High School Assignor Problem

Discussion in 'Referee' started by aek chicago, Apr 24, 2012.

1. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    While I don't do many youth matches any more, I still do some high school games as a nice break from my more competitive contests. I've run into a problem with a local assignor that handles most of the schools/conferences near where I live. Namely, she hasn't given me a single game (Boys, Girls, Freshman, Sophomores, JV, Varsity) in over two years. Ironically, two years ago is when I stopped using her husbands insurance firm for my business and personal coverage.

I've sent her repeated emails with my availability and she finally stated she was under no obligation to use me and could assign whoever she saw fit. I've talked to the relevant administrator in the state high school association and he basically told me there's not much they could do about it as she has contracts/agreements with the individual schools/conferences. This seems quite strange to me as the authority to assign high school games is granted by the state association and this clearly seems like an abuse of discretion/power.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Quad237

Quad237 Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well unless you have some concrete proof that she is blackballing you for retribution I don't see you having much luck arguing a violation of assignor ethics.

Like she said assignors have no obligation to use a referee, and can assign whoever they see fit to do the matches. As long as all the matches she has to assign are filled by qualified referees she is fulfilling her obligations.

Sounds like there is bad blood between you two, your best bet is to maybe have another referee or assignor who is on better terms with her speak on your behalf.

3. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    There is really no advice here because the state hs assoc can claim she is fulfilling her job because the assignments are getting filled with NFHS certified refs. You might want to look at another assignor, which probably creates more travel.

4. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of the refs that she does use are your friends? They don't have to work for her either. If she gets put in a tight spot due to lack of officials she may start thinking about reconsidering her strategy.

5. whyref

whyref Member

May 26, 2006
    aek chicago wrote; I've sent her repeated emails with my availability and she finally stated she was under no obligation to use me and could assign whoever she saw fit.

I am left wonder, if the above statement is accurate, does she not realize that by conversational practice she has already indicated that she is predisposed not to use you? Not a smart statement on her part if you have a positive track record.

Have to agree with others here but am left to wonder if your referee association would be the better route to go.

6. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Well, let me clarify a bit.

I stopped using her husbands firm in 2010 when I obtained insurance through another broker for appx $4,000.00 a year less. No hard feelings, I simply went elsewhere with my business when time came to renew.

I was on an inactive list in her state until last year when I paid my dues and passed my test. As part of the process, I also had to take a class which I missed. I'm in the process of doing so online, so my status is listed as PENDING suspension, even though I've confirmed from the state I'm eligible to do games and have been so since last year. In fact, since last fall I have been given numerous games by three other high school assignors.

I emailed her last fall and asked her for games. Her initial response was "which games do you want?" Never heard back from her.

This spring well in advance of the season, I emailed her again for games...along with placing numerous telephone calls to her and leaving messsages on her recording device (she NEVER answers her ONLY listed phone). My last email to her was the week before the season started.

THREE WEEKS LATER (halfway through the season) I get an email response stating I'm not eligible to do games. I call the state association and they specifically rebut this assertion so I email the assignor back with this info (including who I spoke to) and she responds via email that she is under no obligation to use me or anyone else.

Now I understand about her being under no obligation to use me, but its seems like she has contradicted herself here. Furthermore, even though she has contracts directly with the schools/conferences, her authority and/or license to assign is granted via a PUBLICLY FUNDED entity, namely, the state high school asociation. I would imagine that there has to do be SOME accountability when one receives such a public benefit/entitlement. This isn't your classic private enterprise scenario.

7. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA
    Does Her Husband's agency have more than one company. If your insurance renewal is coming around again see if he can now match/beat your current price. I am an insurance agent/broker, many times I can not get a company to offer better pricing on commercial insurance until I have written offer or actual policy with lower pricing. If He can now get you a better price move your business back. If he can not then I am sure that his wife can not give you $4,000 worth of assignments so just forget about it.

Is it "right" that an assignor may be withholding assignments due to "outside" business interests? No it is not right. Does it happen? You bet it does.

Of course you do live in Chicago, what do you expect form a quasi governmental agency. Corruption and payola are the way of life, hence things being operated "The Chicago way".

8. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    #1. The quasi governmental agency is located in Bloomington, not Chicago. Nonetheless, they appear to be in my corner.

#2. We're talking about HIGH SCHOOL athletics.

9. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    I don't think you can move forward on any front until all your t's are crossed. She can just say she doesn't want to run afoul of any rules or regs--which may be true--without your status being wrapped up in a bow.

I'd lay off any communication till next fall. At that point, I'd email and say "Hi. I am good to go."

10. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    I appreciate that this is frustrating and, apparently, unfair, although not having your status shown as eligible to do games isn't helping your case any.

The assignor is an independent contractor, who is contracting with independent contractors to referee soccer games. As I've had to tell a number of referees, "I can't make the assignor like you." Unless you can prove that you are not being assigned because of race, religion, gender, ethnicity, et al., you really don't really have any basis to appeal to others to overrule her. I'm sure you've signed some form that says something like "being a high school sports official is a privilege and not a right....." This is where that comes back to bite you.

Not the answer you want, but it is what it is.

11. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    In my neck of the woods, there is one more layer. Both referee and assignor must belong to a registered/approved association. Schools actually contract with the associations, not individual assignors.

To remain in good standing, associations must meet certain guidelines. One of those is to have certain working committees. And one of those is somehthing called "Assignment" or words to that effect. It's sole purpose is to provide some level of oversight of the assignor's work.

Bottom line, if I were in your shoes, I could appeal to my association that I was being treated unfairly by the assignor.

12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    I don't mean this as a flip answer, but I think about situations such as these as "heavenly ham" problems.

When a person in charge of choosing something makes a choice, it is seldom fair or arbitrary. You must compete to be chosen. The fact that you took money away from her puts you at the bottom of her list. Your other attributes are not enough to move you off that spot.

But, you don't have to stay there. All you need to do is to elevate yourself. Not professionally. I'm talking favors.

Thank goodness, but my work isn't by referral generally. But people who want referrals from me send me stuff at Christmas. Like heavenly ham. Popcorn cans. Does it make a difference? Not to me really, but I've been around long enough to know that it can indeed make a big difference, especially to those as petty as the assignor of which you speak.

It may sound totally cheesy, but If you want the emperor of a tiny kingdom to look at you favorably, try a small tribute.

13. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I AM eligible to do games. PENDING suspension and actually BEING suspended are two different things. This has been CONFIRMED by the state association admininstrator...and I have received games from not one, not two, but THREE other assignors in the same time period. Eligibility is NOT an issue.

As far as the assignor being an independent contractor, true...but she's contracting with PUBLICLY funded institutions via authority granted to her by a PUBLICLY funded state association. I would imagine that the PUBLICLY funded state association through which her authority flows to assign games has a duty to ensure that abuses of discretion do NOT occur. No?

As far as the "basis for discrimination", I'm not bringing an equal protection claim against her, nor am I bringing a claim in front of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Therefore, being discriminated against based on a suspect or even semi suspect class is irrelevant. I'm claiming an abuse of discretion/authority by someone who receives a publicly funded entitlement/benefit. My class status is irrelevant.

The assignor NOT LIKING me has nothing to do with it. I received games from her PRIOR to terminating insurance coverage with her husbands firm. I have received NONE since then. Nor is my performance or qualification(s) an issue. An objective person can draw whatever conclusion he/she wants from that. Keep in mind that in the state in question there are three, sometimes four levels of play (freshman, sophomore, JV, varsity).

You/she can look for whatever "out" may be available, but the facts clearly point to a pay for play/tax scenario with public proceeds/entitlements. In the state in question, people go to federal prison for things of that nature (not implying THIS scenario is the same or similar enough, but I think my point has been made).

14. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Unless there is something about high school that you prefer to U15-U19 club games, I'd just do the club games. I'm certainly sympathetic to you not wanting to drive farther to work with other high school assignors. However, the IHSA is a private non-profit, so official corruption laws don't apply. Private sector bribery/payola is basically legal.

If you're willing to run a line, my understanding is that assignors around here need adult linesmen for older club games.

If you want to complain, I'd start here. This guy is apparently IHSA administrator in charge of officials: http://www.ihsa.org/AbouttheIHSA/AdministrativeSupportStaff/CraigAnderson.aspx Just keep in mind that complaining will make her even less inclined to use you.

15. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I work ALL the major adult mens amateur leagues in the Chicago area, both as cr and ar. I also work the NISL Premiership, MRL, NDL, etc......I have PLENTY of games. I just like doing high schools every so often as a break from more competitive matches. For example, I have three mens major division amateur matches and a mens open cup contest in the next four days...plus college spring games. I'd like something a little more relaxing, for lack of a better term, as a change of pace every so often.

16. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    That's who I talked to...and he was very sympathetic to my plight. FWIW, I've basically given up on her giving me games. I know she will not. I have PLENTY of other games.

At this point though, its a matter of principle, especially after I aksed her (in writing) to confirm or deny that she has failed to give me a single game since I ceased using her husbands insurance firm. No answer.

17. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Btw, didn't realize the IHSA was private non profit. Thanks for the info.

18. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There's always the less competitive YSSL & IWSL games. You can also complain to the conference offices the high school assignor works for I guess.

19. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The "Pending Suspension" term next to your name may be the only excuse she has. Yes, yes, it's not the same thing as actually being suspended, but if the assignor is looking for an excuse to not use you, there it is. Again, not saying that she's right, just that getting that fixed, on the records, can only help your cause.

Whether she's assigning public schools or private schools doesn't matter. She's not an employee of a public institution. The schools have contracted with her to assign games. As an independent contractor, not a school system employee, she can use anyone she wants, as long as she isn't discriminating on the basis of 'protected class.' (i.e. race, religion, et al.) Other than that, she has total discretion. She can choose not to use you because you are too tall, too short, gave too many cards last year, wear socks that she doesn't like, etc. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying that she's doing a good job, from the referee perspective, but her customers are the schools, not the referees. They are the ones she has to satisfy. Follow the money. You say that this is a 'pay to play' situation but you'll need evidence that referees who are getting games are somehow crossing her palm with silver. Otherwise, your claim isn't going to get the time of day.

I hear your frustration. Please understand that I'm not trying to defend her. I've had similar situations with assignors. But taking the approach that you have a right to be assigned to these games is not going to get you assignments. If you were her, what could someone do to change your mind?

20. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Do you have to actually to personally know your high school assignors to get games? Where I live we have three assignors for our area and most referees have never physically met their assignors in person or even talked to them over the phone.

What I'm saying is just make a fake name. Say you are new in town. You are looking for games. Then tell the guys you do games with to not rat you out.

I doubt your assignor will go to the games and watch, especially with so many games on so many nights.

21. Helen09

Helen09 New Member

Apr 8, 2012
    [​IMG]Well unless you have some concrete proof that she is blackballing you for retribution I don't see you having much luck arguing a violation of assignor ethics.

22. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I'm fully aware of the less competitive game options available to me. Games aren't the issue.

23. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I wouldn't risk my reputation, or name, for a high school game. Plus, what badge would I be able to wear and what ID number would I gie to get paid? Not even a remore possibility or consideration.

FWIW, the assignor in question doesn't even live in the state...she lives in Florida.

24. aek chicago

aek chicago Member

Sep 17, 2004
    If I had CONCRETE proof I wouldn't have bothered posting this thread. Nonetheless, many men have went to the electric chair based solely on circumstantial evidence. The circumstances are these: I received games from her BEFORE I terminated coverage with her husbands firm. I have received ZERO games from her since then with two years more experience and glowing evaluations from coaches last year.

25. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I don't know how it works in Chicago, but where I live all is regard to join the local high school chapter and get a badge is some form of ID a mailing address and getting a 70 on an open book test.

When we go to the games we fill out paper work with the school district. We put our name, address, and SS#. I highly doubt the people who do the payroll will go and verify to who was supposed to do the assignment.

I know it's not really feasible or even legally sound to do that.

Just go and work for a different assignor. You at least will get more money due to mileage (do you guys get mileage in Chicago)?