MIGHT be looking to expand HER business one state over. Hasn't responded to this guy in over a year and a half but two days after my last email she calls him. Odd, to say the least.

2. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    My take is that we/AEK does not know the assignors viewpoint on this. Maybe she has very specific reasons why she does not want to use you on her games? I don't know any details about your individual situation - but let's all not just attack this lady as being biased because she isn't using a ref.

Do I think she should have a conversation with you and say "these are the reasons why I have made my decision...." ? Yes. That would be the adult thing to do. But she is choosing not to - and that's her choice.

3. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but that may be her choice, but that should result in some disciplinary action. You need to provide a legitimate reason to not assign matches to a referee. Technically, assuming all referees in the pool are competent and available to referee you should not be playing favorites or blacklisting people. It is unprofessional and should result in termination of one's duties as an assignor. There should be no bias.

4. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Here is the email interaction I had with the assignor in question regarding this issue. Outside of certain names and info being x'ed out for obvious reasons, its the VERBATIM exchange. There are one or two more emails I'm trying to dig out now and that I will post as soon as I find.

Draw your own conclusions.

xxxx...I am under no obligation nor am I required to use any official .

I may choose as I see fit.

To: xxxx
    Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:15 AM
    Subject: RE: assignments

xxxx,

I just spoke to xxxx and xxxx at the IHSA today. BOTH have confirmed, once again, that I am more than eligible to officiate IHSA games.

I find your last email quite puzzling, especially the bit about not being on an IHSA directory precluding me from getting assignments. If I am not on an IHSA directory now (and I have no idea why that in and of itself would preclude me) then I surely wasn't on an IHSA directory last fall either when you asked me what games I wanted in response to my request. I still have that email. If I was barred from doing games in the fall, why ask which games I wanted? Furthermore, I would most certainly hope any personal issues you may have with me (I think we both know what I'm referring to) have not played any role in you giving me ZERO games the last few years. I also sincerely hope that your comment "well, there are some people who have mouths to feed" in a previous telephone conversation is also not a criterion utilized in denying me games.

If there is a problem with my qualifications/ability, please let me know. I highly doubt it, though. The referee community is a small circle and we all know each other. I'm sure you're fully aware that I have refereed at much higher levels than boys high school varsity games.

Additionally, I also find it troubling that the only phone number for you listed on soccer referee websites is your xxxx home number. My understanding is you now reside in Florida, at least for certain parts of the year. I believe its incumbent on you, in fact your professional obligation, to provide current AND accessible contact info for your referees, especially given your track record of non responsonsiveness to my correspondence as well as to the contact attempts of quite a few other referees. I currently work with the following assignors: xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx and xxxx.Every single one of them has provided me with MULTIPLE current AND viable contact options, include a current phone number. The only assignor that hasn't is you. You responded to my LAST email requesting spring hs games dated March 22, 2012 TWENTY DAYS later on April 11th. That's THREE ENTIRE WEEKS, nearly half a soccer season, later. If I was missing certain requirements to do your games, why wait THREE ENTIRE WEEKS (at a minimum) to tell me?

I would also remind you that given the schools/conferences you have contracted with, your refusal to give me any games has effectively precluded me from refereeing hih school games south of 290 and in the expansive Chicago Catholic League (I live in xxxxx two miles south of 290). In my line of work that's know as an abuse of discretion/authority.

I eagerly await your resonse.

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:52:56 -0700
    Subject: Re:
    To: xxxxx

xxxx...I am responding to your email of 3/22/12...in regards to you officiating the high school games I assign, I am responsible for hiring IHSA officials in good standing with the IHSA. As of now your status is pending suspension. You joined the IHSA in Sept 08 and have never gone to a clinic. Clinics are required every 3 years that is why you are pending suspenion at this time. In 2009 and 2010 you were not on the IHSA directory as you did not pay your dues...I know that you have bought back your years of service in June 2011. but that you were out of service for 2 years 2010 & 2011. In order for me to hire an official for my games you have to be listed on the IHSA directory and you are not. You are still missing the clinic.....If you need any more information you can call the IHSA. I must go by the directory that the IHSA list.

To: xxxxx
    Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:05 PM
    Subject:

xxxxxxx,

Please be advised I'm available for high school girls and boys games. I have tried NUMEROUS e-mails and phone calls to you without a response. I also haved not received a single assignment from you in over two years. If there is a problem with my officiating or me personally, please advise. I believe high school soccer is well within my capabilities as I have reffed at significantly higher levels. I also believe that I have paid my registration fee just like everyone else.

I eagerly await your response.

5. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    One more email I just found:

xxxx,

Its either a) I'm not eligible, which directly conflicts with what the IHSA has told me and directly conflicts with assignments given to me by THREE other assignors in the relevant time period, or b) you don't give me games b/c its your choice to do so (your paraphrased words, not mine). Its one or the other, it can't be both.

Furthermore, I am NOT on a list of suspended officials (another blatant falsity) but rather PENDING suspension due to a missing clinic, which will be completed within the week......that in and of itself does not preclude me from assignments. You do realize the difference between a PENDING suspension and an actual in effect suspension, don't you?

I will await the previously mentioned full five business days for your response to my question in the previous email, then explore all options available to me.

6. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    And the last remaining part of the series of emails:

xxxx,

Just to confirm the series of events related to my assignment of IHSA games by you.

I have not been assigned ANY soccer games to officiate (Boys, Girls, Frosh, Soph, JV, Varsity) by you AFTER I ceased utilizing your husbands brokerage, xxxx, for my insurance needs sometime in 2010. I am fairly certain you can easily track the date of my last assignment with you, as well as the date I ceased utilizing iunsurance coverage provided through your husbands company.

Please either confirm or deny the above statement within five (5) business days of receipt of this correspondence. If you fail to respond, I will take your silence as a confirmation of the above statement. A simple confirm or deny will suffice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:28:57 -0700
    Subject: Re: assignments

xxxx...I am under no obligation nor am I required to use any official .

I may choose as I see fit.

xxxx

Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:15 AM
    Subject: RE: assignments

xxxx,

I just spoke to xxxx and xxxx at the IHSA today. BOTH have confirmed, once again, that I am more than eligible to officiate IHSA games.

I find your last email quite puzzling, especially the bit about not being on an IHSA directory precluding me from getting assignments. If I am not on an IHSA directory now (and I have no idea why that in and of itself would preclude me) then I surely wasn't on an IHSA directory last fall either when you asked me what games I wanted in response to my request. I still have that email. If I was barred from doing games in the fall, why ask which games I wanted? Furthermore, I would most certainly hope any personal issues you may have with me (I think we both know what I'm referring to) have not played any role in you giving me ZERO games the last few years. I also sincerely hope that your comment "well, there are some people who have mouths to feed" in a previous telephone conversation is also not a criterion utilized in denying me games.

If there is a problem with my qualifications/ability, please let me know. I highly doubt it, though. The referee community is a small circle and we all know each other. I'm sure you're fully aware that I have refereed at much higher levels than boys high school varsity games.

Additionally, I also find it troubling that the only phone number for you listed on soccer referee websites is your xxxx home number. My understanding is you now reside in Florida, at least for certain parts of the year. I believe its incumbent on you, in fact your professional obligation, to provide current AND accessible contact info for your referees, especially given your track record of non responsonsiveness to my correspondence as well as to the contact attempts of quite a few other referees. I currently work with the following assignors: xxxxxxxxxxxxx.Every single one of them has provided me with MULTIPLE current AND viable contact options, include a current phone number. The only assignor that hasn't is you. You responded to my LAST email requesting spring hs games dated March 22, 2012 TWENTY DAYS later on April 11th. That's THREE ENTIRE WEEKS, nearly half a soccer season, later. If I was missing certain requirements to do your games, why wait THREE ENTIRE WEEKS (at a minimum) to tell me?

I would also remind you that given the schools/conferences you have contracted with, your refusal to give me any games has effectively precluded me from refereeing hih school games south of 290 and in the expansive Chicago Catholic League (I live in xxxx two miles south of 290). In my line of work that's know as an abuse of discretion/authority.

I eagerly await your resonse.

xxxx

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 18:52:56 -0700
    Subject: Re:

xxxx...I am responding to your email of 3/22/12...in regards to you officiating the high school games I assign, I am responsible for hiring IHSA officials in good standing with the IHSA. As of now your status is pending suspension. You joined the IHSA in Sept 08 and have never gone to a clinic. Clinics are required every 3 years that is why you are pending suspenion at this time. In 2009 and 2010 you were not on the IHSA directory as you did not pay your dues...I know that you have bought back your years of service in June 2011. but that you were out of service for 2 years 2010 & 2011. In order for me to hire an official for my games you have to be listed on the IHSA directory and you are not. You are still missing the clinic.....If you need any more information you can call the IHSA. I must go by the directory that the IHSA list.

xxxx

Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:05 PM
    Subject:

xxxx,

Please be advised I'm available for high school girls and boys games. I have tried NUMEROUS e-mails and phone calls to you without a response. I also haved not received a single assignment from you in over two years. If there is a problem with my officiating or me personally, please advise. I believe high school soccer is well within my capabilities as I have reffed at significantly higher levels. I also believe that I have paid my registration fee just like everyone else.

I eagerly await your response.

7. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You may want to read the above posts and/or the entire thread again before making any such assertions.

She has already had several e-mail conversations with me regarding why she doesn't use me.

In fall of 2011 she asked me which games I wanted (even though I was theoretically on the same "pending suspension" list)...and then proceeded to give me NONE.

In spring of 2012 she tells me, for the first time in two years, that the reason she isn't using me is because I'm on a pending suspension list. When I advise her in a subsequent email that the IHSA considers me "cleared" to officiate and that I've been receiving games from three other assignors in the relevant time period, she changes her tune and says I assign as I see fit (paraphrasing).

Draw your own conclusions.

I suggest you read the entire thread before interjecting yourself prematurely once again.

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Here's an email sent from my Blackberry to an alternate email address for the assignor in question on April 12, 2012:

XXXX Your information is somewhat incorrect. I attended an ihsa clinic at xxxxx hs in 08 or 09. Furthermore, my dues are all paid up, I've passed the ihsa test online and am doing whatever class is required online. Whatever has prevented you from giving me games apparently hasn't stopped xxxx from giving me both boys and girls games this past fall and now in the spring. I've also been assigned games in the same time span by xxxx and xxxx, but had to decline them for work related reasons. I talked to xxxx at the ihsa a few weeks ago and she advised me I could do games with my present status. Not sure what the hold up is, but I do appreciate the response. I wasn't sure if u were still in the area since I've called your home phone repeatedly without a response. As I informed u via email numerous times in the past, I now live in the west suburbs and most of the games you assign are a short drive from my home. If there is a problem with my ability, performance and/or qualiffications, please advise and I will bother you no further.

There's one more missing email I'm looking for. As sson as I find it I will post.

9. QuietCoach

QuietCoach Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Littleton, MA
    There's a saying in American politics, channeling Abraham Lincoln even if he didn't say it: Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it. This exchange of e-mails resembles mud wrestling and seems unlikely to have a more productive outcome.

Do you really think the next one will say, " Dear xxxxx, I see your point. I was being petty and was confused about the Pending Suspension status. Now that you have explained it to me, I will assign you again, starting with a 2-game set next week if you are available. Please confirm."

I don't think so. Maybe you're right, and her motivation is related to the insurance business. Maybe it's personal; she doesn't like you (especially after this e-mail exchange). Maybe she feels insecure being so far away and prefers referees she can more readily control. Maybe she considers you over-qualified. Whatever the reason(s), arguing with her by phone or e-mail is counter-productive.

You wanted advice, and you've gotten some excellent options. You could lie low for a season or two, hope she forgets all about this (maybe already too late), and blend back into the crowd of available referees. You could ask school officials to intercede on your behalf. You could encourage other assignors to bid for her job or even become an assignor yourself. You could organize some sort of protest, boycott, or labor strike. Or you could let it go, for now, and focus your energies elsewhere. Whatever you decide, please stay out of the mud.

- QC

10. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Let me clarify, because it seems there's some confusion. I took a hiatus from reffing in her state for two years because I had moved to another state. She knew this, as my insurance policy with her husbands firm reflects this and I told her as much in person. Therefore, there was NO REASON for me to pay dues in her state when I wasn't going to ref there. Two years ago I decided to move back and began the process in her state all over again.

I paid all my dues.

I took and passed all my tests.

I attended an in person clinic in '08. Her assertion that I never attended a clinic is a blatant lie as I did so at a local high school....and SHE handed me the registration in person in the school auditorium. Furthermore, I am taking the remaining clinic for this year on line. I have confirmed with the state and THREE OTHER ASSIGNORS, all of whom give me games, that this in and of itself doesn't affect my eligibility to ref games. Not sure how much clearer this can be. It hasn't stopped ANY of the other assignors from giving me games in the same time period.

Furthermore, to assert this is unprofessional on my part is offensive, to say the least. I took a two year hiatus from her state for a very good reason that she was fully aware of. When I reapplied in her state I did everything required to be eligible. I asked her for games at the time and she said "which ones you want?" And then proceeded to give me NONE. If there was some bar on my eligibilty, why would she be asking me which games I want? Why wouldn't she tell me I'm ineligible then (fall 2011)?

I ask her for games again this spring before the girls season in NUMEROUS emails...and she waits until three weeks into the season to respond to me and claim there's some imaginary bar to my eligibilty. Why not tell me this a couple of weeks before the season when she was sending out assignments?

Nonetheless, the fact that she replies she's not obligated to give me games AFTER I advised her the state told me I'm eligible basically shoots whatever credibilty she had in her stated rationale right down the toilet. Either she doesn't want to give me games (for whatever reason) OR I'm not eligible. Its one or the other, not both.

I realize that posting all the emails can't sufficiently recapture the sequence of events as they're not chronologically posted. It very hard to follow as posted. Nonetheless, if you closely scrutinize them, you can see that I directed my comments to her in a positive an professional manner...and only AFTER she told me its her preorgative to whom she gives games did I mention her husbands business relationship with me. At this point, I realized I was NEVER going to get games from her and accepted that fact. Nor was I interested in convincing her to give me games at that point. If I was trying to convince her to give me games, I wouldn't have sent the last emails. I simply was creating a documented paper trail.

11. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    Reading this thread reminds me of the situation described to me by a friend who officiates high school basketball. He has been a basketball official for more than 20 years and is well enough respected that he can get assigned to games late in the state tournament - including a state final this year. He cannot get games from his local assignor, and during the regular season ends up traveling significant distances to call games.

The local assignor is a charter member of the good ole boys network. He has set up his own little fiefdom and is the master of all he surveys. Each summer he hosts a basketball camp and needs people to officiate games during or at the end of the camp. He "invites" officials in the area to come and help cover the games. He tells these officials that this should be considered training for the upcoming season, and they will not be paid for their time. It doesn't matter that there are officials with many years of experience (rec, high school, AAU), they still need to work for free to be trained. Now maybe this allows the assignor to keep the cost of the camp lower, or maybe he just increases his profit margin by not paying referees, but they work for free.

When the high school season comes around, surprise, surprise, the majority of assignments in his district go to referees who worked the summer camp. My friend, despite his skill and recognition, has declined to play the game and does not get to officiate locally. Pointing out his qualifications to the assignor has had zero effect on the situation. While no doubt some of the games are officiated by lesser referees, the assignor gets the games covered, the schools are satisfied (as far as I know), and the beat goes on.

Of course part of what allows this abuse/injustice/racket to go on is the complicity of the referees. With a surplus of people wanting to officiate, there are enough willing to play the assignor's game to get their yearly assignments. If the referees got together and refused to cooperate, the practice of requiring this "training" would have to end. But it hasn't happened yet, shows no sign of changing, and even if it did the assignor would still be free to give the best games to his buddies.

My friend is not exactly a quiet guy, and he doesn't take this situation lightly. But whether it is because he has made his own set of enemies or the assignor has powerful friends, nothing has changed for years and doesn't appear likely to. There is no doubt though that my friend's less-than-cordial interactions with the assignor have assured that he will never see the inside of a gym in this district, except from the bleachers.

12. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, you are quite passionate about this. The only course of action is to keep your documentation and seek out a lawyer. Out of professional courtesy I would let the IHSA know your intentions. That's just the way our society works. If you want change, threaten legal action. Open an ethics investigation.

13. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    I'm not from Illinois so I don't know the importance of the IHSA clinic and when you are required to take the clinic but 2008 seems a long time ago. From the information you provided, it appears to me that this is the beginning of the conflict between you and this assignor in regards to getting games assigned to you. Since you were not registered the previous two years it sounds like the transition back to "active status" could have been handled better and your "pending suspension" status didn't help either.

I am not going to defend this assignor but everyone knows that you do not always get all the games you want from every assignor. You've been away from this assignor for two years and apparently you are no longer on her A list (or B or C or ...). You had added complications with your insurance dealings. She lives out of state part of time. She is hard for you to get in touch with. The list goes on.

Just because you want the games from this assignor, doesn't mean you will get them especially if she has an abundant supply of qualified referees to pick from.

You may want to reconsider your use of all caps in your posts (and your e-mails). In my opinion it comes across as being provocative and does not set a positive tone for discussion.

14. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Lawyer? LOL...I think I know one in the family.;)

15. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I don't want, or expect, any games from this assignor. I don't need the games and gave up on the idea a while ago. I simply wanted ideas about what if anything could be done in case I encountered a situation like this again.

p.s. My interactions with this assignor were VERY cordial and professional....until she flip flopped on her rationale for not assigning me games. At that point, she started insulting my intelligence. I have no problems whatsoever with any of the other dozen or so assignors I work with throughout various levels. None whatsoever. Even the ones who don't give me the games I want...its their prerogative. None of them, however, have put a $4,000.00/yr price tag on giving me games.

16. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    There was no "beginning of conflict" with the assignor. She knows full well that
    three other assignors (one of who competes with her for games/conferences) give me games without the clinic having been completed. The clinic is not a bar to doing games, its simply an avenue for her to rationalize the retribution she's meting out. If it in fact was the real reason she wasn't giving me games a) it would have held true for the three other assignors who gave me games in the relevant time period, and b) she would have simply told me get the clinic done and I'll give you games....not the flip flop to "I assign as I please".

I didn't ask her for any particular games.

But.....a) I got games from her BEFORE I terminated the insurance coverage, and

b) you obviously haven't seen some of the high school refs in Illinois, especially the ones she uses.

Let me explain it this way...two of the guys that went to and worked the state finals (Final Four) have run lines for me in Mens Amateur games. And those two guys, IMO, were head and shoulders better than the others.

17. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I appreciate the input and advice.

Nonetheless I really wasn't looking to get games from her...I realized I wasn't going to get any early on. I simply was looking for advice on other available options in case I ever encountered this situation again.

Instead, I got dissertations on the appropriateness of my emails. The emails became contentious after she gave me the line about "I assign as I please". At that point I could care less whether I offended her.

I find it quite ironic that in a referee forum some are looking to rationalize and/or explain away this blatant abuse of discretion/authority instead of expressing their dismay and attempting to find solutions in order to prevent further similar abuses in the future.