Pre-match: Hex Match 1: Feb 6 USA @ Honduras

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Big Chil in Denver, Nov 15, 2012.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Someone suggested Sunday/Monday, after the weekend games for the European-based players. Word on individual players will likely trickle (Twitter) out over the weekend, before the official announcement.

Bradley has a game tomorrow (Friday); Dempsey on Sunday - perhaps someone here would like to chart the weekend's schedule of relevant games for us. :)

2. StrikerX4

StrikerX4 Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Lawrence, NJ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be stunned if Davis was on the roster. He hasn't been a part of anything up until now, and he was poor against Canada. He has very little to contribute to the nats in my opinion.

Bruin doesn't seem to have much of a chance either, because there are a lot of guys in front of him at striker.

I think that there are some things that are up in the air still. I think it's time to give Jozy a start. He's a better player than Gomez, and he's done everything he could possibly do for AZ in recent memory. He wasn't bad against Russia either.

I think that it'll also be interesting to see which strikers make it. Assuming Jozy, Dempsey and Gomez are in, how many other strikers are we bringing? Would EJ be the next striker? Will there be another Alan Gordon type of a call up?

What we do at DM is also still a question. Danny Williams is not on form, but will he hold on to his job? Edu has been playing lately, so maybe he has a chance? Beckerman had one of his strongest performances, but it was against a very weak Canada side - did he earn a start from this? Or maybe Klinsmann goes way out of the box and tries Geoff Cameron at DM (Omar-Boca as CB pairing) - nothing seen or said makes this seem likely, but I must admit it's an experiment I wouldn't mind.

Konut repped this.
  3. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I agree with your earlier thought that Zusi is about 50-50. Two, maybe three of the four of Zusi, Altidore, EJ or Gomez will play.
    2. There is a possibility that Jones, who has not played since the middle of December will be left off the roster.
    3. If he is left off, who would play there. It would not surprise me to see Kljestan start, Dempsey has played in the hole for Tottenham in most of his starts.
    4. I would offer that Edu might play at DM, ahead of Williams or Beckerman. It is a toss up between the three.
    5. I think Bocanegra and Cameron will start at CB. There is a small possibility we will see something different.
    6. Also a possibility of a 4-4-2 like we saw Tuesday night. Would not surprise me at all.

---------------------------------Howard----------------------------------
    ----Chandler-------Cameron--------Boca---------------------Fabian
    ----------------------------Beckerman--------------------------------
    -----------------------------Bradley-------------------------------------
    Gomez--------------------Dempsey-------------------------Johnson
    ---------------------------Altidore--------------------------------------

4. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is my other prediction.

Conor Casey ate the smallish Honduran defenders up four years ago.

If they don't get someone with some size, Jozy will be the MOTM.

Mr Martin and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  5. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they have Bernardez who has plenty of size and physicality
    Edit: I think this is also a game that'll tell us whether EJ is for real or not in terms of whether he's a long term option at the LW

deuteronomy repped this.
  6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Is there a chat room that you guys all...?" - Michael Bluth

Seriously though, he wasnt poor.

7. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Jozy played our defense already in Miami.. I don't recall him eating any of our CBs up then. Osman Chavez and Muma

8. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I don't feel like engaging in an x league is better than y league thing since Austria and MLS aren't far off so it's silly to call it a "low level."

Boyd is unique to the other FWDs in the pool in his strengths. I'd take him over any of our other strikers in that Canada because of his presence and muscle in the box and earns the occasional pk.

He definitely has a lot of things to work out - I'm pretty sure he hasn't scored a goal off a shot this year (Headers, bicycle kick, volley flick-ons) but that'll come.

9. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    After weekend games. It's been noted that we shouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a roster list until the first practice.

10. aw072760

aw072760 Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I've learned that 2 days before the game isn't irregular. Just curious, thanks though.

11. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I don't know if I am reporting old news, but I see via Twitter that Feilhaber is "heading to KC" and therefore not in the travel squad.

Has that already been posted here? I know that he is not a fashionable choice and so many here likely say "duh" to his not being included. For myself, I withhold my opinion on what impact his not being called -- if true -- will have on the squad depending on who else is called.

But as relates to him specifically, I am disappointed (again, if true).

12. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ives Galarcep has just reported that Honduran LB Emilio Izaguirre will likely miss the match after suffering a knee injury in his last club match...Sounds like he'd be a significant loss...

13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Reported it last page.

I said Maynor Figueroa will just push over to the left, but yes.. he's a pretty serious blow tactically wise.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  14. sacpasse87

sacpasse87 Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Beijing
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, just showed on my twitter feed...

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    naw all good... just hurts me a little knowing he won't be there when it matters most :(

16. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I saw this trick earlier , Blues are my comments.
    I think Edu DM? I don't think DW He can't even see form from where he is at right now?
    Gonzo may get run out instead of Boca and I am ok with that but who knows with Mr Jurgen?
    Beckerman gets called in of course, heck he might start. SMH

17. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was the pre- keepyeraz in the Netherlands kid Jozy , not this man, Mr Jozy Altidore.

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm sure Muma will introduce himself to Mr. Altidore with his patented no look reckless abandonment-like tackle, don't forget about the pinky up.

19. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might lose. Concerned about Chandler's commitment, Johnson and Dolo's health. A draw would be fine.

20. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The level of the league is just an example. His skill on the ball is lower than any of our competing forwards i'd say. He is indeed unique & what he lacks he makes up for with some of the most physicality of any of our forwards. I think his talent on the ball though is possibly having Jurgen ponder other young strikers for the moment though. Bruin has a mixture of both worlds if you will so I could definitely see Jurgen interested in (grooming) him.

21. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont expect him to be in the squad but someone mentioned this on Twitter & I didnt really see it as any sort of news. Omar Gonzalez went back to LA. I cant see Gonzalez not going to Honduras so players flying back to their city's i'd assume doesnt really matter.

EDIT: I just noticed his tweet said he's going to KC on Saturday so that probably does bury the hatchet.

22. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I was at that friendly. It was played in a tropical depression.

Honduran defenders, Marvin Chavez and Boniek Garcia both got cards, as did Jozy. Tough night for everyone, but Klinsmann's first victory. I think you will see a different Altidore down there in Catracholand. He is a bull and enjoying an outstanding season in Holland. He will be a handful for you guys.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm sure he is, not doubting that at all, but he isn't going to out muscle our defenders easily. Osman Chavez, Maynor Figueroa, or El Muma Bernardez are just as big as he is.

btw Marvin and Boniek aren't defenders lol.. and you might see Tropical Depression like weather on Wednesday.

I was also at that game, I remembered Bengtson's miss.. never liked him.

24. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    I get that, I see Bruin as a mix between Jozy and Gomez and better than neither at anything. Boyd offers something that I don't think any of the other strikers do and does it well. He's a bunker buster and a hell of a target on the counter.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if Boyd is left out, wouldn't be happy if it was for Bruin though.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree on Boyd. For me, Bruin's talents come together to make a slightly better forward at the moment. We'll see. Its interesting though. Does he want someone with a few attributes that really stand out or the more well rounded player of the two? I personally dont have either in my projected squad but if Bruin is named, it is because Jurgen finds him to be a more well rounded prospect at this time.

Foolishness repped this.