Hey Andy, I've got (stole) an idea . . .

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Chris M., Dec 30, 2013.

1. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Obviously it becomes a revenue generator and eventually a profit center. That's a unique kind of marketing, one that makes money directly.

2. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A variation of Alpha King called Mike Magee Ball Sweat. I think it would sell to the same psychotic masochists who are willing to put Malort inside themselves.

3. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oooo Oooo it could be called "Fire Sucks" or "Team that sounds good on paper but plays like shit" (like Brown Sugah.)

Doesn't Miller Lite have an MLS affiliation? Wondering if that affects this possibility since no local brewery has any true sports affiliation here.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Chicago Fire Lite.
    No goals, no taste, less filling.

ceezmad, xtomx, Rulas and 1 other person repped this.
  5. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't know...I'm regularly filled with rage.

xtomx, bunge and evilmonkeycmand repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I have been filled with ulcers the last 3 or so seasons.

bunge repped this.
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is just brilliant.

8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignorant questions, but I ask because I don't understand what is keeping the Fire from broadcasting games over the radio in English.

Is it cost prohibitive? Hard to believe given the state of the market.
    Does the Fire's target market not listen to the radio? How about a live or near real-time audio podcast of games?
    Are there league rules preventing the Fire from doing this (e.g. MLS Live non-compete)? If so, I nominate bunge to do the play-by-play and looonix to provide the color commentary for an unofficial broadcast. :D

If I can't watch a game, like when I'm stuck in Chicago's wonderful traffic, it would be nice to tune into a game.

________

Speaking of being stuck in your car, I would greatly appreciate it if Bridgeview and/or the Fire would make it easier to get out of Toyota Park. The free-for-all crawl to a couple of open gates coupled with the, "I paid 15 bucks to sit in this?" realization is probably enough to make a lot of fair-weather fans think twice about coming back.

I won't bother requesting the Fire pay a parking subsidy to Bridgeview, because it's probably too cost prohibitive (e.g. 6,700 cars x $5 = $33,500 per game), but cheaper parking would make the commute (in and out) a little more bearable since public transportation options are inconvenient/limited for many fans.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    WBIG in Aurora used to carry games on the radio in English in the early 2000s. Chris Doran was the pbp guy.

I think it just did not generate any money since I think they were paying the radio station to be on the air with little to no sponsor interest. (I dont know the full details though.)

I think if done well a radio broadcast in English can work. Just need to find the right station, the right broadcast team and the right personnel behind the scenes. And of course a good sales team that can bring in sponsors.
    AM Radio Program directors just care about money during brokered hours on weekends.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The Fire seem to be struggling with finding out who the target market is. We know Latinos listen on the Spanish radio affiliate which I think is LA Ley.
    A podcast or stream would have to be approved by MLS but I dont think it would take much. Just need people to do it and sponsors to provide cash flow. I would like to be a part of this venture if it ever develops.

Would be cool to do some sort of Tunein radio app stream or XBbox one iheart radio or slacker radio type of thing.

The Fire needs to think about the future.

11. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the FCC would ban bunge and myself 2 minutes into the broadcast. ;)

Pablo Chicago and bunge repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Would have to be some sort of satellite radio thing then. :p

13. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in 2002 and 2003 seasons, I think the only reason we go WBIG to our games was because we were playing in Naperville. Maybe if we get a BIG name player(s), that maybe we would be able to get sponsor for the radio broadcasts.

Did you or anybody listen to the radio broadcasts in 2002/2003? If so how were they? How was Chris Doran as the pbp guy?

Spend money to make money.....

Chris Doran repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    used to listen to it online. I thought Chris Doran was really good.

Chris Doran repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was okay. Better than what we have on TV now. :D

bunge repped this.
  16. No doubt Bunge and loonixxx have looked forward to this opportunity since their Space Cadet days.:cool:

bunge and loonixxx repped this.
  17. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Fire games should be on WSCR or WMVP, if the Depaul Blue Demons can get games on radio so should we. No one at the Fire has built the relationship with those stations to make it happen. It should be a no brainer for the stations since the games are usually on during worthless radio time, meaning weekends. The Fire radio listener would presumably have the dial turned to the station on Monday morning, which is why a station should do it. The demo of the Fire is the same one that makes sports talk so profitable, 18-35 year olds.

xtomx, loonixxx and bunge repped this.
  18. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a big time player or 2 and a good winning team, yeah sure, a radio broadcast could be nice but right now, the people who care about them are either at the game, watch on tv or check the score after their done wiping their ass.

19. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Radio helps build more people who care. They should spend some money getting on radio.

Chris M. repped this.
  20. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree but it still would be a significant addition when it will eventually matter.

Theres a fine line between people who want to see entertaining winning soccer and people who need to see entertaining winning soccer. There are people who watch only the EPL and there are people who only watch one or two teams from the EPL. I've met way more people who are only a fan of one team who are somewhat interested in MLS than i've met EPL league snobs.
    Radio will not blur these lines. Wouldn't even make my top 25 things i'd like to see (hear). But...when the time is right...

iron81 repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    If or no other reason radio could be an important outlet for sponsors. We want someone to pay seven figures a year for stadium naming rights. That includes a certain number of impressions on TV and now it includes even more on radio. That increases the number you can bargain for when negotiating.

Without it we have less to offer any potential sponsors. From a business perspective we look small market and amateur without it in this town. All of these sponsors get radio when they work with any other sports team in town. This holds us back.

22. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Internet killed the video star....

burningfire and loonixxx repped this.
  24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hummmm, maybe get the TV show to pay for the radio station (NBC?) and the FIRE can get the benefit for free. :coffee:

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The city and the FIRE split the parking right, so at most we could get it 50% off (if the FIRE did not collect on their share), as a ticket season holder you are allowed to buy half off parking tickets (the village still gets their share).

Is a very good deal IMO.

But yes the casuals can’t get that deal, which sucks for them.