HFA Tournament (next supporter's group activity!)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by yanks02, Mar 6, 2006.

1. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone also remember to bring chairs. We should be under the Dynamo tent, or we can find a shady spot, but I doubt we'll have chairs.

ETA: Also, remember to bring your $10 for your supporter's gorup dues if you haven't already!

2. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a smallish cooler that I'll stock with water, Coke, and adult beverages and my camp chair should do the trick.

See everyone tomorrow.

3. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to Wal Mart tonight and stocked up on hot dog buns, hot dogs, all the fixings, chips, napkins, cokes, and water. We should be good on food for tomorrow.

4. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a medium-ish cooler, will stock w/ ice, a pack of dogs, buns (if we need 'em - I don't like showing up without food to help out!), water and the ultimate in BBQ delicacies - the Polska Kielbasa. :D

And three backyard patio furniture chairs, too. Will try to get there as early as possible, will depend on little fordfjord being up - and amicable - as to exactly when. I've got a bottle of scotch in front of me now, but I'll probably still be up at 6:00 or so...

5. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but I notice you aren't bringing that to the festivities tomorrow. For shame. ;)

6. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but then, I did not specify that I was not bringing it, either... ;)

Besides, when I sit down with a bottle, I try to do it justice by finishing it off. Not happening tonight - I'm pleasantly toasted right now, and still have quite a ways to go in bottoming out. So don't be surprised should it appear (in some form) tomorrow. :D

Cheers, and good night. See y'all in a few hours.

7. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, so I said I was going to get there at 10, but it's looking more like 10:30 or 11. It's so early to wake up on a Saturday! :(

See y'all out there!

8. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I had a blast today. I think that most of us can agree that we need to get rid of any Dynamo reps, along with CeltTexan, and we will be able to sell more tickets. ;)

I was a goomba, and left my camera at home this time, so posted pictures will have to depend on others. Sorry.

We talked with lots of people today, both about the team as well as ourselves. Passed out flyers for the Texian Army, and turned in money to our treasurer for the first-game-day T-shirts. (Where to next, then - Aruba? :p) Got lots of support for the "1836" moniker, but then, we already knew we would. Maybe some day they can change it back, say, after a certain SSS deal is done, perhaps?

Saw lots of great footy action out on the pitches, to boot. Some teams were slick, well-oiled machines, others looked like our Texian Army Kick-Arounds (mismatched, out-of-shape, sweaty guys running around). Funky scoring system for the first round - not just the typical 3 points for a win, 1 for a tie, and 0 for a loss. Tomorrow will be the final rounds, using the results of todays games, of course.

I left CeltTexan and Yanks02 planning for the first ever Texian Army tailgate party in 8 days. Yes, 8 days 'til our first Dynamo game, folks! Get your tickets, and join us in section 113 for the first of many happy memories to be shared!

All around a fun time today. If you missed it... well, all I can say is, is you missed out.

9. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pictures!

Allright, we had a lovely time out at Bear Creek today!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250022.jpg
    Fordfjord, Dre00, Mrs. Numero Dos, Gypsy and Stumpy (dogs not the kid ;) ), Little Fordfjord, Numero Dos, Brian Rizzo (Houston Dynamo rep).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250023.jpg
    FuBoy and little FuBoy

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250024.jpg
    Our grill maestros, Numero Dos and CeltTexan

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250025.jpg
    FuBoy, little FuBoy, Evan, and DrLudicrous

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250026.jpg
    Rizzo, Numero Dos, little Fordfjord, Celt

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250027.jpg
    Look Ma! He's really eating!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/johnna02/P3250028.jpg
    The cutest picture ever. I love how they both are sitting exactly the same way!

10. Lark Howorth

Lark Howorth Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Houston, TX
    That looks like a great time. My alibi is that my wife and I went on a pilgrimmage to Washington on the Brazos. It was stunning weather and the bluebonnets were out in force. I won't bore you with details or elaboration, but for me, a native Texan, the whole trip through that area was pretty moving. It was moving for my wife as well, even though she's from New Mexico. As someone who had a relative as a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence (Wm. Carroll Crawford), I've always had an emotional tie to Texas history, though not with the academic rigor of some of you, like Celt. However, with the whole 1836 MLS incident, I really was boiling a little underneath at moments, standing on the Brazos River, in the middle of it all, and knowing that part of this history, my history, was successfully censored. With 1836 changing to Dynamo, I've strangely gotten a lot more interested in Texas' history.

Anyway, it really was a spectacular journey (including the incredible chicken fried steak for lunch at a run-down general store along a farm road outside Washington). Sorry for the deviation from direct discussion of the HFA event, but I thought about you guys as we drove by Bear Creek headed northwest.

11. KotWF

KotWF Member

Jun 13, 2003
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pictures!

Looks like y'all had much better time out at the park today than I had judging a class 1A UIL Social Studies competition... and the food was probably better too.

12. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lark! Was that you that left the note on my windshield out at NASA?
    Thanks, I think! I notice that you also happened to get a sidelong shot of that guy in the Dallas Burn jersey in that photo... :mad:

13. Lark Howorth

Lark Howorth Member

Nov 18, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, that was me. For the rest of you guys, you have got to see fordfjord's rear windshield if you haven't already--completely covered in Houston 1836--graffitti(?). I've gotten into more discussions with co-workers down at NASA who've seen his vehicle in the parking lot outside Mission Control wondering what "They Came and Took It" means! I even have a co-worker who normally would normally have no involvement, was so incensed by the 1836 change that he went and bought an 1836 T-shirt from Acadamy, just out of protest.

Anyway, sorry I haven't called back yet--I've been trying to get some prep done for this Soyuz mission this week.

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great job!

Any word on when those orange Dynamo t-shirts some folks in the pics were wearing are going to be available at Academy or Soccer4All or such?

15. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I got mine at the Soccer4All in the Village last Friday.

16. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ooh fordfjord, I want to see that...for obvious reasons! :)

17. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excellent. Thanks!

18. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted a pic of it (in a thread that nosnehpets started) when I added "They Came and Took It!":

[​IMG]

It's still there, too.

19. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights

Ford...dude...enough flare on your van or what? :)

20. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unless there's at least 15 pieces.

21. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's just the bare minimum. Do you want to only do the base minimum?

22. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, no! Consider it a work in progress. My wife hates it - vehicles are a means of transportation, not travelling billboards. Her Caravan is red, and has dark tinted windows - I could do so much with that, if only she would let me...

And its not just a van - that is my Chickmobile! :D

[groove] "Hey, Baby... Wanna ride?" [/groove]