Hey St. Louis - Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'St. Louis City SC' started by Sport Billy, May 23, 2008.

1. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too long ago anything outside of E. STL-Belleville was "rural" St. Clair county. It is crazy how some of those other cities are expanding.

2. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever. At least WerderBremenYankee is from out-of-state. I wouldn't expect him to like Imo's. You, on the other hand, have no excuse.

Besides, didn't you know that Chicago deep dish stunts your growth...?:p

3. Basque21

Basque21 New Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Club:
    CA Osasuna

"OH NO HE DIDNT!" :D

4. Guy Fawkes

Guy Fawkes Member

Nov 22, 2006
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoops, hadn't seen this. I'm Sam. I'm a student at Mizzou and a huge fan of the sport. I support Arsenal, and when the St. Louis team comes around, it will be one of the best days of my life.

5. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brought to you by Imo's, the official pizza of people who steal your children...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243612,00.html

Of course, that means more for you. Enjoy the thin crust!

6. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My real name is Paul. I was born in St. Louis and grew up in East Saint Louis and Belleville. I did my undergraduate work at Mizzou. I played football, basketball and ran track. I put my son in AYSO soccer when he was 5 because it was the first organized sport he could play. I thought he would play till he was old enough to play "real" sports. He scored 6 goals in his first game and he fell in love with the sport. As he moved up the chain in travel soccer I started taking more of an interest in the game. I bought a satellite dish and started watching the EPL. We started attending DC United and University of Maryland games. I started reading Big Soccer to learn more about the sport. I fell in love with soccer. I now TiVO and watch at least 5 games a week. My son and I went to the World Cup in Germany. My son is attending college next year with a soccer scholarship.
    I have been a DC United fan due originally to proximity, than due to the passion of the fan base and ultimately because of the beautiful possession game they have played the last few years (I also like Arsenal for that latter reason). I am still a huge fan of all St. Louis sports teams and will become a supporter of St. Louis United when they start playing.
    I like most beers. I usually prefer foreign beers(Grolsch, Paulaner, Guiness or Tetley's) but I always have some AB product in the fridge. I used to live down near the brewery after college and I loved the smell of yeast in the morning, it always meant the St. Louis economy was still humming along. While I like beer you are much more likely to see me with a glass of single malt scotch in my hand.

By the way I live on the beach in So Cal so the first time St. Louis United visits the HDC to play the Gals we will have a huge beach BBQ at my house.

7. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, the first thing my family does when we get off the plane at Lambert is to either find an Imos, a White Castle or Steak N Shake.

Yes we have food issues.

8. bellysk8er2005

bellysk8er2005 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    WoW!! lol that a new short joke lol ill give creidt for that one(stands and claps) well done sir well done

9. Adiaga_2

Adiaga_2 Member

St. Louis City SC
    Aug 30, 2007
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I felt compelled to take a shot in response to your Jeffco/hoosier remark, but it's all good.

Now I have to get back to shootin' beer cans off the top of my El Camino...

10. bellysk8er2005

bellysk8er2005 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    like i said it were i live and trust me i been to some areas in jeffco where they probpley where shooting cans off the el camino

11. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing is you don't shoot beer cans off of your own El Camino. You shoot beer cans off of someone else's El Camino, while sitting in the back of yours.

12. mitchs3

mitchs3 Member

Jan 17, 2007
    STL
    My real world name is Steve. I was born in StL Mo, grew up in the Metro East (primarily Alton) and graduated from Alton High. Played soccer all the while while growing up, and a little club soccer in college. Now live in West County. Really loved coaching my daughter's teams -- rekindled my interest and passion for the game.

Not a drinker so I don't have a dog in that fight. I also don't care much for Imo's even though born and bred here (gimme Fortel's any day of the week; deep dish is good, too).

Don't really follow any euro teams, although I guess if forced I'd say Bayern Munich just from watching "Soccer Made in Germany" on Channel 9 back in the day.

I remember when my youth team went to see the Stars at Francis Field; I think I was at the Pele game at Busch, too, but I don't have my ticket stub.

13. sharmon

sharmon New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    So IL
    Bit late on the roll call, but might as well add to it.

Name is Stephen. Grew up in Jerseyville, IL (so I too am excited at the prospect of Collinsville). Currently in Champaign after undergrad at Illinois, and will be in Carbondale next year starting medical school at SIU.

Played soccer since grade school and continue today. Accustomed to playing defense but prefer not to. Have recently grown in my love of watching the game (both domestic and international). Not really too specific on teams, but support teams with Americans abroad and of course the USMNT.

Random factoid is that I discovered this board last summer after attending a Chicago Fire game and seeing Bigsoccer.com banners. I've been following the StL expansion since then (first anonymously, now with an occasional post). And since the Philly expansion I'm back to patiently waiting.

14. Ref-Stripes

Ref-Stripes New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    St. Louis native born and raised in Noth County, Pattonville grad (and yes I can read and write). Proud resident of South City for 6 years now. I moved down here during grad school.

I'm not a big MLS fan but I am huge supporter of bringing MLS to the STL. I watch the MLS but my passion is European Soccer the EPL and La Liga specifically. Man U and Real Madrid fan but for obvious reasons have found myself watching a lot of Fulham lately just as I will be following Villareal next season.

As you can tell by my username I am a ref (not of Futbol), but of Football so feel free to bash.

I played club soccer through highschool, but played baseball in college. I still play soccer occasionally and I am always looking for a game.

I am a future season ticket holder for the MLS in STL

15. Ref-Stripes

Ref-Stripes New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Oh I forgot the most important part of this post. I love Imos and haven't found many beers I won't drink.

16. rreynolds2186

rreynolds2186 Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Newton, IL
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello, all...I too am late to the party, but I figured I'd introduce myself nonetheless. This is actually my first ever post on Bigsoccer.com, so its only fitting that it is an introduction to fellow supporters of a future St. Louis MLS team.

My name is Ryan and I was born and currently live in Newton, IL, which is a small town of 3100 about 2 hours east of St. Louis. I've supported every St. Louis team all my life (except the Rams, which I started to support when they moved to St. Louis in '95), and I'm quite excited about having a soccer team nearby.

I've never really played soccer, other than pickup soccer with my buddies off and on throughout the years. But I've been a fan of soccer since the World Cup in 1998. I was twelve at the time and actually learned the game from playing "World Cup '98" on the Playstation. Since then, my love for the sport has only grown.

I am an avid US Men's National Team supporter, as well as Everton in the EPL. I probably don't know as much about the game as some of you in here, but I don't let that stop me. There's nothing better than continuing to learn and appreciate soccer even after being a fan for 10 years.

Sadly, I've never attended a soccer game in person, which is another reason why I cannot wait until St. Louis is awarded a team. It would be much more convenient for me to travel to St. Louis as opposed to Chicago, Columbus, etc.

I've watched the MLS off and on since it was founded and personally, I love where the league is headed. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I cannot wait until St. Louis is finally awarded a team, and I can be part of what will be one of the best fan bases in the league.

17. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    Hi Guys, my family's from East St Louis and we all grew up in Collinsville, I played at Collinsville and my club was NORCO back in the day. Hit plenty of Stars games as a kid and plenty of Bronze Boots too.

My brother and I are now long-time LA residents and Galaxy season ticket holders. Still have lots of family in Collinsville and we definitely look forward to seeing games there!

MONARCH BAY -- if you ever hit Galaxy games we should have a couple tailgate cocktails, we probably know a lot of the same people!

18. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any relation to a John O'Donnell? He was the manager at the Collinsville Schnucks.

19. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose after all these months I should introduce myself. Name's Liz, go to SIUE, Galaxy supporter, Love watching soccer, and used to play when I was little. I'm that girl that screams and burps louder than the men but fuss over my eyeliner...does that say enough? I like beer, rock music, and rednecks drive me nuts because I work with a ton of them.

The name's because I am a rocker and a girl. I can't wait to get sweaty jumping around for STL United with you guys. Cheers!! :D

20. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    No, but we know him!

21. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Will do!

As a DC United fan I get up there at least once a season. I have also had the great pleasure of going to the HDC for numerous USMNT games, College Cup, Youth World Cup, and MLS Championship games.

I am not sure if we would know many of the same people because I was not a "soccer guy" till after leaving Southern Illinois. I played football, basketball and ran track in high school. My Collinsville memories are of getting beaten by Kevin Stallings, Steve Ray, Rick George, John Belobradic and uhm, the other forward that went to NEMO for colege. I also have memories of a Kahok cheerleader, Karen. But that is a whole other story.

My soccer story from high school would be that we did not have a team till my senior year. As a first year team I believe we had a 500 record but we had lost to Granite North, the state champ, 10-0. I was sports editor of the yearbook and printed a photo of our bench players with these horrible looks on their face ( I beklieve they were actually squinting into the sun) and printed the caption, "Do we have to play Granite City North?"

22. jimmyodonnell

jimmyodonnell Member

May 1, 2003
    I'm sure we know plenty of folks mutually (outside of soccer) including those former Kahoks you mention here and others. If you're from ESL and lived in Belleville in the 70s or 80s, we know the same people!

DC United is another story, we'll agree to disagree there but we can still have a pregame or postgame cocktail.

23. STLCelticFan

STLCelticFan New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    O'Fallon, IL
    Well I am currently a police officer living in Illinois, but just took a job over in Missouri - so from the O'Fallon in Illinois to the O'Fallon area of Missouri I go.

As for soccer...I played club soccer in 1987-1988 U-18 (Keeper), no high school team (it took years for my Mississippi high school to get on board). I then played JUCO for one season before heading to school in Tennessee and playing a season at a small private college there. Then transfered to a larger public university with no team. I did ride the bench for the the old Nashville Metros indoor team for a few games. I ended up caoching a couple of seasons for a high school team in Tenn. and worked at the Vanderbilt camps in the Summer.

I have always followed Celtic and Bayern Munich. In the MSL I pretty much like to keep up with the Fire. I have lived in this area since 2000 but have not been active at all in youth soccer. Hoping to maybe get on with a program in the new town I am heading off to.

24. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious which small college in Tenn?

My son was talking with Covenant College near Chatanooga and the keeper on his HS team accepted a full ride to Libscomb in Nashville.

25. STLCelticFan

STLCelticFan New Member

Jul 26, 2008
    O'Fallon, IL
    I went to Lee over in Cleveland. CC is a decent school and used to have a solid program. We played CC, TWC and Tenn. Temple all in that area. I would have to think Lee and CC are pretty much the better programs in SE Tenn. Lee Memorial and Martin Methodist are good programs as well in the eastern half of the state.