Pre-match: Hex Match 1: Feb 6 USA @ Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Big Chil in Denver, Nov 15, 2012.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How 'bout that . . .

Yes, Bengston's miss was huge. I remember breathing a big sigh of relief. Dempsey had one called back for pushing on Figueroa, remember? It was also Danny Williams first USA game. I
    was on that side the first half. Michael Bradley was a late sub, lol.

Next morning, I met Dempsey's wife at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. A very nice lady.
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...mpseys-wife-in-ft-lauderdale-airport.1831959/

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who missed the sitter in the 6 yard box? Shea?

3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you at the game, too, Lloyd?

Yep, he did. Jozy fought off a defender and laid a nice ball onto his run.

Here is the USA match report.
    Altidore powerfully dribbled into the area, held off a defender and then rolled a pass on the ground to the unmarked Shea, but the ball skipped off the wet turf and Shea overran it by a half-step. As he went to shoot, he toppled over the ball with a yawning wide-open net in front of him.

Gooch missed one later.

4. menancyandsam

menancyandsam New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Considering our lack of Wide pacey mid fielders. I think having either Jonhson or (Lichaj if FJ is hurt) @ LB & moving Castillo up to LW would make sense. Jones as a #6, Bradley up above him. At RW I wouldn't mind Gatt or Zusi. Keep Demps & Altitore up top. Demp can drop if needed to find the ball.

5. usry723

usry723 Member+

Aug 14, 2008
    Georgia, USA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My lineup (4-1-3-2):

GK: Howard
    LB: F. Johnson (Chandler)
    CB: Cameron (Bocanegra)
    CB: Gonzalez
    RB: Chandler (Cameron)
    CDM: Williams
    LM: E. Johnson
    CM: Bradley
    RM: Zusi
    ST: Altidore
    ST: Dempsey

(Parentheses are if Fab can't go.)

6. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i tend to like yur 11 with boca and gonzo in the middle and cameron outside

7. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    We very well might. A draw would be good, a win would be great.

8. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    if you give me a draw right now, i would take it

soccerusa517 repped this.
  9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I was there.

I think we discussed it somewhere here before, I was bitching about about what I thought was an excessive parking fee, LOL.

What I remember most about our "talk" was realizing we were both at the US - Canada game in 1980....after 30 years we can still play like unholy crap vs Canada

deuteronomy repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your country is also poor when it takes the day off for qualifying.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Settling for a link ...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/01/americans-abroad-weekend-preview-14.html

12. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say 40% chance we lose, 40% we draw and 20% we win. Just my opinion but worried about injuries to backline. Tricky game.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    In the same boat here.
    I would say an early goal would ease my suffering a bit but then the Jamaica match comes to mind.

14. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Why is it that forwards do not have to had done anything to be consistently brought in ?. Case in point . Eddie Johnson is not a good forward. He scores sometimes against weaker opponents but does not do anything spectacular to warrant call ups over and over . It started when he was just coming up and has continued. I can't even name consistent forwards that we have except dempsey.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I think you answered your own question. Name six consistent forwards and we'll start bringing them in. In the meantime, let's hope Altidore brings his A-game to Honduras.

16. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    EJ had a very good season for Seattle. Found himself a good rhythm. Got called into camp and trained well. Scored a couple goals against A&B. Was one of our most dangerous play makers against Guatemala on the wings. And was active against Canada.

He has earned a spot on the team in my opinion.

TimB4Last repped this.
  17. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
    Or even Herculez Gomez?!

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Sure, earned a spot. However, some people are suggesting he should be starting, which I think is ludicrous.

His good MLS season and goals against the minnow A&B probably bought him at least a few more months on the roster, but I would like to see him do something against a half decent opponent. Score in Honduras, Score in Mexico, Score in Costa Rica,etc.

Anyway, I don't see how he is anything other than the 3rd or possibly 4th striker right now. Jozy and Herculez Gomez are both clearly ahead of him on the depth chart, and I think Boyd and Agudelo bring more to the National Team.

I think come World Cup time, he will be an afterthought. Maybe he is making rosters now, but he is what he is. He beats up against weak competition and struggles against good competition. I think he will definitely be passed by at least two or three of Boyd, Agudelo, Bruin, Johansson, Wood, Wooten, Salgado, Villarreal, etc.

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Starting is an option though. It is all up to how he performs in practice. I don't think Klinsmann really knows who is starting 11 is, so he is keeping an open mind. We should keep an open mind.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Sounded like fun from your end.. I know we got into some pregame banter with Americans outside in the parking lot. Was fun

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    doesn't even matter...

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I like keeping an open mind, but EJ should not be an option. He simply just isn't very good. He gets by against MLS teams and weaker international opponents because of his size, speed and strength. When he has to go against better players, his lack of technical ability is quite obvious.

Assuming that we go with three attacking players/strikers, it seems like Dempsey and Altidore are locks, while Gomez is a favorite of Klinsmann. I just don't see a place for Eddie Johnson in the starting line up. Off the bench, I don't like him in that position either. I think Agudelo is a lot more active, makes things happen, and is the perfect super sub off the bench.

Maybe this is just because I have never been a fan of EJ, but I think it really shows our lack of attacking options that a failed player in Europe can come back to the MLS to pad his stats in a weak league, and then solidify a spot on the National Team by scoring two goals against the #115 ranked National Team in the world.

23. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

All I really needed to read. :p

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  24. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 goals and 1 assist in his last 2 WCQs and we are playing Honduras next. Sounds like EJ meets even your biased criteria!

25. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think EJ is being considered as a true Center Forward, but more as a AM or a wing player. So comparing him to other forwards is the wrong approach. His competition on the national team at the moment seems to be the other attack minded midfielders.

In a 4132. EJ is one of the 3 in the midfield.
    In a 4231. EJ is 1 of the 3 in the midfield.
    In a 433, maybe he is one of the forwards, but he wouldn't be the CF.

Also, since Donovan is out we are thin in the attacking midfield position.

Excellency and TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.